RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

This looks like a nice pan. That being said, be aware that West Bend quality control is not what it once was.

jenming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jenming

Is this fully clad, or is the aluminum only on the bottom of the saucepan?

Good Good Good is Azdak, and the measure that he metes.

nobgobblin69

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nobgobblin69
michaelvella wrote:Very high quality. And everyone needs this size pan in their kitchen.
You can't learn to cook, you either cook or you don't. If someone can read, they can prepare a meal, and I'll have to assume you can read if you can comment on woot.

You know what they say about assuming...

nobgobblin69

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nobgobblin69
craigthom wrote:Just let if soak if the mac and cheese has dried in the pan. If you burn it into the pan that's another story.

Bar Keeper's Friend is your friend when it comes to cleaning stainless steel pots and pans.

Where is this sold?

djzings

quality posts: 4 Private Messages djzings

I bought some at Menards recently. But I think it's available in lots of places like Wal-mart, Target, your local grocery store, etc.

thomas998

quality posts: 21 Private Messages thomas998

Can someone explain two things?

1. If the thing is 100% metal then how can it only be oven safe to 500° fahrenheit? Is this made of some special steel that melts at a super low temp? I would think it would be safe to 1000 degrees or more...

2. If it is stainless steel, then how can it also be magnetic? I've tried to put magnets on the stainless steel refrigerator at home and they just slide off.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

ohhh the included cover makes this a great deal! Most places charge $50 for the cover alone. This is April 1st right?

widmer69

quality posts: 14 Private Messages widmer69
nobgobblin69 wrote:Where is this sold?

Go that website, on the bottom there is a "store locator" linky. Looks like it's sold pretty everywhere (Target, WalMart, HD, Lowes, etc).

hooray beer!

bill750

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bill750

If I were going to spend "a lot" on pots and pans, I'd splurge and buy All-Clad products. If you can afford it and take cooking seriously, you really need to consider their products. We found a set on sale about 15 years ago and it still looks like new. At the time All-Clad was one of the few manufacturers that made cookware that would work on induction burners. You can sometimes find their products online with excellent discounts. One of the few products that we use almost every day that we expect to be using for the rest of our (cooking) lives.

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
nobgobblin69 wrote:Where is this sold?

Pretty much everywhere.

I don't want to give the impression that Barkeeper's Friend is a magical concoction that will clean stuff itself. Serious elbow grease is also needed.

craigthom

thomas998 wrote:Can someone explain two things?

1. If the thing is 100% metal then how can it only be oven safe to 500° fahrenheit? Is this made of some special steel that melts at a super low temp? I would think it would be safe to 1000 degrees or more...

2. If it is stainless steel, then how can it also be magnetic? I've tried to put magnets on the stainless steel refrigerator at home and they just slide off.

1. There are other things that can happen besides melting. Warping is the most likely. it's also possible that it could delaminate.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
thomas998 wrote:Can someone explain two things?

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae546.cfm

sawbones84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sawbones84
michaelvella wrote:Very high quality. And everyone needs this size pan in their kitchen.
You can't learn to cook, you either cook or you don't. If someone can read, they can prepare a meal, and I'll have to assume you can read if you can comment on woot.

huh? you can't learn to cook? what?

craigthom

sawbones84 wrote:huh? you can't learn to cook? what?

I think he means that you can just cook something without studying (like toast, for example).

You can certainly learn to cook well.

Aracos

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Aracos
jenming wrote:Is this fully clad, or is the aluminum only on the bottom of the saucepan?

This specific pan is a fully clad one. They do make a cheaper line that also had the Marcus name (Fusion? forgot to check on the bottom). You can tell those aren't fully clad because the aluminum disc bonded to the bottom is obvious as you can see in this picture.

This is one of the bonded ones I have that I got on this clearance deal. Still a good pan, but the heat doesn't conduct as evenly since it isn't fully clad.

edit: The bonded pans are called Marcus Impact, because the base is impact bonded. The handles aren't as nice as on this pan either. I much prefer the feel of the handles on today's pan.

geekwench

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekwench
craigthom wrote:Pretty much everywhere.

I don't want to give the impression that Barkeeper's Friend is a magical concoction that will clean stuff itself. Serious elbow grease is also needed.

Cameo is another, similar product that usually costs at least 1/3 less than Bar Keeper's Friend. Both can be found in most grocery store chains, Target, Wal-Mart, Rite-Aid, etc. Cameo uses sulfamic acid to remove tarnish, while Bar Keepers Friend uses oxalic acid. I find that both work equally well on stainless steel and aluminum, but as I said, Cameo tends to be less expensive than BKF.

Aracos

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Aracos
geekwench wrote:Cameo is another, similar product that usually costs at least 1/3 less than Bar Keeper's Friend. Both can be found in most grocery store chains, Target, Wal-Mart, Rite-Aid, etc. Cameo uses sulfamic acid to remove tarnish, while Bar Keepers Friend uses oxalic acid. I find that both work equally well on stainless steel and aluminum, but as I said, Cameo tends to be less expensive than BKF.

I can second the effectiveness of Cameo. My mom always kept some on hand and used it quite often, along with her other standby Bon Ami. I thought of trying Cameo on my pans since it always worked for her, but I got lucky when I remembered to pick some up at the store and got a really good price on the Bar Keeper's Friend.

ascurlock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ascurlock
tapps wrote:i feel like i would be environmentally irresponsible by buying and having this shipped from texas.. when i live 35 minutes away from it's birth place...

Ugh... Here's a synopsis of how this works.

The pan company needs to offload excess inventory of a product that is becoming stale. They liquidate and send X amount of their product to Woot . Woot resells the product and ships it out, creating work for the Woot staff and UPS drivers, as well as sustaining the jobs of the workers at the pan company by it not having to take a complete loss on the product (often numbering in the thousands). The end consumer (you) gets a good product at a low price.

So, through the power of the hundreds (or thousands, I don't know) of Wooters out there who end up buying these pans, work is created, helping to sustain households, and saving the energy that may possibly have been used to melt all these pans into something else, like evil, tree-killing chainsaws.

jnevil

quality posts: 967 Private Messages jnevil

**Shipping Update**

2Qt Triple Ply Covered Sauce Pan has completely shipped via FEDEX SMART POST. All tracking has already been emailed out. You can also find your tracking number by following this link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING