Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

rage8767

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rage8767

WIFE LOVES THEM ;)

TehCaspia

quality posts: 16 Private Messages TehCaspia

You're killing me Woot! What I really need is a salt grinder! (especially one this pretty!)

woot changed my signature...apparently linking my old blog was "advertising"...never thought I'd see anyone give Obama a run for his money on being the nanny state...

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Wow These are really really cool. This would be a great conversation piece, and really brighten up a kitchen/dinner table. I'm having trouble deciding which colour I'm going to buy. I might get 3 and gift a couple out.

woncoolone

quality posts: 1148 Private Messages woncoolone

lichme

quality posts: 3178 Private Messages lichme

I have never seen such colorful upbeat pepper mills. I think there is one available for almost every kitchen decor out there.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

indacelio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages indacelio

Could this be used as a coffee mill?

dfunk29

quality posts: 54 Private Messages dfunk29

I imagine you use these for sea salt as well, correct me if I'm wrong (not sure if there's some sort of bamboo/salt incompatability)

motherlaura

quality posts: 8 Private Messages motherlaura

http://askville.amazon.com/salt-mill-pepper/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=4021401

Seems like they *can* be used for salt or pepper, but perhaps the salt might wear the blades down quicker...

lalaclassic

quality posts: 51 Private Messages lalaclassic

Can pepper mills be used with sea salt too?

gypsydiva

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gypsydiva

Great price! I have been hoping for these. Worth buying several and saving for gifts.

lalaclassic

quality posts: 51 Private Messages lalaclassic

http://ask.metafilter.com/99687/What-else-can-I-grind-in-a-pepper-mill

A nice list of "what else can I grind in a pepper mill"

Apparently cumin is popular.

Thunderthighs: Made that a clickable link for you.

TychoCelchuuu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TychoCelchuuu

I can't speak to the quality, but as someone who spent weeks on the lookout for deals on pepper mills, I can tell you this is a good price.

skou

quality posts: 21 Private Messages skou

Does anyone know how much pepper these hold?

Or, what are the grinding parts made out of? Steel would be nice, hardened steel would be nicer!

steve

Wolaver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wolaver
lalaclassic wrote:Can pepper mills be used with sea salt too?

I was wondering the same thing. It says these can in the description.

madcow19

quality posts: 10 Private Messages madcow19

If you read through the description, it says it has a ceramic grinding mechanism that can be used with Pepper or SALT, so yes to all the salt people.

Personally, I like stainless steel for grinding pepper (it seems like it grinds at a faster rate with good coarseness control) but ceramic does fine, just plan on twisting a lot if you like pepper.

bmason3604

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bmason3604

Why grind down sea salt? I don't get it... Isn't the whole point of sea salt that it has large crystals and is crunchy compared to table salt?

motherlaura

Look what I found in the write up!!!

"Made with ceramic grinding mechanism that can be used to grind both pepper and salt without corroding"

Woot Woot!

Also, just reading on the previous link of other things you can grind in a pepper mill - the original poster said his pepper mill blade was carbon steel and his salt mill was ceramic... so there we have it.

Now, for 2 non-matching colors - cause otherwise, how do you tell your salt from pepper?

motherlaura

madcow19 wrote:If you read through the description, it says it has a ceramic grinding mechanism that can be used with Pepper or SALT, so yes to all the salt people.

Personally, I like stainless steel for grinding pepper (it seems like it grinds at a faster rate with good coarseness control) but ceramic does fine, just plan on twisting a lot if you like pepper.

Nice work - we must have been typing at the same time...

mommacomet

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mommacomet

Made with ceramic grinding mechanism that can be used to grind both pepper and salt without corroding

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
lalaclassic wrote:http://ask.metafilter.com/99687/What-else-can-I-grind-in-a-pepper-mill

A nice list of "what else can I grind in a pepper mill"

Apparently cumin is popular.

Ceramic is great for salt - it doesn't corrode.

You can use these for fennel as well... Pretty much anything...

mortong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mortong

These grinders have ceramic blades, which means they can be used for both salt and pepper equally well.

allykat26

quality posts: 5 Private Messages allykat26

ok... I just bought 3!!! I would say that I hate impulse shopping... but I can reason each one. I have yellow as the main accent color in my kitchen. But I got the "lime" in case the "banana" doesn't match my yellow... And of course I got a natural one, to gift or go with my dining table. ugh....

piskami

quality posts: 7 Private Messages piskami

Bought one, Traditional Natural. These might not be the best grinders, but for that price you cannot beat it.

I am tired of constantly filling my small grinder. Plus it will look nice on the table.

allykat26

quality posts: 5 Private Messages allykat26
motherlaura wrote:Look what I found in the write up!!!

"Made with ceramic grinding mechanism that can be used to grind both pepper and salt without corroding"

Woot Woot!

Also, just reading on the previous link of other things you can grind in a pepper mill - the original poster said his pepper mill blade was carbon steel and his salt mill was ceramic... so there we have it.

