WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

All Fruit Cake is Not Created Equal

We're just gonna throw it out there: probably everything you know about fruit cake comes from bad comedians on network TV. Think about it for a second. TV has lied to you about everything. They gave you the end of LOST and took away your Firefly. Why trust them on this? Think for YOURSELF this year.

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

These flavors surprise me. Anyone tried these before? Will this be the year curiosity gets the better of you and you try the cake?

I'm just hanging out, really.

jonathanluu2

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jonathanluu2

You are right: Not all fruit cake is created equal.

My grandmother's fruit cake did not have high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, color additives, and three different kinds of preservatives.

Woot I have no beef with you, as you are doing a fine job of selling us things we may or may not need, it just makes me sad that our culture of today accepts and consumes "food" filled with ingredients that the body does not need or even metabolized for that matter.

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

Where are all the fruit-cake jokes?

inkycatz

vladistov wrote:Where are all the fruit-cake jokes?

I don't know any. Start us off!

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

These scare and intrest me at the same time.

Nad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nad

a cheap tire alternative (I have 3 spares in the trunk), but not good on ice. HFCS...FFS

lstaff

quality posts: 200 Private Messages lstaff

The chocolate one is KOSHER!!!

Woot!Woot!

(Solves the problem of what to bring . . . )

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
jonathanluu2 wrote:You are right: Not all fruit cake is created equal.

My grandmother's fruit cake did not have high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, color additives, and three different kinds of preservatives.

Woot I have no beef with you, as you are doing a fine job of selling us things we may or may not need, it just makes me sad that our culture of today accepts and consumes "food" filled with ingredients that the body does not need or even metabolized for that matter.

If you properly "soak" the fruit cake wih a sufficient amount of rum or brandy, the corn syrup, artificial flavors, color additives and preservatives will be the least of your concerns.

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

For the rum version, do you need to be 21 or older to have it delivered to you?

that was fun while it lasted!

cornellbigred

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cornellbigred
bpr2 wrote:For the rum version, do you need to be 21 or older to have it delivered to you?

Probably not? Most of the alcohol is evaporated in the baking process, so probably not an issue.

By the way, that pineapple macadamia nut cake looks delicious... mmm...

pvcott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pvcott

If you like fruit cake even a little bit... you will probably really like this one... here are reviews from Cabelas
http://www.cabelas.com product # IK-611846

br0seidon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages br0seidon

Could not have said it better myself.

ciabelle

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ciabelle

I'll add to the chorus of folks saying that a real fruitcake should not contain HFCS!

Google "Trappist Monks Fruitcake" and you'll find a number of abbeys selling their own fruitcakes, most of which use mostly wholesome ingredients--The candied fruit invariably contains artificial color and preservatives, etc. Or visit Mondo Fruitcake for reviews and more info on this much-maligned holiday treat.

Re: alcohol content of fruitcakes. It can be rather potent. The cakes are usually soaked in bourbon, rum, Madeira, or other wines or spirits AFTER baking.. It's what helps keep them moist.

With all that said, this is probably not a bad fruitcake, but wouldn't be my first choice.. Just whatever you do--Do not get the "Collins Street Bakery" or other mass produced versions unless you really do want to understand the origins of all those fruitcake jokes.

xkr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xkr

What are the dimensions of hese cakes. I see it weighs 24 ozs...but I would not want to be embarassed by ordering one and then get mocked for it's meagerly size! Size please! All about the size knuckleheads...why must I give voice to what you're all thinking...BOOM!

hvac1000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hvac1000
lstaff wrote:The chocolate one is KOSHER!!!

Woot!Woot!

(Solves the problem of what to bring . . . )

I have had the chocolate style before and it wonderful. The only problem is that it did not last to long with all the company we had that night so I ordered two of them this time. YUMMY!

colbytitus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colbytitus

When I was a kid long ago someone would always give us a fruitcake for Christmas...ahhh memories.

willsign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willsign

friends don't give friends fruitcake!

inkycatz

xkr wrote:What are the dimensions of hese cakes. I see it weighs 24 ozs...but I would not want to be embarassed by ordering one and then get mocked for it's meagerly size! Size please! All about the size knuckleheads...why must I give voice to what you're all thinking...BOOM!

The cakes are 9” across.

fishphotogal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fishphotogal

...makes me sad that our culture of today accepts and consumes "food" filled with ingredients that the body does not need or even metabolized for that matter.

Not to cast any aspersions on your grandmother, but unless she spent weeks in the fall candying her own fruit, I would guess that a preservative or three made it into her fruitcake, and who knows what kind of corn syrup.

ciabelle wrote:I'll add to the chorus of folks saying that a real fruitcake should not contain HFCS!

