WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Are you looking forward to Black Friday?
  • 13.5% - Yes! Such great deals! 273
  • 4.2% - No. I hate having to camp out all Thanksgiving. 85
  • 28.8% - Yes! I love watching videos of stupid people and laughing! 581
  • 50.7% - No. I regret we’ve become so commercialized. 1023
  • 2.7% - Some other answer I’ll put in the comments. 54
2016 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

You mean Buy Nothing Day? ;-)

http://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

msmmain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msmmain

yes! it's the day my family & I go play in the snow & get our tree!

purrplekat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages purrplekat

From teen to early adulthood, I worked on every black Friday. Because of that, I do not shop black Friday. I saw way too much of the ugly side of humanity on those days to ever want to go out and be a part of it. Additionally the "doorbusters" are always limited quantities, and they are the lures to draw in customers; why bother with it all if I have such a slim chance to get what I really want? If a store doesn't have the items I came to get, it isn't likely I am going to spend money earmarked for those items on something else. I remember a coworker nearly got trampled for the 25 tickets he had for the big screen TV doorbuster, had a big burly guy not stepped in to help him. The customers came at him like a football team without regard for him or anyone else in their path. I can do without all of that, thanks.

redslaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redslaw

Pathetic attempt to get low information buyers to stand in line for last years items at marginal discounts....

benesk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benesk

I think we overcommercialized the holiday, but I do love the deals I get... its prettymuch the best day for deals.

bacalum

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bacalum

No turkey for me; chickens, maybe, but no turkey. The good part of being in Asia was not being inundated with campaign baloney, and now, not being inundated with marketing hype. The bad thing is missing family and traditional foods. More rice and chickens' feet, anyone?

When rich or powerful people propose a change, it is designed to make them richer or more powerful.

KSPYKayte

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KSPYKayte

No, because I'm working midnight to noon that day. >_<

csandassociates

quality posts: 0 Private Messages csandassociates

Always go hiking on black Friday. Get away from the crowds no sale is worth that mess

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

I'm really confused where these people learned the USA was a "Christian" Nation. We where founded under FREEDOM from religion. I think the teachers aren't teaching everything history wise...

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

I like getting good deals, but I'd obviously rather not get them on a holiday. I go out and shop, but I also make an extra effort to be nice to those around me. It goes a long way.

There's so much talk about these poor workers having to work on Thanksgiving, but SO MANY people work on holidays regardless. The utilities that are always running, the movie theatres, TV stations, and radio, all sorts of people work on the holiday and don't throw a fit about it.

emeycakes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeycakes

I will be working in a clothing store on Black Friday that is in an outlet mall that opens at midnight. Thankfully I get to work 8a-5p. I have never shopped on Black Friday; I shop year round and get deals on what I want. Plus, I think it's pathetic that people are willing to shop on Thanksgiving, stand in line for hours, and for what? To get some TV that they probably can't afford anyway? It's sad.

diabolicaljedi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diabolicaljedi

I hate having to fight crowds. I'd rather pay more for something when stores aren't so crowded.

Also, I have to work on Friday, so I couldn't really go out shopping if I wanted to.

nola2172

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nola2172

Though I don't do the early morning madness on Black Friday, I find that it is the best day to buy rather mundane things that never otherwise go on sale (for instance, it is the day I always buy new men's white t-shirts).

mellingera

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mellingera

After working retail as a young person for a few years, I developed a deep hate for Black Friday. I do nothing to support the economy on Black Friday. If I have the option, I don't even leave my house.

lynnemt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lynnemt

I love Black Friday and look forward to it every year. My daughter and I, along with some faithful friends, make black Friday an annual event. I never focus on getting that one hot item, but there are great buys on Black Friday. The group meets for lunch around 11:30 AM and swap "great buy" stories.

We have what is called Blue Laws in Massachusetts and stores aren't allowed to open on Thanksgiving day. I think opening on Thanksgiving wrecks the Black Friday tradition.

I've got my sneakers ready for a fun and frantic Black Friday!

bacalum

kutiel wrote:I'm really confused where these people learned the USA was a "Christian" Nation. We where founded under FREEDOM from religion. I think the teachers aren't teaching everything history wise...

You and thomas53 have some common misconceptions.
* The first amendment begins, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...." You are free to choose a religion, AND free to try to persuade others that your unproven beliefs are correct.
* Many of the important founders were deists - not Christians, and not atheists. Learn the difference!
* In Washington's time, Christmas was not even marked by a day off. In some places you'd get the afternoon or evening off to go to church, but that was it.
* cornucopiaens bears a great deal of responsibility for many modern Christmas traditions.
* Biblical scholars note that according to the gospels, Jesus would have been born in spring; that's when the shepherds would have been in the pastures with their flocks, NOT winter.
* The winter observance seems to have been chosen to fall a few days after Saturnalia, when the Roman soldiers would have been too hung over, or otherwise not in the mood, to bother early Christians having their own religious services.

When rich or powerful people propose a change, it is designed to make them richer or more powerful.

bacalum

[quote postid="5248093" user="bacalum"]You and thomas53 have some common misconceptions.

Cri mi ny! Woot! censored Di ck ens! That's ridiculous, woot!

cleocatra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cleocatra

No, because I'm working from 10 pm on Thursday to 10 am on Friday, then returning to work 6 pm to 11 pm.

parkcm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parkcm

I use to be a big Black Friday person but now... you can usually get a better deal online. And now that I am not a starving college student. I can have the luxury of a very slightly bigger budget. This year, it seems more like Grey Thursday than Black Friday. I am not willing to give up family friends and Thanksgiving for shopping. The best gift is the gift of time not possessions.

edgrrrzzmom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages edgrrrzzmom

Nyah!Nyah! I've had my Xmas shopping done since September.

blade965

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blade965

Black Friday- The day American's trample one another exactly one day after being thankful for what they already have!!

ShaggyTx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShaggyTx

A good day to hang the Christmas lights and stay out of the crowds.

calicojack42

quality posts: 3 Private Messages calicojack42

"No. I regret we’ve become so commercialized"

Ironic that this was my choice on an e-commerce site.

mishmash5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mishmash5

No, because I have not one emotion connected to Black Friday.

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky

My son is begging me to go shopping Friday. He's been caught! I need to rescue him back to sanity. Help!!

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
bacalum wrote:
* Biblical scholars note that according to the gospels, Jesus would have been born in spring; that's when the shepherds would have been in the pastures with their flocks, NOT winter.

More likely fall. Still would have been out, not that cold, yet. October, most likely. Based on timing of Levitical schedules as stated in the Bible.

cat38skip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cat38skip

I'm taking some of my cool Woot-Loot and going sailing ...

candiceb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages candiceb

As someone who worked Black Friday three years in a row in college and did not get to go home and see my family (I was allowed the choice to either work Black Friday or Christmas Eve) I hate it. You really do see the nasty side of humanity when they're rushing into your store at 6:00 am or earlier, just to get little Johnny his Christmas present for a few bucks less than normal.

I've been out to stores on Black Friday a couple times, but always in the afternoon (after work generally), and I always make sure to thank whatever employees I see working, ask them how their day has been, and when I was still working retail, we'd swap customer horror stories.

This year I'll be spending this Friday at one with nature, in the mountains with my family. I have no need to participate in any of the sales, and that makes me happier than most people could know.