19? is it missing a lid?

bsmith1

quality posts: 93 Private Messages bsmith1
besta929 wrote:19? is it missing a lid?

Looks like no lid for "pie plate".

Also... First Sucker! Yay?

c2jflk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages c2jflk

Too late for all those Thanksgiving leftovers, but still a fantastic deal.

elbob1023

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elbob1023

This is a really good deal. The cheapest I could find it anywhere else online was a few pennies shy of $50 before shipping.

Pyrex makes some good stuff. I've got a few pieces already, and will happily add this set to my collection of various implements of culinary destruction.

JaMiKu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JaMiKu

There are several pieces without lids. Mostly the bowls.

stkidsdoc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages stkidsdoc

Looks like a good deal, but there have been concerns with Pyrex and other glass products shattering... glass bakeware companies switched from borosilicate glass (which is what our chemistry lab kit stuff was/is made of) to less expensive soda lime glass. This soad lime glass is more likely to shatter.

Consumer Reports had an article about this, October 2011.

redfoot1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redfoot1

Excellent value here. Just bought one to allow me to clean up some clutter! See link for comparison price:
http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/pyrex/easy-grab-bake-set-1093838

wsgm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wsgm

Does anyone know if the lids are safe for the dishwasher and/or microwave? I'm assuming that the fridge and freezer are fine and the oven is right out.

cityonthesea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cityonthesea
wsgm wrote:Does anyone know if the lids are safe for the dishwasher and/or microwave? I'm assuming that the fridge and freezer are fine and the oven is right out.

Yes, that is how my Pyrex lids are - microwave and dishwasher safe; obviously, keep them out of the oven.

tom12385

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tom12385

I would like to add to the comment regarding a change in construction.

I had a 9x13 Pyrex baking dish that I accidentally left on the gas stove with a pilot light hitting it for about five seconds. I set it on a towel on my table and a few hours later heard a catastrophic crash. The entire thing had shattered into these horrible razor thin shards of glass. It was impossible to clean up.

I will note, however, that I loved this thing, so much. I'd suggest that if the manufacturing process is a concern for you that you make sure you take extra special care of them. They always held up to oven heat (I've got a ten year old bread pan I still use.) Just make sure not to allow any direct flame to it.

editorkid

quality posts: 89 Private Messages editorkid

Looks like a great way to get some microwave-safe dishes... just the other day I realized most of mine had been lost to potlucks. Now to mull over whether I'm in for one or two.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
stkidsdoc wrote:Looks like a good deal, but there have been concerns with Pyrex and other glass products shattering... glass bakeware companies switched from borosilicate glass (which is what our chemistry lab kit stuff was/is made of) to less expensive soda lime glass. This soad lime glass is more likely to shatter.

Hmmm: that's very disingenuous practice. I think we all associate Pyrex with the kind of synthetic glass that has a high melting point and doesn't shatter easily, just as we remember from high school. Not impressed if this is the case.
Not impresssed.

SWBeauty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SWBeauty
stkidsdoc wrote:Looks like a good deal, but there have been concerns with Pyrex and other glass products shattering... glass bakeware companies switched from borosilicate glass (which is what our chemistry lab kit stuff was/is made of) to less expensive soda lime glass. This soad lime glass is more likely to shatter.

I have Pyrex from the 1950's and it's still intact... if anything is chipped, it's from use and nothing to do with its ability to withstand heat, cold, etc. I hang onto what I have because it was my grandmother's and mother's... hoping this set will give me the courage to throw out the old (sentimental) stuff so my son doesn't inherit stuff that's 100 years old but gets the new, pretty stuff. (If it doesn't hold up like the old stuff, my son can throw it out and relieve himeself of more crap from his mother!!)

Talesin

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Talesin

In for one. Already have an 8x8 and a covered round casserole, and been annoyed when they're in the fridge and full of leftovers.

I've never had one of these shatter; I've chipped one or two and had the cracks slowly spread before tossing them out though.

Definitely an instabuy for me. Not sure what I'll do with the custard cups though. I don't go for custard or jello all that often, though I suppose they'll do nicely for dipping sauces or mise en place cooking.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1062 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Cheapest (vs. $39.99 + $5 shipping here) is $69.08 total cost when I froogled it

When you go to Pyrex, it's not on their website that I could find (edit: found--see below, same price). However, they send you to shopworldkitchen.com since World Kitchen bought out Pyrex's consumer products division from Corning 11 years ago. There, it's $59.99 on sale with $11.25 shipping (but free shipping only kicks in with over $75 purchase):

and Pyrex's PR responses (including their breakage potential, and that the products are made in the U.S.):
http://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=30

and I have no direct/indirect ties to Corning or World Kitchen (which I hadn't heard of until now). I haven't had the chance to read the Consumer Reports article mentioned above. Judge for yourself.

