LadyBlueDragon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages LadyBlueDragon

So very tempted, as I LOVE our thermal carafe coffeemaker. However, our is a grind and brew... whole beans in, yummy fresh coffee out.

Can't go back to grinding the beans myself in the morning.. I can't! And you won't make me!

kacivic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kacivic

What timing, woot! My coffee maker has been quickly deteriorating over the past couple of weeks, but I suppose that's to be expected after 7 years of daily use. Hopefully this one lasts as long.

ladyhawk52

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladyhawk52
pfajardo19 wrote:Anybody know the wattage on this bad boy? Need at least 1,000 watts or more or my coffee won't get even close to the 203-206 optimal brew/extraction temperature. Probably doesn't matter given the slew of negative reviews on Amazon.com. AND I read the reviews and many have to do with of electrical problems, pumps not working, etc. issues thoroughly unrelated to faulty lid. Look at the the number of good/excellent reviews (10) verses bad reviews (31). Not a math major and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, but methinks a ratio of 3:1 of bad to good reviews is far from a ringing endorsement. Gonna pass like Steve Young to Jerry Rice! Do not pass go, do not collect $100!

I just looked on Amazon and there are no bad reviews at all. Where did you see bad reviews?

bigjp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigjp

Doesn't say anything about the temperature and wattage (brew time), so I'm guessing it's another piece of crap coffee maker like most on the market. Spend the money and get a Technivorm or just use a pour over. And while you're at it, start roasting your own beans.

andy77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages andy77

My previous coffee maker, a Braun, said a "cup" was made with 4.5 ounces of water. You get less in the pot, as some remains with the grounds.

mjHession

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mjHession

For a drip coffe maker this thing makes real good coffee. Has definitely changed me thought on auto-drips.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
bigjp wrote:Doesn't say anything about the temperature and wattage (brew time), so I'm guessing it's another piece of crap coffee maker like most on the market. Spend the money and get a Technivorm or just use a pour over. And while you're at it, start roasting your own beans.

I agree, love my Technivorm Moccamaster. More expensive than most, but well worth it.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

pojster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pojster
osculant wrote:Being able to set your coffee maker to brew at a certain time is great...if you don't care that your already ground beans will lose a lot of their flavor overnight. Much better to buy a coffee maker with a grinder built in to maximize freshness. Or better yet buy a burr coffee grinder and an Aeropress (or regular french press if you prefer) and take a few minutes out of your morning to make a truly superior cup of coffee.

I prefer the pour over method of manual brewing a single cup of coffee. It's my way of being a coffee snob. I thank my local barista for turning me into this monster.

conand19

quality posts: 4 Private Messages conand19

Anybody find the model number for this?

Grind and brew? Have you read the reviews for those? Worse than this. They clog up.

outz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages outz

im using this 1 cup at a time old pos mr coffee thing... wife and i were just talking about getting a new coffee maker. anything else out there in this price range looks like cheap shiat.

just worried about charcoal replacement carts... hope they wont be difficult to come by.

in for 1

sonomawilliam

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sonomawilliam

problems are fixed. in for 1.

conand19

Here are the bad reviews. That's why I asked the model Number. Woot seems to be hiding that.
http://www.amazon.com/Wolfgang-Puck-WPTPCM010-Programmable-Stainless-Steel/product-reviews/B002TOKA1O/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

conand19

The reviews on that link also are complaining about the electronics. That scares me.

coachbob47

quality posts: 4 Private Messages coachbob47

Amazon has bad reviews on model WPTPCM010,
but good reviews on model WPTPCM012.

Woot what model is the the one you are selling?

outz

coachbob47 wrote:Amazon has bad reviews on model WPTPCM010,
but good reviews on model WPTPCM012.

