WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Towle Living Basics Serving Sets

Nope, no towels in here! Towle is a maker of flatware so good, they can sound like they do something else all together! They don't even care! How gangsta is that? Seriously, these are some hardcore serving sets right here. Jump on 'em.
Towle official site

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Now I know we've got a lot of Oneida fans but how do these stack up?

I'm just hanging out, really.

leduke

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leduke

This set appears to be 18/0 stainless, not 18/10 (like the gorgeous Oneida set I picked up from homewoot earlier this year). Bottom line - it won't hold up as well. Too bad - aforementioned Oneida set didn't have much in the way of serving pieces.

gyldedfynix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gyldedfynix

I have an 18/10 Towle set that are heavy and fantastic. Usually, it's the 18/10, 18/8, 18/0 (silver to I think, nickel) content that matters in flatware, not necessarily the maker. So, don't discount Towle in general, but this set isn't up to par on its makeup. Go for an 18/10 set when you find one.

mdnorman

quality posts: 52 Private Messages mdnorman
gyldedfynix wrote:I have an 18/10 Towle set that are heavy and fantastic. Usually, it's the 18/10, 18/8, 18/0 (silver to I think, nickel) content that matters in flatware, not necessarily the maker. So, don't discount Towle in general, but this set isn't up to par on its makeup. Go for an 18/10 set when you find one.

I would venture to suggest that the distinction between 18/10 and 18/0 isn't so important for a "serving set" that is likely to be used infrequently (special occasions, holidays, etc.) I'd be more concerned about the greater durability of the 18/10 composition for flatware that is being used day in/day out, and subjected to a lot of dishwasher beatings and other abuse.

gyldedfynix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gyldedfynix
mdnorman wrote:I would venture to suggest that the distinction between 18/10 and 18/0 isn't so important for a "serving set" that is likely to be used infrequently (special occasions, holidays, etc.) I'd be more concerned about the greater durability of the 18/10 composition for flatware that is being used day in/day out, and subjected to a lot of dishwasher beatings and other abuse.

Very true. I got a serving set for free with my place settings, though, so I can't really say too much.