kelseyseanchain

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kelseyseanchain

What luck, I can finally throw out those terrible plastic utensils I got for my very first college apartment. New house, new cooking tools - now I just need something to store these in besides a pile on the kitchen counter.

ivannabc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ivannabc
mom2hapakids wrote:Yup. I've been looking for a silicone whisk and silicone thongs. And a new ladle and spaghetti fork. I prefer wooden spoons and I have an assortment of nylon and stainless spatulas, so I don't really need the silicone ones. Or maybe I should say, I've never TRIED the silicone ones.

We live near Wilton Industries so I've been picking up the Wilton Tent sale nylon items and they are on their last legs (discoloring and cracking from heat).

I am incredibly jealous of this.

ivannabc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ivannabc
kelseyseanchain wrote:What luck, I can finally throw out those terrible plastic utensils I got for my very first college apartment. New house, new cooking tools - now I just need something to store these in besides a pile on the kitchen counter.

They come in the container they're shown in. You can just leave them on the counter and use as necessary. I have two crocks of utensils in my kitchen.

And for the record, I've had silicone spatulas for years because I make hard candy (suckers) and it's the only thing I can stir it with because it stands up to the 300 degree melted sugar. Silicone does not affect the flavor or the taste of the food.

I also have been using a silpat in my pans for foods that I'm afraid will stick. It is a silicone mat that I place in the bottom of the pan. In all honesty, I would buy both of these if I didn't already have 3 times more kitchen items than I need. It's taking all the willpower I have to not buy at least one.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
etherium wrote:Argh! In for two of the red silicon sets. Woot is taking all of my money!

This is now pending order #8 from Woot. Still waiting for ANY the items I bought during the last Woot-Off to ship!

I received 11 boxes from Woot yesterday! Five were wine. You should get your stuff pretty quickly, maybe today. (I live in Colorado.)

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

jettavdwrvr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jettavdwrvr

The stainless steel pasta scoop scares me. o-O

mrsstjohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrsstjohn

I bought the same silicone set last year at a big box retailer. I have never loved a set of cooking utensils more. They are durable, easy to wash, and I've never had a problem with bubbles forming under the silicone like with other sets of utensils. One caveat: the metal handles get pretty warm if left in a pot of cooking confections. ;) I say get one of these, and you won't ever regret it!!

inkwench

quality posts: 1 Private Messages inkwench

I got the silicone set.

I already have a decent metal set for using with my cast iron, but sometimes I just _need_ something to use with the rarely used non-stick stuff.

Also, I love red and the set is just so darn pretty!

In inverse and not complete order. Rinfrescante. Pepper Bridge. Saxon Brown. Monkey Prize. Vina Robles. Ty Caton Tytanium (always!). Roshambo. Polyphemus. Donati Family. Poizon. Montinore. Kent Rasumussen. Mumm Napa. Boss Monster. Iron Horse. Albino Rhino. White Zeppelin, Buttonwood Farm, 8-Bit, Ty Caton Racchus, Twas!

crystal82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crystal82

their website has a better set for $18 http://www.oneida.com/kitchenware/kitchen-tools-gadgets/stratford-6pc-crock-set.html

mom2hapakids

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mom2hapakids
lstaff wrote:It looks like all the ones they sell on their website are18/8 handles, but 18/0 heads.
Which means nothing about the composition of these, of course.

18/8 and 18/0 describe the stainless steel's chromium and nickel content. 18% chromium and 8 or 0% nickel.

18/8 is similar to 304 Stainless Steel and is non-magnetic. 18/0 is 400 Series Stainless steel and is magnetic.

18/8 has much better corrosion resistance than 18/0, but I don't think the average user is going to see a difference.

graywh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages graywh
crystal82 wrote:their website has a better set for $18 http://www.oneida.com/kitchenware/kitchen-tools-gadgets/stratford-6pc-crock-set.html

It doesn't say what material they're made of--nylon or silicone.

mom2hapakids

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mom2hapakids
graywh wrote:It doesn't say what material they're made of--nylon or silicone.

My guess is nylon. Silicone has a glossier look and is rubbery. When you press on them, the silicone will give. Nylon is harder. If you press on it, the handle bends (if the whole utensil is nylon).

For non-stick, either is good, but in my experience, over time, the nylon will crack and get brittle. I don't have as much experience with silicone utensils. I will after I get my set!

kelseyseanchain

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kelseyseanchain
ivannabc wrote:They come in the container they're shown in. You can just leave them on the counter and use as necessary. I have two crocks of utensils in my kitchen.

And for the record, I've had silicone spatulas for years because I make hard candy (suckers) and it's the only thing I can stir it with because it stands up to the 300 degree melted sugar. Silicone does not affect the flavor or the taste of the food.