lll0228

quality posts: 34 Private Messages lll0228
whatsamattaU wrote:Cheapest (vs. $39.99 + $5 shipping here) is $69.08 total cost when I froogled it

When you go to Pyrex, it's not on their website that I could find. However, they send you to shopworldkitchen.com since World Kitchen bought out Pyrex's consumer products division from Corning 11 years ago. There, it's $59.99 on sale with $11.25 shipping (but free shipping only kicks in with over $75 purchase):

and Pyrex's PR responses (including their breakage potential, and that the products are made in the U.S.):
http://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=30

and I have no direct/indirect ties to Corning or World Kitchen (which I hadn't heard of until now). I haven't had the chance to read the Consumer Reports article mentioned above. Judge for yourself.

This post should be a "Quality Post" to correct the unsubstantiated misinformation above. And the above misinformation should be removed from the quality post if that's possible, since it's anything but quality.

Putting a glassware on top of open flame creates a big thermal gradient across the cross section of the glass, which would cause ANY glass to shatter. It's explicitly stated in the glassware's manual. That is NOT Pyrex's fault, but once again, a user error. It's actually worse that it was a small flame, since the heating was localized and the thermal gradient causes even higher stress.

Don't less user error and misinformation affect your opinion on some really solid Pyrex glassware.

That said, this is NOT the only instance where the American version of the same product is made out of cheaper materials. Pyrex (the brand) does it, Gillette does it (Gillette's shaving foam and gel are denser in Europe and Asia), and many cars like Ford, and many cellphones are intentionally crippled as well. Why do we stand for it, I don't know. If you are pissed about this, contact the manufacturers and voice your complaints.

c2jflk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages c2jflk

Pyrex website lists this set for 59.99 and does claim they are microwave safe

michaels1715

quality posts: 9 Private Messages michaels1715

There is a discussion here about Pyrex and Corningware:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/cooking/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx211KPGGBLHNC6&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx105CBKW8EWL0A&cdMsgID=Mx2YNJV2YT1I4MT#Mx2YNJV2YT1I4MT

I am trying to compare this deal to Walmart's BF price of $19.97 (today only, in store only) for the Pyrex 20-piece "Bake N Store" Set. They aren't similar enough sets to be able to compare them though...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/17164645?&findingMethod=ecircular

whatsamattaU

c2jflk wrote:Pyrex website lists this set for 59.99 and does claim they are microwave safe

Thanks for finding it. I edited my entry above, too.

jkeown13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkeown13

i just ordered 2 sets on accedent. anyone no if theres a way to cancel one or both before its processed or shipped.

Emmnemms

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Emmnemms

Just for a warning (from kinda-personal experience): If you place a pyrex on a hot burner, it will send glass shards EVERYWHERE!

My mum accidentally placed a baking dish with proofing rolls onto a burner that was hot (she wasn't aware it was on) and left the room. Next thing we knew, glass was EVERYWHERE! Glad she wasn't in the room! Sadly, we couldn't eat the rolls afterwards

MichXelle

quality posts: 35 Private Messages MichXelle

I love pyrex and always have. This is the simple glass pyrex but it does it's job. Thinking about it. I could have used it today actually.

OVER 518 W00T CARTFULS as of 04/01/14. You're killing us with wonderful items W000T!

OVER 7 years on The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months.

whatsamattaU

jkeown13 wrote:i just ordered 2 sets on accedent. anyone no if theres a way to cancel one or both before its processed or shipped.

Easiest way to go: Click the "write us" link at the top right of the page, then enter the text on the left hand column. The "more work" alternative is to email service@woot.com (also mentioned on that page).

MichXelle

quality posts: 35 Private Messages MichXelle
jkeown13 wrote:i just ordered 2 sets on accedent. anyone no if theres a way to cancel one or both before its processed or shipped.

Email them as soon as possible and tell Woot you hit the buy 2 key by accident. They might be able to assist especially on a holiday when it hasn't shipped yet,

Good luck.

OVER 518 W00T CARTFULS as of 04/01/14. You're killing us with wonderful items W000T!

OVER 7 years on The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months.

whatsamattaU

Emmnemms wrote:Just for a warning (from kinda-personal experience): If you place a pyrex on a hot burner, it will send glass shards EVERYWHERE!

My mum accidentally placed a baking dish with proofing rolls onto a burner that was hot (she wasn't aware it was on) and left the room. Next thing we knew, glass was EVERYWHERE! Glad she wasn't in the room! Sadly, we couldn't eat the rolls afterwards

More specific Pyrex safety advice can be found using link on the page from my original Pyrex response link earlier http://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=30
. The safety link will get you here:

http://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=32

but the advice is also on this Pyrex repsonse page...

including video demonstrating this from Sandra Lee (no, not Sara Lee):

jkeown13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkeown13

thanks for your help.

whatsamattaU

MichXelle wrote:I love pyrex and always have. This is the simple glass pyrex but it does it's job. Thinking about it. I could have used it today actually.

