dougall

quality posts: 15 Private Messages dougall
Nitetigrezz wrote:What about it was negative? Not being a jerk, honestly curious which perspective you chose.

I thought the moon was made of cheese.. !

Just didn't think the writing was to-par, seemed like a really weak story to me.

Maybe I should go back and watch again, but it just really didn't do anything for me.

and the special effects just seemed cheesy... even for Dr. Who.

Nitetigrezz

quality posts: 38 Private Messages Nitetigrezz
dougall wrote:I thought the moon was made of cheese.. !

Just didn't think the writing was to-par, seemed like a really weak story to me.

Maybe I should go back and watch again, but it just really didn't do anything for me.

Admittedly, the show has seen better writing, yet I still found the story arc intriguing. I also find the huge debate that's going on now about the ending most entertaining. Was the doctor being a huge jerk, or was he more like a parent refusing to have a repeat of Rose Tyler (don't get me wrong, I loved Rose! But she was so reliant on the doctor, and fell apart whenever he wasn't around to save the day x.x). Personally, I believed that the doctor was showing Clara how to trust in her own instincts instead of constantly turning to him for answers, but that might just be me.

Really though, poor special effects considering the plunger of Daleks? O.o

Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Big ol' Cornucopia ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

Mavyn

quality posts: 24 Private Messages Mavyn

Plot holes big enough for the moon to fall through, which, yeah, ok, it's Doctor Who, but some of them...oy. I get that it's science fiction, but that means it should be BASED on science, right?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

sellbuyer92

quality posts: 91 Private Messages sellbuyer92
dougall wrote:I thought the moon was made of cheese.. !

Sorry to upset you, I just thought that it had good character development as well as taking some strides for being close to the end of the season.

dougall

Nitetigrezz wrote:
Really though, poor special effects considering the plunger of Daleks? O.o

You're comparing their use of 21st century CGI to 1970s use of latex, rubber and sequins?

At least there was imagination then.

dougall

sellbuyer92 wrote:Sorry to upset you, I just thought that it had good character development as well as taking some strides for being close to the end of the season.

I'm not upset.

I'll go back and re-watch it, maybe tomorrow or at the weekend and give it another chance.

Just my reaction from the first watch of it was far from favourable.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 33 Private Messages olcubmaster

For me it was not the weakest but I do tend to agree, this season has not been as crisp. Perhaps its the writers and actors working to find the rhythm together.

Part may be the stark difference of the Doctor from no longer riding in on a white horse proclaiming "this planet is protected" to one of an outsider with a bigger concern.

BTW & TOT (totally off topic) - anyone else have the opportunity to view the lunar eclipse this morning?

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

Mavyn

olcubmaster wrote:
BTW & TOT (totally off topic) - anyone else have the opportunity to view the lunar eclipse this morning?

I tried. Stupid clouds. Stupid trees. Stupid moon, hiding behind them both.

moles1138

quality posts: 46 Private Messages moles1138
Mavyn wrote:I tried. Stupid clouds. Stupid trees. Stupid moon, hiding behind them both.

No clouds. Got some pics. I'll try to post on PWA soon.

moles1138

moles1138 wrote:No clouds. Got some pics. I'll try to post on PWA soon.

On second thought...I'll create a new thread...soon.

dougall

Mavyn wrote:I tried. Stupid clouds. Stupid trees. Stupid moon, hiding behind them both.

I'm somewhat glad I stayed in bed then

Mavyn

dougall wrote:I'm somewhat glad I stayed in bed then

It really was so dark that I had to use Google Sky to even determine where the moon should be, if the aforementioned stupid trees and stupid clouds weren't in the way. For a brief moment, the moon peeked through, but getting a shot clear enough to matter would have involved trekking to the intersection. Not happening in mai jammies!

Nitetigrezz

dougall wrote:You're comparing their use of 21st century CGI to 1970s use of latex, rubber and sequins?

Yes, yes I am, honestly. Mainly because it's so easy to take today's technology for granted, judging it so critically and hating it when it falls short. Sometimes it takes a comparison of what we used to have to be grateful for what we're able to accomplish these days, even when it's not up to our new high standards.

I do offer oodles upon oodles of props though for the willingness to stomach an episode you disliked so much and give it a second shot. No sarcasm, honest props.

Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Big ol' Cornucopia ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

Nitetigrezz

I didn't even know there was one x.x Which sucks, because it might have been clear enough for us to catch it.

Wait, when was it?

Mavyn

Nitetigrezz wrote:I didn't even know there was one x.x Which sucks, because it might have been clear enough for us to catch it.

Wait, when was it?

This morning. 6:25 - 7:00 am out here in the Po-Co-Nose.

There's a solar eclipse later this month, too.

moles1138

Nitetigrezz wrote:I didn't even know there was one x.x Which sucks, because it might have been clear enough for us to catch it.

Wait, when was it?

NE Ohio
I was up at 5:40 and it had already started. Couldn't see it due to trees by 6:30. Not sure if it was total yet.

dougall

Nitetigrezz wrote:Yes, yes I am, honestly. Mainly because it's so easy to take today's technology for granted, judging it so critically and hating it when it falls short. Sometimes it takes a comparison of what we used to have to be grateful for what we're able to accomplish these days, even when it's not up to our new high standards.

I do offer oodles upon oodles of props though for the willingness to stomach an episode you disliked so much and give it a second shot. No sarcasm, honest props.

It's not so much that I'm comparing against my high standards... more comparing what they did, with what is possible.

In older episodes, they've used the technology better than they did in this week's episode, the difference between live video and CGI was incredibly apparent, which really spoils the effect and detracts from the visual part of the episode.

The fact that they have made better use of technology in the past raises the expectation that they will do the same or better in the future. this time I think they fell flat.

olcubmaster

moles1138 wrote:On second thought...I'll create a new thread...soon.

Not sure why I didn't think of that so I stole your idea. Hope you don't mind...

moles1138

olcubmaster wrote:Not sure why I didn't think of that so I stole your idea. Hope you don't mind...

Nope. Tried during coffee break. Couldn't get the pics to post before time ran out. They are there now.

olcubmaster

The Silence has fallen.

Or at least on this board. It seems perhaps the new Doctor is a bit polarizing, and the story lines as well.

I am a bit shocked to look back and see we're already 8 episodes into this season. The Mummy on the Orient Express had a familiar feel to it - and I mean that in a good way. Either I've grown accustomed to his face or things are almost hitting stride.

olcubmaster

I’m standing here like an zombie talkin’ to myself. I might as well walk over to the old yellow line and stand here on the yellow line like an zombie talkin’ to myself.

In Flatline things seem to be closer to what my #2 son calls the expected pace. A few good giggles, and a nice showcase for the Impossible Girl.

But rather than ramble on, I thought I'd post a tune I've found myself listening to a number of times since it aired...

Or for one without the added Foley touches...

olcubmaster

Well folks I'm officially setting my pom-poms aside until after the series ending 2-parter.

The good news:

The Doctor finally actually seems like he's a Doctor in this weekend's episode.

The bad news:

While I thought the driving premise had merit, this one had me shaking my head in disappointment.

The bad/good news:

While there has yet to be a "Girl in the Fireplace" level story this year, there's still the finale to tilt the scales towards the positive for this season.

Mavyn

It's been lackluster for me. A few moments that appealed, but overall lost in the bland or 'broken' bits--ie, bits where the story line or acting or cheesy effects break my ability to suspend disbelief. Once that happens, it's hard for me to get back in to the story. This weekend was no exception--great idea, good build up, and then...really? Sigh.

olcubmaster

Ok folks - only had one viewing of the 1st part of the season finale and holy guacamole!

If you've been meh about this season this may be the one to bring you back into the fold.

More after a rewatch...

dougall

olcubmaster

dougall wrote:

Capaldi seems to be genuinely aware how his current role interacts with many lives of the public, especially children and those with special needs.

For those interested in an article on the back story.

Thanks for sharing.

olcubmaster

In my opinion, this two part season finale was the sort of Who that keeps us excited about the series.

No spoilers here for those who have delayed viewing (and given some of the episodes, understandably) but this one should bring you back into the fold.

dougall

olcubmaster wrote:In my opinion, this two part season finale was the sort of Who that keeps us excited about the series.

No spoilers here for those who have delayed viewing (and given some of the episodes, understandably) but this one should bring you back into the fold.

I concur.