Now, for 2 non-matching colors - cause otherwise, how do you tell your salt from pepper?

You can get matching colors, just get one "luxe" and one "traditional". I think they would look fine together. There probably could have been one more picture with two designs in the same color. (I mean really... you did already show 17 pictures of the same product, Woot!)

CowboyDann

Just bought 3, two for me 1 for a possible gift.

This might be a *really* stupid question, but I bought a natural one for myself. I have bamboo utensils that need to be treated with oil if they get wet.

Do I need to treat this with oil or anything to preserve the quality?

celeste91784

quality posts: 8 Private Messages celeste91784
dfunk29 wrote:I imagine you use these for sea salt as well, correct me if I'm wrong (not sure if there's some sort of bamboo/salt incompatability)

The description says, "Made with ceramic grinding mechanism that can be used to grind both pepper and salt without corroding." So there's no incompatibility.

motherlaura

allykat26 wrote:You can get matching colors, just get one "luxe" and one "traditional". I think they would look fine together. There probably could have been one more picture with two designs in the same color. (I mean really... you did already show 17 pictures of the same product, Woot!)

At the bottom of the write up, the 2nd top two pictures are of all the colors of just "luxe" and then all of the colors of just "traditional"... but that still made it tough to decide.

I thought about 2 same color/different sets - but decided to go with 2 traditional instead. One in white, one in red. Wish they had black!

*edit* - Oh, I see what you're saying - a picture of a mixed/match set... that would have been nice.

Kelsium

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Kelsium

If you get one for salt and pepper-be sure and remember which color is what.

Buy the whole set and use as bowling pins for after dinner FUN!

elkhar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elkhar
TehCaspia wrote:You're killing me Woot! What I really need is a salt grinder! (especially one this pretty!)

Since these have ceramic mechanisms they can be used for salt too!!

elkhar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elkhar
CowboyDann wrote:Just bought 3, two for me 1 for a possible gift.

This might be a *really* stupid question, but I bought a natural one for myself. I have bamboo utensils that need to be treated with oil if they get wet.

Do I need to treat this with oil or anything to preserve the quality?

no, these def don't need to be treated with oil since the paint covers the bamboo

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Just a reminder to those of you buying these as potential gifts:

Always check the item out when you receive it. Warranties are always from the time of purchase so don't lose out on the warranty because you didn't check the item first.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

CowboyDann

elkhar wrote:no, these def don't need to be treated with oil since the paint covers the bamboo

So the natural ones have a clear coat?

ThunderThighs wrote:Just a reminder to those of you buying these as potential gifts:

Always check the item out when you receive it. Warranties are always from the time of purchase so don't lose out on the warranty because you didn't check the item first.

Thanks for the reminder!

motherlaura

Kelsium wrote:If you get one for salt and pepper-be sure and remember which color is what.

Buy the whole set and use as bowling pins for after dinner FUN!

I got white for salt, thinking it's a no brainer, but watch - someone will prove me wrong!

surprisingwoman

quality posts: 10 Private Messages surprisingwoman
ThunderThighs wrote:Just a reminder to those of you buying these as potential gifts:

Am I the only one that finds this rather strong reminder a bit ominous? Is there an issue with these grinders? Anyone have experience or a credible review source?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

surprisingwoman wrote:Am I the only one that finds this rather strong reminder a bit ominous? Is there an issue with these grinders? Anyone have experience or a credible review source?

Not at all. I just hate seeing emails and posts after Christmas where there's a problem with something but the warranty has already expired. I've been ordering some bamboo stuff (and other items) already for my family but I'm checking everything before I store it.

I don't know anything about these but the reviews on the Core Bamboo stuff is generally pretty favorable.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

CowboyDann

surprisingwoman wrote:Am I the only one that finds this rather strong reminder a bit ominous? Is there an issue with these grinders? Anyone have experience or a credible review source?

I can't speak for her but I think she's reminding us because this is a 90 day warranty and not a 1-year one. If you're giving this for a gift you might be holding it for more than a couple months.

Edit: TT Beat me to it :P

CitigirlDC

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CitigirlDC

I'm sure you all have figured out the salt/pepper thing by now, but just to chime in anyway - finding grinders with ceramic mechanisms is hard; they're usually only found in mixed sets of salt and pepper grinders. Standalone grinders are almost always pepper/metal.

If anything this item maybe should have been labeled as a SALT grinder since it is really more of a salt grinder that can do pepper than a pepper grinder that can do salt. Plus it'd catch more eyes that way since, again, standalone ceramic grinders are harder to find. I almost didn't stop and investigate myself, glad I did!

That said, in for 3, gonna make a S&P set for mom and a kitchen pepper grinder for me (already have S&P grinders on the table). Word.

cmusicfan05

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cmusicfan05

These definitely did not look like pepper mills at first glance from the main woot! page...