WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Andy Warhol Framed Prints

You know you're a genius. They don't. One day you're gonna find a way to make them believe you. That's a story as old as art and that's how Andy Warhol began. Today all pop culture lives in his shadow. Might as well live with some of his masterpieces too.
McGaw Graphicsofficial site

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Do you have some Warhol in your home? If not, have you considered it?

I'm just hanging out, really.

ptucker2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ptucker2

Fun Fact - The Andy Warhol Museum is in Pittsburgh. I have never been, but my family has told me it's very interesting.

fjp999

quality posts: 14 Private Messages fjp999
inkycatz wrote:Do you have some Warhol in your home? If not, have you considered it?

The Foundry had a couple of these (near the same price or maybe a bit lower) and I picked up a "10 Marilyn" print.

Always been a HUGE Warhol fan... Went to Pitt where I actually met some of his relatives... and the Carnegie had a lot of his originals including a wall of about 20 Elvis' - Very Cool.

I told my friend (currently living in India) about the Foundry Marilyns - and she fell in live with them and the price... dont ship to India soooo now I have 20 Marilyns! They are all on one wall and add so much color!

Just for the size and color they are the best bargain in this Woot deal. If the Elvis prints were life size - like at the Carnegie & at this price I would jump on a couple but not at this size/price...

I must say that if these are the same as sold at the Foundry (they look exactly the same) then they are BEAUTIFULLY done! The printing looks like a silk screening (its not) and the material they printed on is a very stiff paper (wouldnt even call it paper - very very stiff)... The frame is really amazing at this price! My heart really jumped for joy when I took it out of the box - very beautiful. Also very easy to hang with good instructions!

Now if I can only get my hands on his rarer death series or even his oxidation pieces (look it up!!!).

fjp999

ptucker2 wrote:Fun Fact - The Andy Warhol Museum is in Pittsburgh. I have never been, but my family has told me it's very interesting.

Yes, the Warhol Museum is a great place and very large! They also have a film theatre... Warhol had given up painting/printing for film-making and the Warhol runs his films there regularly.

They also have a large space for kids to make silk screens or other art, and other educational experiences.

Warhol was a hoarder but since he was wealthy he would just put what he didnt need into a crate and ship it off to a warehouse for storage... These "Time Capsules" are being opened and catalogued in a room that the public can see (near the cafe/store).

So, yes, all very interesting.

gertiestn

quality posts: 53 Private Messages gertiestn

Last year, the Hirshhorn here in DC had an installation that was really something: "Shadows" by Warhol. It's a set of 102 large silkscreens of shadows and it extended for almost 450 feet along the Hirshhorn's curved wall. I loved it & it changed how I think of Warhol. Here's a link:
http://www.hirshhorn.si.edu/collection/hirshhorn-past-exhibitions/#detail=http%3A//www.hirshhorn.si.edu/bio/andy-warhol-shadows/image_1_552/&collection=hirshhorn-past-exhibitions

faultylogic83

quality posts: 2 Private Messages faultylogic83

Could anyone explain why the soup can is art? I've never understood.

kungfuheero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kungfuheero

Does anyone know if these are originals? Also, any reviews would be helpful. Thanks in advanced.

fjp999

faultylogic83 wrote:Could anyone explain why the soup can is art? I've never understood.

There is a whole lot to it but basically...

Warhol studied as a fine artest. He went to NYC and got jobs doing commercial art, like the stuff you see in shop flyers and store windows etc... He started mixing the two (fine art and commercial art to create pop art) and on his free time did large prints of colorful images of the day that were becoming "pop"ular.

About soup cans... it is easy to see flowers or kittens or sunsets (etc) as beautiful or as art. The people who put together soup cans dont really want you to notice the design in the product but subconsciously notice the design and love it and buy it (whatever it is)... and a lot of time spent on those designs... so Warhol is bringing all those powers to the front and making one notice it. It is also a conversation piece - Just as you have started... why is a soup can art? There are so many levels to it all... and just like the exhibition above of shadows - imagine about 50 soup cans all different colors going on and on ... just beautiful in the simplicity (and comfort food - one can go on and on and on)...

fjp999

kungfuheero wrote:Does anyone know if these are originals? Also, any reviews would be helpful. Thanks in advanced.

Originals? I do hope you are joking. The price here on woot wouldnt cover the insurance for a week on an original Warhol.

I did a long review of the 10 Marilyns I have above... That is the only set I have.

nosty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nosty

http://home.woot.com/offers/everybody-should-like-everybody

Black Fa..ray...me....huh. Must be Italian.