breaddrink

quality posts: 20 Private Messages breaddrink
barbiejb wrote:I thought about all that AFTER I bought this. Oh well. I'll just figure it out as I go and have the griddle handy just in case. Thanks for the heads up

Considering you'd be flipping a flat sided object onto a raised surface when flipping them, it might just work better to stick the pan under a broiler to set the top and then serve them.

I think I'll grab one of these. My kids are getting a bit older and I want to inflict this upon their memories before it's too late.

granny24

quality posts: 2 Private Messages granny24
meljenjon wrote:Where does one find cloudberry jam in the US? I have never seen it outside of Finland.

IKEA

vmforrest

quality posts: 9 Private Messages vmforrest

Where does one find cloudberry jam in the US? I have never seen it outside of Finland.

Here?

...OR...

Here?!

thomas998

quality posts: 22 Private Messages thomas998
speedogirl2 wrote:Are you supposed to flip the pancakes over in this type of pan? It would seem one side wouldn't get the smiley impression or get cooked properly on one side?

Bingo, you nailed the problem. We got one of these at Christmas and it is a pain in the a#% to flip them because it is hard to get them out and then place them back in the hole. And when you do do it the are already cooked enough on the back side that they won't fit in the hole because the hole has the smiley face in it. Our solution was to simply dump them on another flat gridle. Only issue then is you have more to clean.

tilde

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tilde
ThatPoshGirl wrote:Arg! I don't understand why they would put a nonstick coating on cast iron. Properly seasoned cast iron is just as nonstick as the stupid coating, and not as toxic. Boo. I really wanted this.

THIS. They had me until non-stick. Unless it's whatever the La Cruset pans are done it (no brain today, it took a leap).

ivannabc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ivannabc

I have one of these Christmas themed. I tried to make little pancakes at Christmas but it was a complete disaster. Thanks to everyone for the chopstick flip idea. Now I think I might buy one of these to make little pancakes when it isn't Christmas.

tatterbits

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tatterbits

Now I want pancakes for breakfast.

nbk34zl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nbk34zl

when you flip them, how does the back side cook or does it have the face on both sides? sorry im not following here

tatterbits

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tatterbits

Bi-polar panacakes.. whoo hooo

arusula

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arusula
WhiteRice0 wrote:My GF actually has one of these things, and it makes some decent pancakes (just takes a bit of getting used to having multiple little cakes on just one pan)

Now, if you just add some chocolate chips to the batter, then you're ready for breakfast.

My favorite is mini m&m's. They are kind of psychedelic.

grasshopper2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages grasshopper2

Love it!
Going to purchase at jcpenny's as soon as I get my $10 off coupon- the coupons are pretty frequent! I'm sure my kiddos will love the pancakes and I love the $12 price

Narfcake

quality posts: 288 Private Messages Narfcake

Is it bad that my very first thought was "Does Walmazan know about this pan?"

sharonkay

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sharonkay

I was curious about this as well ... I found some reviews on a similar type of pan ... they give experience notes on what temperature to cook the pancakes at, how they flipped them, and using a second griddle to finish them off (which would mean you could make double the amount of pancakes in the same amount of time and all with smiles!) ...

Check out the reviews/hints

sharonkay

Wow I just found this same pan at Sears for $66.05 plus shipping

Sears pan

theesillyone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theesillyone

I didn't read every comment but I don't think you have to flip them... they're 'thin' pancakes so they SHOULD cook all the way through just fine... at least they will in my mind. We'll see. I just ordered one for myself... after ordering the refurb Dyson yesterday. WOOT GAME FACE IS ON BABY!!!!!

Woot Game Face!!!

sgkarr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sgkarr

Cute...and you turn them over HOW??

hmglass

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hmglass
vladistov wrote:The Scandinavians enjoy little pancakes made in such a pan. If you like the idea and are not interested in the faces, I suggest browsing for a 'plett pan'. These are not so difficult to make as one may think, and the result is simply delicious, especially with cloudberry jam!

You mean Ebleskiver?

hmglass

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hmglass
meljenjon wrote:Where does one find cloudberry jam in the US? I have never seen it outside of Finland.