Woot what model is the the one you are selling?

there is a link to the manual on woot's site:

http://www.wolfgangpuckdirect.com/v/vspfiles/user%20manuals/WPTPCM010%20JCP_ThermalCoffeemaker.pdf

WPTPCM010%20JCP_ThermalCoffeemaker.pdf

coachbob47

so Woot is selling the model WPTPCM010 that has the bad reviews concerning the electrical problems... The updated lid won't fix that.

sacjeanie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sacjeanie

Someone asked what Mr Puck had to do with coffee makers. I don't know, but if you look at the product manual link, there are some pretty awesome recipes along with the manual.
http://www.wolfgangpuckdirect.com/v/vspfiles/user%20manuals/WPTPCM010%20JCP_ThermalCoffeemaker.pdf

rpasley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rpasley

Bummer...I bought the Capresso coffee maker a month ago...$20 more. No complaints about the quality of the Capresso, though. I'm now a convert to the double-wall carafes without burner...much better on the stomach to not drink hour+ old, burnt coffee.

outz

coachbob47 wrote:so Woot is selling the model WPTPCM010 that has the bad reviews concerning the electrical problems... The updated lid won't fix that.

yeah, possibly... for $50 i'll take a chance on it. i need a new coffee maker anyway.

bowlingb

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bowlingb
lstaff wrote:If you preheat the carafe with really hot water first it should keep the coffee hotter and for much longer.

Seconded. I also had this coffee maker when it was sold by Starbucks. Put hot water in the carafe before doing the rest of the setup to preheat it. Your coffee will stay warm for 5 or 6 hours without "cooking" like the pots with warmers.
A word of warning though. Leave the lid off of the carafe while preheating so that you remember to pour out the hot water before actually making the coffee. If you don't the results are bad. Guess how I know? :-)

bowlingb

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bowlingb
timmera wrote:Can this be used with paper filters, or do you have to use the permanent filter?

I seem to recall that there was something about the way the bottom of the basket was shaped, or there was something that protruded into the bottom of the basket that made paper filters a bad idea. Anyone still have this machine that can comment?
I brought mine into the office and we made two to three pots a day. It lasted two and a half years before it got damaged in an office move.

keriah

quality posts: 2 Private Messages keriah
bnbsouthworth wrote:Does it actually make 12x8oz cups, or some other "unique standard" like Cuisinart does? Their "cup" is only *five* ounces to everyone else's *eight*, so a Cuisinart 12-cup maker only yields 60 ounces instead of 96.

I would assume a cup is a cup, but I learned the hard way you can't make that assumption. Does anyone know this carafe's actual capacity?

When it comes to coffee you can't assume that "cup" means the 8 oz. liquid measure. "Cup" in the coffee community is a different notion. For example, consider the long-running thread (http://amzn.to/GP2dkm) that discusses the "Bialetti 6-Cup Stovetop Espresso Maker" -- some reviewers complained about this "6-cup" maker not producing 6x8oz. and got explanations like this:

"Actually, if you read the product feature for the 6-cup bialetti percolator, it says it makes 6 2-oz espresso cups. So the 6 cup bialetti percolator makes 12 ounces of coffee, and the 3 cup bialetti makes 6 ounces of coffee, which is 3/4 of a Cup. Thus, the 6 cup bialetti makes 1 1/2 cup. (1 cup=8 oz)"

That was for espresso. For 'standard' coffee a "cup" is larger than 2 oz., but not the full 8 oz. that one might "assume" based on the cooking sense of the word.

jseureau

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jseureau
osculant wrote:I can't be sure of this, but I'm pretty sure Wolfgang does not make these himself. And I'm sure whoever made the knifes and pots and pans are not the same people who made this appliance. It's all about branding...

yeah for some reason I thought or pots and pans were made by Wolfgang Puck but it's Paula dean! I guess they kinda look alike!

jseureau

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jseureau
KATANARYDA wrote:I like my coffee like I like my ex-wife, I hate my ex-wife.

mtn dew ftw

That's the best thing i've ever seen!

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff
timmera wrote:Can this be used with paper filters, or do you have to use the permanent filter?

You can *ALWAYS* use a paper filter with a permanent metal filter. The advantage is that there are substances in brewed coffee that may raise health risks that get removed by the paper filter. It also makes cleanup easier.the downside is the nominal cost and adding to the waste stream. Also, don't buy the expensive shaped ones, just fold a regular one! Good luck! Enjoy your coffee!

atjacofam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atjacofam

Is the water heated in plastic or stainless steel?

coachbob47

Is the heating element, that contacts the water, stainless steel or aluminum?

waffle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages waffle

i have a fairly new cuisinart from Costco that gets good reviews and seems to make decent, strong coffee. So the obvious question is how does this compare? Since I bought the other unit at Costco I can return it no questions!!! We drink alot of coffee...

samira

quality posts: 14 Private Messages samira

Using a 10 or 15 year old Krups thermal carafe drip maker with an amazing will to live. Use daily. Auto timer still works even. Every day I wonder when it will stop working. Makes pretty good coffee but no charcoal filter or reusable basket filter.