I also have been using a silpat in my pans for foods that I'm afraid will stick. It is a silicone mat that I place in the bottom of the pan. In all honesty, I would buy both of these if I didn't already have 3 times more kitchen items than I need. It's taking all the willpower I have to not buy at least one.

Oh, awesome, I didn't notice that they come with a crock to put them in. That's fantastic, just made my morning. Now I'm really glad I bought 'em.

skippypsk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skippypsk

Considering I made soup last weekend and didn't have a ladle so I used a measuring cup to serve, I am in for one of each. Just because.

emeycakes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeycakes

I have the steel and they pretty much sit and collect dust. Not good to use on my nonstick pans, and I generally just don't like them. Silicone is more flexible and easier to use... plus it won't scratch anything!

Laureenmt

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Laureenmt
crystal82 wrote:their website has a better set for $18 http://www.oneida.com/kitchenware/kitchen-tools-gadgets/stratford-6pc-crock-set.html

If you look at the listing on the left of the materials they are made from, you will see that they are nylon. There are no silicone kitchen tools available on that website.

applepieisyum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages applepieisyum

By looking at the sets, since they are both different utensils, it appears that the stainless set is more of a serving set (like what you would use in a catering situation) vs. the more all purpose silicone. I wouldn't use stainless on any of my pans/pots, nonstick or not. It would scratch the heck out of them, and I paid a lot of money for some of them, including the cast iron.

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt
mom2hapakids wrote:My guess is nylon. Silicone has a glossier look and is rubbery. When you press on them, the silicone will give. Nylon is harder. If you press on it, the handle bends (if the whole utensil is nylon).

For non-stick, either is good, but in my experience, over time, the nylon will crack and get brittle. I don't have as much experience with silicone utensils. I will after I get my set!

Silicon utensils aren't always glossy. I have some silicon utensils at home that do have a pretty glossy finish, but my favorite spatula actually has a more matte finish. I think that the set of silicon tool here on woot today are more of the matte finish silicon too. Part of the reason I'm in for one! I also don't have a canister for utensils yet either so it gave me a better reason to buy yet more kitcheny stuff that I don't really need. I have too many utensils to organize well in my utensil drawer, so now I can stick more into the counter top canister.

elezar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages elezar
Laureenmt wrote:If you look at the listing on the left of the materials they are made from, you will see that they are nylon. There are no silicone kitchen tools available on that website.

Yeah, but if you actually search by nylon, that set doesn't show up. It looks like they just have a non-dynamic search screen, with just a set list of items to search from, that's not based on what the actual products are.

I do agree that it certainly LOOKS like nylon, though. In fact, the spoons, turner, and pasta server in that set look identical to the nylon ones I have now.

I'll stick with woot!'s offering, since I know they're silicone. Plus, I like having some color besides black, white, and silver all over the kitchen.

trenton21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trenton21

I've been in the market for a set of silicone utensils and this a great price. Even if they last a year or two, $20 for this whole set is a steal. I'm in for 1.

Truemagellen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Truemagellen

I no longer use silicone...just smell them...they take in smells/flavors/soaps over time and by overtime I mean a few weeks...it is simply aweful

Actually try a subtle flavored dish...you will find a soapy flavor to it if you used silicone utensils because the pores of silicone trap soaps when cleaned in warm water then release them when used for cooking in warm temps

elezar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages elezar
Truemagellen wrote:I no longer use silicone...just smell them...they take in smells/flavors/soaps over time and by overtime I mean a few weeks...it is simply aweful

Actually try a subtle flavored dish...you will find a soapy flavor to it if you used silicone utensils because the pores of silicone trap soaps when cleaned in warm water then release them when used for cooking in warm temps

Actually, silicone used for kitchenware is nonporous, and one of the main benefits of is that it DOESN'T transfer smells and tastes. Most likely when you experienced that, you were using utensils that weren't pure silicone, and had some fillers mixed in.

Although, looking at it, the ones being sold here don't explicitly say that the silicone portion is filler-free/100% silicone, either...

777drama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 777drama

Seeing the spoon in the foreground, 'gotta ask: do these suckers have handles/grips?

mdnorman

quality posts: 52 Private Messages mdnorman
connallmac wrote:I refuse to buy from Oneida. Not only did they close their plant in Upstate NY and ship the jobs to China, they declined to sell the plant and the machinery to their American employees who had organized a plan to keep things going here. They will never see another cent of mine!

I doubt very much that you would be buying from Oneida if you ordered these items from Woot.com. Undoubtedly someone else already bought these items from Oneida, and then probably sold to someone else, who sold to someone else who arranged to have them here for you to buy from Woot.

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt
777drama wrote:Seeing the spoon in the foreground, 'gotta ask: do these suckers have handles/grips?

