WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Blades of Glory

Ham to cut. Turkey to cut. Pies to cut. Stuffing to cut. It's the best time of the year to be a knife lover. Treat yourself to a new knife today. How else will you slice the banana pudding?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Give us your best cutting remarks about these blades!

I'm just hanging out, really.

Stupoopy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Stupoopy

Shun blades are incredible, I have 4 of them. Two classics (8" chefs, 7" santoku) and two elites (8" chefs, 3" paring).

I started off with the classics, and they are AMAZING. I absolutely love them, and they were my babies. However, upon receiving the elites (from woot), my classics seem dull (but they are also up for a new sharpening).

Let's just say that if you treat these knives right, they'll treat you well.

Japanese blades, in general, will be sharper than their German cousins. This is due to the harder steel used in production, which allows for a steeper blade angle. The issue is that the harder a metal is, the more brittle/chippable it tends to be. On top of that, they can be a little more difficult to sharpen. If you know how to take care of a knife (never cut on ceramic, glass, stone, metal...only on wood and plastic), these might be the knives for you. Always wash right after using (hand wash!), and dry immediately.

No joke, these are excellent knives, and I would recommend you getting one of the paring knives before they run out (the one offered is cheaper than a classic paring, which is lower end).

Edit: I meant to write this before but forgot to. For those of you who are afraid of sharp knives, think of it this way: I consider the most dangerous tool in the kitchen a dull knife. A sharp knife does the cutting for you. The blade effortlessly cuts through your food, and as a result it minimizes the amount of force required for cutting. If you have a dull knife, there is a greater chance of you cutting too hard and the blade slipping off (happened to a friend with butternut squash!) and tearing your hand.

I also use the term "tearing" here, because a dull knife will cause greater cellular trauma to your skin than a sharp knife. The knife will essentially butcher (in a straight line) your hand, or whatever else you cut, and since it's not a wicked clean slice, it will take longer to heal. I have cut myself ONCE, and my knife was so sharp that it healed within 2 or 3 days. It wasn't even noticeable. Trust me here, a good knife is a good friend in the kitchen.

Ventrue

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ventrue

I know that some higher-end knives come with handles that are ergonomically fashioned for use in a particular hand (most often, right hand). I am left-handed, and food preparation is something that I'm not quite as ambidextrous at.

Does anyone know if the Shun Ken Onion paring knife is for a particular hand? It's hard for me to tell, and I've been tricked before by previous knife products.

Snausages01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Snausages01

Already sold out of the 7".

I've been waiting for these to come up again, but no luck this time. I'll be ready next time for it or a nice Shun slicing knife.

gambrinus2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gambrinus2
Ventrue wrote:I know that some higher-end knives come with handles that are ergonomically fashioned for use in a particular hand (most often, right hand). I am left-handed, and food preparation is something that I'm not quite as ambidextrous at.

Does anyone know if the Shun Ken Onion paring knife is for a particular hand? It's hard for me to tell, and I've been tricked before by previous knife products.

I don't have the link, but I remember the Shun web site specifically says that their Ken Onion knives are designed to be used for either hand.

I have the santoku and it would definitely work for either.

gambrinus2

In for one of the Ken Onion Elite paring knives. I bought the Elite 7" santoku on a daily home.woot and it's been amazing. I definitely need the matching knife. =)

If I remember right, the Ken Onion Elite line is a limited edition, as well.

gambrinus2

Incidentally, the sales stats seem to suggest that they only had two of the Santoku and two of the steak knives. That's kind of a tease!

Ventrue

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ventrue
gambrinus2 wrote:I don't have the link, but I remember the Shun web site specifically says that their Ken Onion knives are designed to be used for either hand.

I have the santoku and it would definitely work for either.

Thanks for your response on the handedness of the knives. I think that puts me in for one on the paring knife (I have a Wusthof classic chef's knife as my main workhorse, but it's a bit heavy-handed for vegetable prep).

bantachris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bantachris

arrrrgh, I've been watching woot for a few weeks now waiting for this sale, and the one day I didn't check I missed it!

kellyviall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellyviall

The last 3 times you've had Shun knives, I've tried to purchase the Ken Onion chefs knife & it's always sold out. That's great for y'all, but when it's sold out 10 minutes past midnight, it's frustrating. Can't you offer more & give us a shot, rather than having us wait for the once a month shot we get now? I love woot!, but I want that knife!!! xo

kellyviall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellyviall
bantachris wrote:arrrrgh, I've been watching woot for a few weeks now waiting for this sale, and the one day I didn't check I missed it!

It doesn't matter if you forget to check. The day they sell these, you better be online at midnight or you won't be getting one!

bsalamon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsalamon

The Meat Hammer is massive. Even if you never use it for meat, you can use it as a prop for a Thor costume

bantachris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bantachris
kellyviall wrote:It doesn't matter if you forget to check. The day they sell these, you better be online at midnight or you won't be getting one!

Actually these sales run a little different, this one started at 9am, take a peak at the sales stats

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom
bsalamon wrote:The Meat Hammer is massive. Even if you never use it for meat, you can use it as a prop for a Thor costume

Thanks for your comment, I was wondering if it would dwarf my tiny kitchen. Do you think it would be overkill for flattening chicken breast? I usually use something like a small saucepan. [wondering what woot filters will do with the anatomical reference, only one way to find out, 3,2,1...]

Edit: Really? Nothing? We're so mature these days!

seattlekleins

quality posts: 8 Private Messages seattlekleins

I bought the Elite 3.5" paring knife last time it was up. It's everything I expected it to be and more.

Have a knifeblock with some extra slots, or get yourself a good knife cover from a cooking supply store.

Very much worth it.

NewspaperCrane

quality posts: 10 Private Messages NewspaperCrane

In the event of a Zombie Apocalypse, the Salmon Slicer doubles as a makeshift Katana.

I miss me some wootTV.

jdb6172

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jdb6172

Anyone know if the Messermeister Meat Hammer is flat on the opposite side? Or, does it have teeth on both sides?

birry

quality posts: 2 Private Messages birry

What about the sharpener? Would you put your $100+ Shun knives through it?

angelsgirl2002

quality posts: 3 Private Messages angelsgirl2002

The meat tenderizer...all these years I've just been using a rolling pin on meat in between two pieces of waxed paper. Is this really that much better?

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

angelsgirl2002 wrote:The meat tenderizer...all these years I've just been using a rolling pin on meat in between two pieces of waxed paper. Is this really that much better?

But it's so much more satisfying to smash your meat with a spiky hammer...

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2