Google "Trappist Monks Fruitcake" and you'll find a number of abbeys selling their own fruitcakes, most of which use mostly wholesome ingredients--The candied fruit invariably contains artificial color and preservatives, etc. Or visit Mondo Fruitcake for reviews and more info on this much-maligned holiday treat.

Re: alcohol content of fruitcakes. It can be rather potent. The cakes are usually soaked in bourbon, rum, Madeira, or other wines or spirits AFTER baking.. It's what helps keep them moist.

Just whatever you do--Do not get the "Collins Street Bakery" or other mass produced versions unless you really do want to understand the origins of all those fruitcake jokes.

I have to disagree about Collin Street fruitcakes. They are pretty good, but not great until you give them a soak in bourbon. Then they become all a fruitcake can be.

I'm a little surprised that these cakes come pre-soaked, as all the alcohol will probably have evaporated before consumption and that is not optimal. But being pre flavored with booze, you could easily quick soak one and get it back where it should be.

Soaking a fruitcake properly should take weeks. Wrap it in booze soaked cheesecloth, bag it, and refrigerate for 5 days. Then repeat. After 3 weeks or so the fruitcake is ready to eat. I like bourbon some prefer cognac or dark rum. Can't go wrong with a blend.

Costco fruitcake couldn't be made good this way, but it did make it edible.

hehthuryo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages hehthuryo

Definitely buying the one with the rum and hopefully there's a ton of rum in it.

inkycatz

hehthuryo wrote:Definitely buying the one with the rum and hopefully there's a ton of rum in it.

Be sure to report back, okay?

klynb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages klynb

When will these be shipped? I'd like to buy a cake for a Christmas present and don't want it to get here too early.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen

Our family re-gifted the same fruit cake for years!

xkr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xkr
inkycatz wrote:The cakes are 9” across.

Thank you...maybe that s/b included in the description you think!

colbytitus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colbytitus
jiggersgreen wrote:Our family re-gifted the same fruit cake for years!

That's funny. My Stepmother's family sent a fruitcake along with the same Christmas card back and forth between their family and a cousin's family for like 20 years. It was a running joke.

montegobayjr

quality posts: 10 Private Messages montegobayjr

Uses for Fruitcake

Use as a doorstop

Use as boat anchor

Use as a pencil holder

Give it to the cat for a scratching post

Put it in the back yard to feed the birds and squirrels

Use as replacement for Duraflame log

Replaces free weights when you work out

Personally, I always thought of Fruitcake as some kind of punishment...

Don't start, I'm sure there are plenty of you who cherish the stuff, it's a joke...well, except for the punishment part.

Now chocolate cake with rum?

I'M IN!

montegobayjr

colbytitus wrote:That's funny. My Stepmother's family sent a fruitcake along with the same Christmas card back and forth between their family and a cousin's family for like 20 years. It was a running joke.

Johnny Carson often joked that there existed only one fruitcake in the world and it was passed around from family to family at holidays, ever unwanted yet indestructible.

In 1990, he hired a demolition crew to destroy it once and for all. They tried to drag it in chains behind a pickup truck. Railroaders beat it with pickaxes and sledge hammers. A karate master smashed it with his forehead (and lost his head); but the fruitcake remained victorious.

montegobayjr

From the Amazon listing @ http://www.amazon.com/Beatrice-Bakery-Inc-Decadent-Chocolate/dp/B0006HGNLW

This moist decadent chocolate rum cake is a chocolate lovers dream. It is a rich blend of the finest cocoa and dark rum baked to moist, sweet perfection!
Available in a 16 oz. ring cake that serves 8-12. Serve chilled and slice with a sharp, wet knife!
In 1917, a father and his sons revealed the sweet results of a secret recipe they brought to America fro Europe. This recipe held the magic to creating a dessert cake so perfect in every way, it was concluded that no one but a grandma could have dreamed it up!
Today, her spirit is behind every treat that carries the Grandma's Bake Shoppe name. Without her, the world would never get to experience the moist and delicious dessert cakes that have become so loved year after year!
Certified Kosher cake. Triangle-K certification is awarded by a consortium of Orthodox Jewish rabbis who desire to see as wide a range of food products as possible made available to kosher consumers worldwide!

And I believe this is the website for all the items: http://www.beatricebakery.com/

AGrant311

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AGrant311

Did I miss when these were shipping?

araess1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages araess1
AGrant311 wrote:Did I miss when these were shipping?

Thanks for this post. Mine haven't shipped & I wondered if it the order got lost.

inkycatz

If it's been over five business days since you've ordered, feel free to mail in to support@woot.com and get a status check on things.