They don't look like the most ergonomic handles in the world, but they definitely have handles. It looks like it is just a stainless steel rod stuck into the silicon head. You can see the entire set laid out in the additional pictures.

mdnorman wrote:I doubt very much that you would be buying from Oneida if you ordered these items from Woot.com. Undoubtedly someone else already bought these items from Oneida, and then probably sold to someone else, who sold to someone else who arranged to have them here for you to buy from Woot.

It might actually be a good thing to buy these since Oneida might very well have taken a loss on these by unloading them onto another company in bulk just to get rid of them.

mrosem14

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrosem14

Why this steel v. silicone debate? Am I the only one who read all the way to the bottom, where it clearly says there are different utensils in each set? If you need some spoons and a pasta scoop, go steel. If you need turners and tongs, go silcone.

mdnorman

Ten of the silicone sets are available on Ebay for $40 each.

clarinetbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clarinetbob

Price much higher at Wally World!

mdnorman

elangomatt wrote:It might actually be a good thing to buy these since Oneida might very well have taken a loss on these by unloading them onto another company in bulk just to get rid of them.

Nah... I'm thinking that the Woot buyers only obtain items being sold at retail prices at a premium over ordinary MSRP, and then they present them to us here with all the bells and whistles and games on this site, like "Sling-a-Monkey" and "Crapshoot," which just make us confused and dopey enough to pay way more for those items than what we would spend if we just went to a local full service department store. Yeah... That's what I think.

mdnorman

elangomatt wrote:It might actually be a good thing to buy these since Oneida might very well have taken a loss on these by unloading them onto another company in bulk just to get rid of them.

Nah... I'm thinking that the Woot buyers only obtain items being sold at retail prices at a premium over ordinary MSRP, and then they present them to us here with all the bells and whistles and games on this site, like "Sling-a-Monkey" and "Crapshoot," which just make us confused and dopey enough to pay way more for those items than what we would spend if we just went to a local full service department store. Yeah... That's what I think.

ylenroc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ylenroc

As a newly single dad, it's like woot (and especially home.woot) have been reading my mind lately. I'm in for the silicone set - would have preferred black, but hey, what's a little color in the kitchen? Now, if they'd only offer cooking lessons ...

Barc7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barc7

You know you're using an open single quote mark instead of an apostrophe to construct the shortened "them", i. e. " 'em " don't you? You've set your text editor to automatically use curly quotes, but it doesn't recognize when you actually need an apostrophe at the beginning of a word....

paholzha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paholzha

Does anybody know the dimensions of the silicon spatulas? Are they a pretty good size or are they dinky? Nothing sadder than trying to flip an omelet with a tiny spatula Also, does anyone know the temperature rating on the silicone and plastics used in this set? Thanks !

note2001

quality posts: 25 Private Messages note2001

In for a stainless steel set - I already have the soup ladle and large spoon, but they're so nice I don't mind have double or passing them on.

Now, if Woot would offer a nice silver colored whistling Tea Kettle that won't rust I'd almost be happy in my kitchen.

ETA - wound up buying one of each set, price was just too good and I have only but a sole spatula for the nonstick griddle. Darn you woot.

elobdell

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elobdell

Same silicone set is $36.97 at Wal-mart's website. This looks like a good deal. In for one.

ee2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ee2000

I am going to order these in hopes I can sneak them in with the other kitchen stuff in hopes my husband doesn't notice them.

dubya13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dubya13

I purchased the silicone spoon (with holes) at walmart and always planned to get more from this set. Then they were discontinued and I couldn't find them anywhere. I LOVE this spoon. The silicone is strongly attached, it hasn't budged for over a year. The handle is strong, it's the only thing I'll use to stir certain thicker things just because I'm confident in its strength.

Bottom line, I bought the silicone set. I'll love the whisk and flipper, and having another couple spoons around won't hurt either!

mdnorman

ee2000 wrote:I am going to order these in hopes I can sneak them in with the other kitchen stuff in hopes my husband doesn't notice them.

It's not my business, but I think that unless you have a compulsive hoarding problem and you're making your house uninhabitable by buying too much "stuff" your husband shouldn't give you any grief about such a small purchase of KITCHEN stuff. If he does, you might need to slap him around a bit, or just tell him nicely who is really wearing the pants around the house.

lordofthebone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lordofthebone

Def in for one, could always use a set without worrying if theyll melt, or use somethign to flip stuff on the george foreman. A great deal too, I was just looking at silicone stuff at target a few weeks ago.

azmom2be

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azmom2be

Couldn't help myself, in for a silicone set.

ee2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ee2000
mdnorman wrote:It's not my business, but I think that unless you have a compulsive hoarding problem and you're making your house uninhabitable by buying too much "stuff" your husband shouldn't give you any grief about such a small purchase of KITCHEN stuff. If he does, you might need to slap him around a bit, or just tell him nicely who is really wearing the pants around the house.

No I am not a hoarder, I just buy a lot of kitchen stuff. I should get rid of some of it.

And we both know who wears the pants in the house... our dog and cat.