huh.

nadine624

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nadine624

ummm.... a product to absorb wine.

....yeah

..pass

teenracer6

quality posts: 59 Private Messages teenracer6

It couldnt have been called the Wine Baggie?

I feel kind of strange saying I am storing my Wine in a Wine Diaper...

ashliz8806 wrote:Going to a Wizards game and being disappointed is like going swimming and getting wet...If you didn't expect it, I'm not sure I trust your judgment.

roadmasta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadmasta

Seniors will feel better about depends now.

TODD CONNOLLY

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

"why not just wrap this in your clothes if you're traveling" said nobody

And if the bottle breaks? all your clothes are ruined. With this, in theory it's all contained and the clothes are saved!

lichme

quality posts: 2838 Private Messages lichme

I have traveled many times with many different forms of liquids. Of all of them to leak into my clothes of the years, I would say wine did the most damage, so this is a great idea. Are these more absorbent then pampers?

CowboyDann

lichme wrote:I have traveled many times with many different forms of liquids. Of all of them to leak into my clothes of the years, I would say wine did the most damage, so this is a great idea. Are these more absorbent then pampers?

I didn't realize how big these were until I saw this next to a person. Here is a good Demo Video. Unfortunately it doesn't show absorbency, but they're really big so I think these would *really* do the job well.

garrettwheat

quality posts: 3 Private Messages garrettwheat

Anyone have experience with these? I fly to NYC a few times a year and go to Trader Joes to load up on the famous 2 buck chuck. Last time I bought a case, walked straight to UPS only to find out they can't ship wine. I could have walked to FedEx and said it was olive oil, but I didn't feel comfortable doing that and didn't think it would get to my house unbroken. Needless to say I stuff my wife's boots and luckily it all made it home. With these, could I put a bottle of wine in each one, stuff them all in the same bag with nothing else and they would be OK? (in a sense...)

djalliduck

quality posts: 23 Private Messages djalliduck

In reading "If this doesn’t cheer Grandpa up, nothing will." I was waiting for a 'Depends' story!

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
CowboyDann wrote:

I didn't realize how big these were until I saw this next to a person. Here is a good Demo Video. Unfortunately it doesn't show absorbency, but they're really big so I think these would *really* do the job well.

It appears the "demonstration" of dropping the wine diaper from about 3 ft was performed with an empty bottle. It didn't break, but the product was not designed to carry empty bottles. Sort of silly. Aside from that, looks like a good product and not overly expensive.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

easysailor

quality posts: 25 Private Messages easysailor

Are these allowed on airplanes?

I live paycheck to paycheck thanks to woot.

rfactor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rfactor

I would gift this to my Mother, but I am fairly certain the name of this product would give her yet another excuse to think she can pour down bottle after bottle of wine and not have to ever get up from the table. We never need that episode to ever be repeated.

CowboyDann

easysailor wrote:Are these allowed on airplanes?

Yes, Just not for carry-on. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 99% sure on this. This is for your Checked bags only.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the bags themselves. You can carry-on these bags all you like as long as you don't put wine bottles in them.

TronGMZ

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TronGMZ

On Amazon there is a good video review of someone dumping a bottle of red wine into the wine diaper to test it out

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1VCMUIOI17UEC/ref=cm_pdp_rev_title_1?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview#R1XKFFNIUJ07R7

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth

wine.woot cross polination

CowboyDann

TronGMZ wrote:On Amazon there is a good video review of someone dumping a bottle of red wine into the wine diaper to test it out

Long Video Ling

Excellent find! I was looking for a video like that.

bolligra

CowboyDann wrote:Yes, Just not for carry-on. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 99% sure on this. This is for your Checked bags only.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the bags themselves. You can carry-on these bags all you like as long as you don't put wine bottles in them.

No, you're right. There's a 3.4 oz limit, with a couple of exceptions. See link:

http://www.tsa.gov/311/311-carry-ons.shtm

bolligra

bolligra wrote:No, you're right. There's a 3.4 oz limit, with a couple of exceptions. See link:

http://www.tsa.gov/311/311-carry-ons.shtm

The 3.4 oz limit is for carry-ons, I meant to say.

mkorona

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mkorona

I bought and use these to bring wine and beer home for the holidays- I didn't have any bottles break so I cannot attest to their absorption power- when I got them for more than double the price than offered here I found them to be a little on the cheap feeling side. It is essentially a plastic bag with diaper padding inside, and it closes with a press to close ziplock type seal- it didn't feel that padded to me so I used them in conjunction with bubble wrap, and they survived 3 flights across the country just fine. It gave me piece of mind which ultimately was worth it and at the price I am very close to being in for 3. I have used wine skins before which don't do any absorbing but are made of bubble wrap so I felt a bit more secure using those, but those are even pricier, and I do love the concept here that if it breaks you are covered.