I haven't bothered to look/check, but was there anything special about the finale? different writer/producer etc?

olcubmaster

dougall wrote:I concur.

I haven't bothered to look/check, but was there anything special about the finale? different writer/producer etc?

Perhaps because the finale was written by Moffat?

Here's what I found for writing/producer credits this season:

Episode 1: Deep Breath.
Written by Steven Moffat
Directed by Ben Wheatley

Episode 2: Into The Dalek
Written by Phil Ford and Steven Moffat
Directed by Ben Wheatley
Introducing Samuel Anderson as Danny Pink.

Episode 3: Robot Of Sherwood
Written by Mark Gatiss
Directed by Paul Murphy

Episode 4: Listen
Written by Steven Moffat
Directed by Douglas Mackinnon

Episode 5: Time Heist
Written by Stephen Thompson and Steven Moffat

Episode 6: The Caretaker
Written by Gareth Roberts and Steven Moffat
Directed by Paul Murphy

Episode 7: Kill The Moon
Written by Peter Harness
Directed by Paul Wilmshurst

Episode 8: Mummy On The Orient Express
Written by Jamie Mathieson

Episode 9: Flatline

Episode 10: In The Forest Of The Night
Written by Frank Cottrell Boyce
Directed by Sheree Folkson

Episode 11/12 Dark Water/Death In Heaven
Written by Steven Moffat
Directed by Rachel Talalay

dougall

olcubmaster wrote:Perhaps because the finale was written by Moffat?

Here's what I found for writing/producer credits this season:

Episode 1: Deep Breath.
Written by Steven Moffat
Directed by Ben Wheatley

Episode 2: Into The Dalek
Written by Phil Ford and Steven Moffat
Directed by Ben Wheatley
Introducing Samuel Anderson as Danny Pink.

Episode 3: Robot Of Sherwood
Written by Mark Gatiss
Directed by Paul Murphy

Episode 4: Listen
Written by Steven Moffat

Episode 5: Time Heist
Written by Stephen Thompson and Steven Moffat

Episode 6: The Caretaker
Written by Gareth Roberts and Steven Moffat
Directed by Paul Murphy

Episode 7: Kill The Moon
Written by Peter Harness

Episode 8: Mummy On The Orient Express

Episode 9: Flatline

Episode 10: In The Forest Of The Night
Written by Frank Cottrell Boyce
Directed by Sheree Folkson

Episode 11/12 Dark Water/Death In Heaven
Written by Steven Moffat
Directed by Rachel Talalay

Talalay directed Tank Girl... So I declare her as the key to this success, hopefully she will direct more

olcubmaster

dougall wrote:Talalay directed Tank Girl... So I declare her as the key to this success, hopefully she will direct more

Who am I to argue with logic like that? The outcome was proof enough for me!

Mavyn

Totally spoileried, but a good watch if you've seen both parts of the finale.

Text link to remove spoilering.

dougall

Mavyn wrote:Totally spoileried, but a good watch if you've seen both parts of the finale.

I wonder who the bad guys in the finale might be...

Mavyn

dougall wrote:So it has spoilers in then?

I didn't think that part was spoilery...or was it not something that was previewed elsewhere? Pretty sure it was.

I mean...No. Those are just...like...for some kind of weird reenactment group.

dougall

Mavyn wrote:I didn't think that part was spoilery...or was it not something that was previewed elsewhere? Pretty sure it was.

I mean...No. Those are just...like...for some kind of weird reenactment group.

I think it's totally spoilery. to the point I edited my post to make it less so.

not aware of this being revealed previously in any place other than spoilers and the first part of the finale.

Mavyn

dougall wrote:I think it's totally spoilery. to the point I edited my post to make it less so.

not aware of this being revealed previously in any place other than spoilers and the first part of the finale.

:p

Fixed to remove spoilering.

moles1138

Mavyn wrote::p

Fixed to remove spoilering.

But you've gotta fix the copy of dougall's post in your previous post.

Mavyn

moles1138 wrote:But you've gotta fix the copy of dougall's post in your previous post.

done. nuffin to see but us fishes.

olcubmaster

Mavyn wrote:done. nuffin to see but us fishes.

dougall

moles1138 wrote:But you've gotta fix the copy of dougall's post in your previous post.

NO!!!!!!

FIXED POINT IN SPACE AND TIME!