4%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

chris12345

quality posts: 25 Private Messages chris12345

How do these breathe compared to regular spring mattresses?

Portions of this comment have been redacted.

thumperchick

quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick

I don't want my mattress to remember...

Darksoul13

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Darksoul13

They don't at all. No springs to poke your back and eventually fail... quite miserably. My Dad got a two for the basement room. Bouncy but supportive.

Silly Rabbit......

lalaclassic

quality posts: 51 Private Messages lalaclassic

So, I woke up this morning and I couldn't look left. Would a better mattress help?! This seems oddly coincidental, that I may NEED a new mattress and HOME.WOOT has read my mind... or neck. Whichever, as long as I don't have to look left.

WDalton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WDalton

Another month... another foam mattress woot. going to bed. nite

teenracer6

quality posts: 59 Private Messages teenracer6

I heard that you should ditch your mattress every eight years due to sweat, dead skin cells, and other factors that make it nasty.

Does a memory foam mattress need to be replaces faster than a spring mattress? Or is it just the same minus the metal?

ashliz8806 wrote:Going to a Wizards game and being disappointed is like going swimming and getting wet...If you didn't expect it, I'm not sure I trust your judgment.

bongofett

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bongofett
chris12345 wrote:How do these breathe compared to regular spring mattresses?

We got the king size of these about a month ago, which replaced a spring mattress.

We're liking it a lot - the smell isn't bad at all (like other posters have expressed).

It's also thicker than our ol' spring mattress, which I also like.

Barrel of Cowpokes | Barrel of Cowpokes |
Random Crap Screaming Mini Monkey Ion Audio Turntable Digital Flip Ultra Camcorder

djenkins1982

quality posts: 15 Private Messages djenkins1982
teenracer6 wrote:I heard that you should ditch your mattress every eight years due to sweat, dead skin cells, and other factors that make it nasty.

Does a memory foam mattress need to be replaces faster than a spring mattress? Or is it just the same minus the metal?

We keep a cover on our memory foam that we replace every year or so.

Darksoul13

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Darksoul13

"Breath-ability" varies from person to person. I have one and don't notice any difference with the mattress cover on.

Silly Rabbit......

JVRR

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JVRR

I would be a lot more inclined to bite if they revealed the manufacturer. Not all memory foam is created the same. True, $250 is a great deal, but for $500 at Costco you get an established brand and the most incredible return policy ever. With WOOT! you might be getting crap, and then it is crap you are stuck with.

Good luck flipping this in the classifieds for half of what you paid for it if you dislike it.

bwillette

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bwillette

Here's a link to the comments on the king-sized version that sold during the woot-off

http://home.woot.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4874293

You can read my negative review there, since you have been instructed to ignore it here.

susancarr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages susancarr

I purchased this bed about a year ago from Woot. The middle never sprang to life; it had a huge trench in the center. I waited so long for the mattress to become "okay" that I couldn't get a refund from Woot. Buyer Beware!

jonkamp

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jonkamp
chris12345 wrote:How do these breathe compared to regular spring mattresses?

The memory foam fits to your body so your body has more contact with it than a regular mattress so it does not breathe as much as a regular mattress. I find the type of sheets used make more of a difference than the bed. A good set of quality higher thread count sheets make sure you do not get too hot.

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

I wish I had $250 to drop on this mattress right now. Alas I'll have to wait till after summer...

jonkamp

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jonkamp
JVRR wrote:I would be a lot more inclined to bite if they revealed the manufacturer. Not all memory foam is created the same. True, $250 is a great deal, but for $500 at Costco you get an established brand and the most incredible return policy ever. With WOOT! you might be getting crap, and then it is crap you are stuck with.

Good luck flipping this in the classifieds for half of what you paid for it if you dislike it.

I have both a $900 name brand memory foam mattress and a $200 cheapo one for the guest room. I have used both and both are equally comfortable. Now the cheapo is in a guest room so I can not speak to durability but it seems as good.

JVRR

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JVRR
JVRR wrote:I would be a lot more inclined to bite if they revealed the manufacturer. Not all memory foam is created the same. True, $250 is a great deal, but for $500 at Costco you get an established brand and the most incredible return policy ever. With WOOT! you might be getting crap, and then it is crap you are stuck with.

Cannot seem to edit so... Image of cross-section makes it look like Sarah Peyton brand. Mostly positive reviews on Amazon, but many negatives as well. Not in this time.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

Put up a king and I might bite.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

zintzun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zintzun

I got one last summer and I have mixed feelings. It's very comfortable but it's very warm and sometimes it makes me sweat a lot. YMMV, but I really recommend people to look around and do a little research before buying one.

Cheers

rlawli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rlawli

This Woot may well be a fine mattress but a "full memory foam mattress" it is not. I know what of I speak since I have tried several less than full memory foam mattresses and found them wanting.