Try Cost Plus World Market, if there isn't a Trader Joe's near ya. Possibly even Whole Foods - who may order it for ya.

As for location... I thought Cloudberries were more of a Norway thing?

ChgoOptician

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ChgoOptician
kkessler wrote:I've considered cooking the pancakes on one side and dumping the whole pan onto a normal flat griddle to cook the other side, but then that's 2 dirty pans!

I was considering this for a Girl Scout camping trip. We need two pans going anyhow. And I need girls working together to prepare meals. This could be cool. One pours into smiley guy, flips into empty pan, second GS flips onto plate. That could work. Love slave labor! ! !

norin731

quality posts: 1 Private Messages norin731

My baby girl is approaching the age for Sunday morning pancakes made by Dad, this is a perfect accoutrement to this day!

sharonkay

I just bought 3!! Woot! I have officially begun my 2012 Christmas shopping!

I will use one pan for our family, and get proficient using it ... make notes to give with the other 2 pans. I have two teenagers that text a lot so they will get a kick out of this.

The other two pans are Christmas gifts ... one for a young teen niece who is a texter ... the other for sister-in-law for her 3 kids. I think they will all get a kick out of this pan!

Thanks woot for a good price on shipping all 3 pans!!

thatonechik

quality posts: 4 Private Messages thatonechik

Is this pan safe for glass top stoves?

debragr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages debragr
ChgoOptician wrote:I was considering this for a Girl Scout camping trip. We need two pans going anyhow. And I need girls working together to prepare meals. This could be cool. One pours into smiley guy, flips into empty pan, second GS flips onto plate. That could work. Love slave labor! ! !

I have one of these and I find the easiest thing to do is use a second pan to flip them on, especially as my children don't care if there's only one smiley face on each.

They don't flip the way a regular pancake does, and sometimes seem almost closer to waffles than pancakes, but it works with a little practice.

lyricmezzosoprano

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lyricmezzosoprano

I live in a Russian district of Sac, so right around the corner is a market called "European Delicatessen" where everything is written 75% in Russian and 25% English, and that's where I buy it.

Edit: Wow, the reply button didn't work that time.

lwsmith3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwsmith3

You won't find those JCP coupons anymore. They went coupon-free at the beginning of February, and are instead offering lower cost items all the time, so...sadly you will be waiting awhile.

sharonkay

sgkarr wrote:Cute...and you turn them over HOW??

I'm going to use my bamboo tongs ... I've read that chopsticks or other non-metal utensils work as well.

sharonkay

theesillyone wrote:I didn't read every comment but I don't think you have to flip them... they're 'thin' pancakes so they SHOULD cook all the way through just fine... at least they will in my mind. We'll see. I just ordered one for myself... after ordering the refurb Dyson yesterday. WOOT GAME FACE IS ON BABY!!!!!

I would think you would still want to brown them on the 2nd side otherwise they might look a little "ill" so to speak.

I'm going to flip them onto a skillet to finish up the second side while I pour a new batch on this pan ... we should be able to get a lot more done this way ... and if they are pouring syrup on them ... they won't see the non-face side anyway.

I bought 3 pans! I just started my Christmas shopping!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
hmglass wrote:You mean Ebleskiver?

Now I want Ebleskivers with smiley faces.

I'm just hanging out, really.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Based on how quickly these sold out, it appears there will be a large number of over-indulged kids in approximately 4-6 weeks.

DeidraCarter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DeidraCarter

Well I wanted one.. but now, after reading the description, I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat the smiling things..They may just wind up all over the house sitting in chairs watching TV with me. Hey Kids.. Look at our new friends..

mizhsleepy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mizhsleepy

This may sound silly... but has anyone tried using this to cook eggs instead?

wootisme54

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootisme54

how would you flip those lil suckers without destroying those happy faces?

esclava

quality posts: 3 Private Messages esclava

wtfffffffffffffffff i was going to buy one for my mom, but was too busy with work and now its sold out. Wakko Talks Faboo!!

snobahr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages snobahr

Wow, I'm glad I didn't hesitate on grabbing 3! 1 for my son, 1 for my nephews and 1 for my godson. There's going to be a bunch of happy 9 yr olds soon!