If I hadn't just bought the Lock & Lock stuff, I would have bought this by now. Still thinking about it myself, since I have glass pyrex, too.

whatsamattaU

jkeown13 wrote:thanks for your help.

You're welcome. It might be worthwhile to read the "write us" and the "what is ___ woot?" sections once for reference (depending on which woot site you're on). Hope they solve your problem later today. They might use private messaging (the envelope character in the upper right, just above wootbot's initial entry). Good night y'all!

manywaters

quality posts: 2 Private Messages manywaters

Corning stopped using borosilicate glass in their cookware 60 years ago. The tempered soda-lime glass has a much better resistance to breakage from being dropped. They're about equal in their resistance to thermal shock. If you need total thermal shock resistance you,ll want to get Glass-ceramic like CorningWare Visions.

Wigi

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Wigi

This seems like a bargain to me. Pyrex has a good reputation and quality products. If I didn't already have all the various items offered in this deal, I would definitely be in for at least 1.

There are 3 types of people in the world, those who can count and those that can't.

aquastardreamer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aquastardreamer

Was just at at a friend's house last night who had this set. It was great putting all the thanksgiving stuff away by just throwing on the cover
I'm in for a set.

urslf

quality posts: 4 Private Messages urslf
richardhod wrote:Hmmm: that's very disingenuous practice. I think we all associate Pyrex with the kind of synthetic glass that has a high melting point and doesn't shatter easily, just as we remember from high school. Not impressed if this is the case.
Not impresssed.

I had one burst and shatter into 1000 pieces on me. Warmed it up in the oven, so I could butter it easy and then filled it with dough - KABOOM

???
you woot people - "very funny" HAHA

Fluffy215

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Fluffy215

I think this would be awesome for those neighbor/co-worker holiday gifts. Now you just have to fill it with a sweet or savory gift to give in it. 10 gifts knocked off my list

JJH280

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JJH280

I have it. I love it. I recommend it. My wife decided there would be no storing food in plastic once we had the little one. I was smart enough to say we needed pyrex and 5 years later it is what we use.

mamadobble

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mamadobble
SWBeauty wrote: hoping this set will give me the courage to throw out the old (sentimental) stuff so my son doesn't inherit stuff that's 100 years old but gets the new, pretty stuff.

That makes me want to cry epic tears of sadness. I would kill for your old Pyrex and dishes from the 50's, no matter how ugly they are...

...Don't throw them out!! They REALLY don't make bake ware like that anymore!!

mamadobble

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mamadobble
whatsamattaU wrote:If I hadn't just bought the Lock & Lock stuff, I would have bought this by now. Still thinking about it myself, since I have glass pyrex, too.

Lock & Lock is AWESOME. I hope they sell it on woot soon. I had a whole set that lasted for over 10 years. I broke (by force and accident) my last container a few years ago. Now we have one container that my husband got from his family and I still love it!

coyhaven

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coyhaven

To Rally for my beloved TUPPERWARE that is why they have a line of METAL cookware,you know pots and pans.

That said there actaly was a line of Tupperware PLASICWARE called Ovenworks that did very well in the OVEN YES THE OVEN

For the lovers of the 50's based pyrex you can normally find scads on Ebay and in your local Goodwill. I buy it and resell it, there is a very BIG following for many of the older discontinued patterns I never have trouble finding it or selling it.

As a personal experience on the exploding nature of pyrex on the stove top,my son put a pyrex cutting board on my electric flat top range and turned the burner on,sounded like a gun shot when it exploded sending hot shards of glass EVERYWHERE. He was lucky he was standing on the one side where there was no glass. I had holes in my carpet and I swear 5 lbs of glass to clean up.It could have been a lot worse as far as he could have been injured,he told me he was trying to dry something-some peoples KIDS

akhoward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akhoward
bsmith1 wrote:Looks like no lid for "pie plate".

Also... First Sucker! Yay?

You don't need a lid for a pie as the pie rises above the dishes level. that's why you see the ridges on the edge to shape the pies crust. Of course all of this based on you knowing how to make a pie!

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 35 Private Messages Pufferfishy

If you're old like me, or are running a meth lab - beware: "Pyrex" is no longer like old-school Pyrex. When the brand was sold (and (surprise) moved to China) the glass was reformulated to a (surprise) much cheaper formula, and no longer has "true" Pyrex hot-to-cold or cold-to-hot capabilities. It will shatter.

You've been put on posting probation for this post