Full memory foam mattresses are much, much better than those with only a few inches of real memory foam. But you almost never see them on sale. A minimum full memory foam mattress needs seven inches of memory foam; more is unnecessary unless you are a really big person. Further, a full memory foam mattress doesn't need any other foam in it. The advantage of this is that the full memory foam mattress can have a much lower profile and you can still jump up and down on it while your glass of wine remains at your feet unspilled, not to mention all the other claimed benefits for this kind of mattress which I can personally vouch for.

All in all, this Woot is still very well priced for what it is.

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa

I have the queen, full and twin foam mattresses from previous woots. We are happy with all three. They come rolled up tighter than a ... well very tight anyway. It is fun to open them. Make sure you open it the day you get it to avoid permanent memory loss. Leave it to air out for a week before sleeping on it because they do emit a chemical odor. I left mine on its side in the basement. The smell dissipates pretty quickly and it won't make ewe loose any IQ pints.

billmarsano

quality posts: 3 Private Messages billmarsano

For cooler sleep, all-cotton sheets are best. If you can dry them on a line or hang-dry some other way, they won't need ironing.

JBrach820

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JBrach820

Wow, talk about inopportune timing. I literally just bought one @ a Bob's 2 days ago for like 2.5 times this price. *Thunks head* Coulda had a V8!

jbdude2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbdude2000

@rlawli: Perhaps "Full" refers to the mattress size?

rachelivey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rachelivey

Queen size Please! I think it would be perfect for my lake house.

michaelrenda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages michaelrenda

How big of a box does this come in?

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors

I really, really dislike sleeping on memory foam mattress or even toppers. If you have not spent a few nights on a memory faom mattress and you want to try one make sure you can return it after 30 or however many days.

My favorite type mattress is a good quality latex foam mattress, best sleep of my life when I tried one so I bought one and am still as happy w/it many years down the road.

Memory foam made me sore, resticts my movement, is too hot (tried different sheets and pads and toppers). I have nothing good to say about it. The WORST thing is that it absorbs all motion - NOT nearly as much "fun" when in bed cavorting w/the SO, a little spring back from the mattress is a good thing ;)

gypsy56

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gypsy56
billmarsano wrote:For cooler sleep, all-cotton sheets are best. If you can dry them on a line or hang-dry some other way, they won't need ironing.

....wait...you iron sheets?!?

ressaler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ressaler

So, I may sound stupid, but how exactly does this ship?

I will be out of town for another 11 days. I would like to make sure that if it came before I got there that my roommate would be able to take care of it???

labrocca

quality posts: 1 Private Messages labrocca
susancarr wrote:I purchased this bed about a year ago from Woot. The middle never sprang to life; it had a huge trench in the center. I waited so long for the mattress to become "okay" that I couldn't get a refund from Woot. Buyer Beware!

Mine did that too except after a week I contacted woot and I was refunded. Supposedly the manufacturer had a defective batch and I was unlucky. I didn't even have to ship it back. Just took a pic of the bad mattress.

I ended up buying a $1000 mattress with 5' topper of foam from Costco. I wish the foam I bought wasn't defective. I could have saved a lot of money.

I personally like memfoam over any other mattress and have slept on them for about 10 years now.

LinenEphod

quality posts: 3 Private Messages LinenEphod
thumperchick wrote:I don't want my mattress to remember...

LOL!

cosmicpea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cosmicpea
rlawli wrote:This Woot may well be a fine mattress but a "full memory foam mattress" it is not. I know what of I speak since I have tried several less than full memory foam mattresses and found them wanting.

Full memory foam mattresses are much, much better than those with only a few inches of real memory foam. But you almost never see them on sale. A minimum full memory foam mattress needs seven inches of memory foam; more is unnecessary unless you are a really big person. Further, a full memory foam mattress doesn't need any other foam in it. The advantage of this is that the full memory foam mattress can have a much lower profile and you can still jump up and down on it while your glass of wine remains at your feet unspilled, not to mention all the other claimed benefits for this kind of mattress which I can personally vouch for.

Um, they're not saying it's *fully* memory foam as in completely, totally and exclusively memory foam and nothing else. In fact it does say it has a 4.5" high density foam base. What they mean is it's a full bed size, aka double bed. The later nomination seems to have fallen out of favor as, let's face it, only two very small humans, or say one human and a medium-small dog could fit on one so calling it "double" doesn't quite cut it. When you buy sheets for it you'll buy full rather than twin or queen.

teneicm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teneicm

So 2.5 inches memory foam + 4.5 inches regular foam = 7 inches. How is this a 10 inch mattress? What makes up the other 3 inches?