No reason to buy this, but still tempted to get it as a back up for when the current one breaks and because it is so new and shiny. Like the removable reservior (would not have to keep a measuring cup out on counter to fill it up). Something tells me this thing must be inferior if it has so many identified problems right out of the gate (lids, electronics).
How does Woot make these things seem so appealing?
Would I throw $50 into the grand canyon? No. Would I consider purchasing an iffy coffeemaker for $50 when I don't even need one? Well apparently I might.

sawbones84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sawbones84
jseureau wrote:Our knifes and our pots and pans are made by Wolfgang Puck and the quality is Awesome! So I'm sure this is just as good.

this is a perfect example of faulty logic

papajames

quality posts: 1 Private Messages papajames

I haven't bought yet but can say the referenced manual says use either paper or the permanent one that comes with it. Actual experience anyone?

Gidgaf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gidgaf

[quote postid="4927309" user="buck2202"]I think most companies actually measure their carafes in non-standard increments...not just Cuisinart.

Check out other coffee makers, espresso pushers, etc. Some cups are 1.8, some 2, some 2.5, some 3 oz per cup. I have a Bialetti "6 cup" that makes one decent regular size cup of coffee.

clb4boys

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clb4boys

I was thrilled to see WP re-make the old Starbucks Barista. We had the old Starbucks model for years. It made the BEST tasting coffee of any "home" model we tried. We loved it so much that when it broke after many years of use, I purchased another on ebay. When that quit working, my husband took them apart and made a single unit from the two LOL! It worked great, but we were a little nervous about it. Relatives purchased the new WP model for us for Christmas. I have ordered one here on Woot for ourselves (as a back-up) and one for my parents (who absolutely love the coffee these make). I have had NO trouble with the WP model although I had problems for a while with the Starbucks model. Eventually the Starbucks behaved - weird, I know. If you are a coffee freak like us, you will love the coffee this makes. If you are a weekend coffee drinker, you won't see the beauty of this one.

katbrown1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages katbrown1

In for one, and one 3-year square trade warranty for $8.49...

frogshavemorefun

quality posts: 3 Private Messages frogshavemorefun
bowlingb wrote:Seconded. I also had this coffee maker when it was sold by Starbucks. Put hot water in the carafe before doing the rest of the setup to preheat it. Your coffee will stay warm for 5 or 6 hours without "cooking" like the pots with warmers.
A word of warning though. Leave the lid off of the carafe while preheating so that you remember to pour out the hot water before actually making the coffee. If you don't the results are bad. Guess how I know? :-)

Oh, so you are the one who wrote the review about it leaking all over the counter....lol. Operator Error! It happens.
But...I do prefill the carafe with hot water and have also failed to pour it our before making the coffee. And here I thought I'd have a nice hot cup of coffee waiting for me when I got out of the shower but I got another suprise instead. ;-(

jadee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jadee
frogshavemorefun wrote:We have had coffee leak on the counter only due to our own negligence of not using it correctly. It's sort of like when you don't close the freezer door all the way and your food thaws out. It's called "operator error".

There was a design flaw and the added top included with this one addresses that flaw.

geralds692

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geralds692

How many amps and what is the brew time?rcall

Kingu

quality posts: 41 Private Messages Kingu

Apparently no Texas air this time around - items are being drop shipped from Vernon, CA - which means I get mine tomorrow morning. MMm, extra morning coffee! (Gotta remember to BRING some coffee tomorrow morning too..)

jnevil

quality posts: 967 Private Messages jnevil

**Shipping Update**

Wolfgang Puck 12-Cup Coffee Maker has completely shipped via FEDEX SMART POST. All tracking has already been emailed out. You can also find your tracking number by following this link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING

janabug77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages janabug77

Just got mine and opened the box. Even though there is a very lovely letter from Woot telling me all about the additional non-leaky lid, there is only one lid in the box. I'm *hoping* this is the new and improved lid, but did anyone else receive 2 lids?