After ordering the first time, but before receiving, I did recommend them to a coworker, who also successfully used them without bottles breaking in luggage.

danila

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danila

It's very difficult to break a full bottle of wine. If your suitcase is full (to prevent too much jumping around) and you don't put bottles right next to each other, you're most likely ok anyway.

You can also save bubble wrap that you get from stuff you order online and use that.

Despite all that, I bought a bunch of these from woot a while ago. I use them all the time, and generally just put the bottle in and zip up the top and then throw it in the suitcase in between some clothing. I haven't had any problems and I do feel less nervous about breakage. The small amount of padding it provides is not enough to protect the bottle from a baseball bat, sledgehammer, or the hilt of a medieval broadsword, but your wine isn't likely to encounter those things in your suitcase. It does help, though, to provide some softness in between bottles in case a couple of them do come in contact with each other.

One additional step I do take when transporting open bottles of liquor (especially with twist-off tops) is taping the cap, then wrapping bubble wrap if available or newspaper around the cap and then taping that to the bottle as well. This leaves you extra covered.

Overall, it's about making you feel more secure in traveling with wine or other booze in your suitcase. Just because I haven't had any breakages or issues when traveling with these doesn't mean they can't arise. But I can tell you I feel more secure with my booze depends and that made the purchase worth it for me.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Previous woot: 3 pack $6.99 in pink vs. $7.99 for 6 tonight

http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3901835

Product website gives the hint. My guess is they want to sell it as the "Jet Bag" now, and want to clear out the bags with the old name:

http://www.thejetbag.com/accolades.php

Idea Mia's press release about the bag, March 23, 2010: the "Improved" version

http://www.free-press-release.com/news-idea-mia-llc-announces-new-version-of-the-wine-diaper-1269355860.html

heathenflower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages heathenflower

Why isn't this product on wine.woot where I can properly ignore it.

smohyee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smohyee

Donald Draper is rolling in his grave. What kind of word association is that? Their marketing people must be into some dark fetishes..

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin

Excellent consolation Woot for all those who are unhappy because they did not get a Barrel of Crops.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
heathenflower wrote:Why isn't this product on wine.woot where I can properly ignore it.

The panel gave you two thumbs up!

rnatalie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages rnatalie

Unforutnatley, if you're talking about checked baggage on an airplane, you're screwed.

The TSA slit open mine which sort of defeats the purpose.

Certified Wine Geek

brasssong

quality posts: 9 Private Messages brasssong

Worst product name ever. So it must be good.
Like Smuckers Jam.

talon4x4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages talon4x4

I'm wondering if the bottle does indeed break...can it be squeezed out of the diaper and still consumed?!?

h2owoman13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages h2owoman13

These really work! Everybody should get one!

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bnbsouthworth
talon4x4 wrote:I'm wondering if the bottle does indeed break...can it be squeezed out of the diaper and still consumed?!?

Sure! If you don't mind ingesting a few glass shards. Good wine is worth it!

TronGMZ

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TronGMZ
talon4x4 wrote:I'm wondering if the bottle does indeed break...can it be squeezed out of the diaper and still consumed?!?

No, judging by the Amazon video I posted earlier, it turns into some form of weird goop or gel.

ayesquiddy

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ayesquiddy
bolligra wrote:It appears the "demonstration" of dropping the wine diaper from about 3 ft was performed with an empty bottle. It didn't break, but the product was not designed to carry empty bottles. Sort of silly. Aside from that, looks like a good product and not overly expensive.

Sounds like a deceptive test. Full bottles are (duh) heavier, and heavier objects land with more force, stressing the glass more than if it was empty.

Whatever, there's still value in all that absorbency even if the vid test is bunko.

bill750

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bill750

Better safe than sorry! In for 3

ntesta

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ntesta

In case your wine has to take a leak?

harle85

quality posts: 6 Private Messages harle85

I've been waiting for you guys to have these again! Now when my friends and family visit me (in Denver) they can take some of the awesome local beers home with them safely!

MarkL

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MarkL

That absorbency video on Amazon seems to make an assumption that a broken wine bottle does not produce any sharp edges to cut the plastic.

ratbert2k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ratbert2k

Why on Earth would you want to drink a broken bottle? Shards of glass have almost no flavor.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
rfactor wrote:I would gift this to my Mother, but I am fairly certain the name of this product would give her yet another excuse to think she can pour down bottle after bottle of wine and not have to ever get up from the table. We never need that episode to ever be repeated.

Are you my son??!!

vbeck

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vbeck

Has anyone tested these with the large format beer bottles? or an otherwise carbonated beverage? I'm more worried about the cap popping off than the bottle actually breaking.