Ack- nevermind. Didn't see the cross section that shows the 3" "air channels".....

hak426

quality posts: 12 Private Messages hak426
rlawli wrote:This Woot may well be a fine mattress but a "full memory foam mattress" it is not. I know what of I speak since I have tried several less than full memory foam mattresses and found them wanting.

Full in this case is the bed size, Einstein. Thanks for the tip though.

anyboatyourow

quality posts: 25 Private Messages anyboatyourow

If these mattress and 2 pillows come with full memory, is there any way to reformat them?

Is there anywhere to get one with empty memory?

bmstile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmstile
redrotors wrote:Memory foam made me sore, resticts my movement, is too hot (tried different sheets and pads and toppers). I have nothing good to say about it. The WORST thing is that it absorbs all motion - NOT nearly as much "fun" when in bed cavorting w/the SO, a little spring back from the mattress is a good thing ;)

I'm...scared...

BooNality

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BooNality

Do you live under a rock or something? Full is referring to the size of the mattress. Even tempur-pedic mattresses only have a few inches of memory foam.

Wulfman15

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Wulfman15
jonkamp wrote:The memory foam fits to your body so your body has more contact with it than a regular mattress so it does not breathe as much as a regular mattress. I find the type of sheets used make more of a difference than the bed. A good set of quality higher thread count sheets make sure you do not get too hot.

I would argue that high thread count isn't the only important thing. The thread staple (length of the thread) is generally more important. Egyptian cotton sheets are generally long-staple, so they'll be softer, as well as more durable. I have a set of high thread count cotton sheets for my memory foam, and they're definitely hotter than my Egyptian set, despite not being as high thread count.

Some companies list the thread staple on the packaging, but a lot don't. Generally, the more expensive high thread count sheets also have a higher staple, which not only makes them more durable, but just better overall than cheaper varieties.

jbreedlove

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jbreedlove

Here's a nice website with various Memory Foam Mattress reviews. http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattressreview-memory-foam.html

For what it's worth I have the Sleep Innovations 10-inch mattress from Amazon and love it. As someone else mentioned, it's unfortunate that they don't mention which brand this is. However, according to the same website above, 81% of memory foam mattress owners are happy with their mattress as opposed to 61% of inner spring mattress owners. So there's a better chance of you being satisfied with a memory foam mattress than with a spring one.

fisherhaus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fisherhaus
teenracer6 wrote:I heard that you should ditch your mattress every eight years due to sweat, dead skin cells, and other factors that make it nasty.

I am not an expert, nor have I worked in the industry. Ever. All that follows is what I learned when shopping for my first latex mattress.

First, I want to clarify what a foam mattress is: latex. However, every day common latex it is not. This type of latex is a chemically PATENTED kind of latex. It is a "closed cell" type of latex. And this latex is a patented chemical compound. Thus, ALL LATEX FOAM MATTRESSES ARE NOT THE SAME! Patents make them different.

I cannot comment on the mattress Wooted; I don't know it's maker. I personally own THREE (3!) Tempur-Pedic king-size mattresses. None of them require: (1) turning; or (2) being "ditched" every 8 years. Why? 1. Because they never get 'worn-in'; and, 2. because sweat, dead skin cells and 'other factors' do not collect on the mattress (when the factory-provided cover of the mattress is treated as required by the owner's manual).

All 3 of my king mattresses came with a cheese-cloth-like cover over the mattress itself, and a removable and washable mattress cover that is to be periodically removed and washed according to the instructions provided. I'd suggest a sweaty person (such as myself) wash the cover more frequently than a less sweaty person (I wash my cover about every 2-4 months in the summer/fall, and every 3-6 months in the winter/spring). Washing removes dust mites and skin cells, as well as any sweat that soaks through bed sheets into the cover. The goal is to prevent sweat soak-through to the mattress. The mattress maker does not recommend using an additional mattress cover. I don't.

As to wearing-in (that is, making trenches in the mattress where bodies lay sleeping), traditional mattresses require turning because of spring break-in/loss of tension and padding compaction. Memory foam mattresses have neither springs nor padding. Therefor, turning foam yields only back injuries and disdain for the mattress. Turning a foam mattress is much like flipping Jell-O. Go with the odds-makers and bet against turning your foam mattress. Just say NO!

Humor aside, with no springs to wear out or padding to crush, foam does not yield trenching. The resilience of foam, logically, wears down or out, whatever is the term or process, right? Well, yes and no. Open cell foam, like a sponge, allows air to escape from within its "honeycomb" structure when compressed. All of the air once inside the sponge may not return to fill all of the spaces it did before being compressed. As compressions occur, resilience is lost -- trenches are formed in open-cell foam. Many foam mattresses are made with cheap latex that loses resilience over time -- trenches form. A quality latex mattress is made with CLOSED CELL technology. There is a big difference!