• 0.6% - Under 1000 sq. ft. 39
  • 2% - 1000-1500 sq. ft. 143
  • 5.1% - 1500-2000 sq. ft. 361
  • 7% - 2000-2500 sq. ft. 494
  • 79.1% - 2500-3000 sq. ft. 5570
  • 2.8% - 3000-3500 sq. ft. 200
  • 3.3% - Over 3500 sq. ft. 235
7042 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

jnelson203

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jnelson203

The one we make our home.

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel
jnelson203 wrote:The one we make our home.

Find it hard to agree with that. My house if far too large for our family.

Oaney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Oaney
kutiel wrote:Find it hard to agree with that. My house if far too large for our family.

Yeah, I am living alone in 3400 sq ft right now. It is a complete waste of CO2.

hpesoj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hpesoj

Eh. My perfect home is 130 sq feet (12 m^2).

Why, you ask?

• Mortgage? What mortgage? $25k to build! That's nearly the downpayment I had to make on my old McMansion!
  • Cleaning is easy-peasy; small space = less to clean
  • Clutter is non-existant, since there's no room. Buying anything means something else has to go
  • Sick of neighbors/town/city/weather? Just drive away!
  • Incredibly small carbon footprint for both building and living (add some solar panels for even more independence)

thealb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thealb

Is it not possible to have a "perfect sized house" that's 2500-3000sq ft?

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

I looked up my own home and it says 948 feet, but I'm assuming that's only counting one floor, because that's just crazy. It's a three bedroom home with a family room and a living room and more.

PUfelix85

quality posts: 2 Private Messages PUfelix85

I feel like this is dependent on the number of family members. I vote/request this post be moved to kids.woot.

x8

PUfelix85

quality posts: 2 Private Messages PUfelix85
hpesoj wrote:Eh. My perfect home is 130 sq feet (12 m^2).

Why, you ask?

• Mortgage? What mortgage? $25k to build! That's nearly the downpayment I had to make on my old McMansion!
  • Cleaning is easy-peasy; small space = less to clean
  • Clutter is non-existant, since there's no room. Buying anything means something else has to go
  • Sick of neighbors/town/city/weather? Just drive away!
  • Incredibly small carbon footprint for both building and living (add some solar panels for even more independence)

This seems to be lacking in plumbing, electricity, and other useful amenities... however, I approve.

x8

FeeJswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FeeJswoot

I have to gripe about the units on this poll. "sq/ft" would imply square per feet; I don't know what that is. "sq. ft." fine, "ft^2" maybe too technical for some.

And I agree with the previous poster that it is a function of quantity of residents in the house.

misstenacity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages misstenacity

More sq ft ---> more stuff ---> less happiness

I used to design my own ideal house using those simple software tools; it always ended up right around 1000 sq ft and that was with a guest bedroom!

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

You wishbones left out the perfect size for a normal family, 2500-3000 Sq. Ft!

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

The perfect-sized house is the one in which you feel most comfortable. If you feel comfortable in a 6000 sq.ft. house with multiple guest rooms, offices, media rooms, etc. and can afford the help to keep it clean, then it is perfect for you. On the same concept, a two bedroom, one bath, kitchen and living room 900 sq.ft. home may be perfect for some. I'm moving from a 3000+ sq.ft. home to a 1900 sq.ft. home because the spouse prefers smaller, and because the kids are gone. I'll miss the old, big house, but for me the perfect sized home is one where my spouse and I live in harmony.

jesssup

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jesssup

I would rather have a small house with a large yard than a large house with a small or nonexistent yard. I prefer to do things outside. What I really want is a nice work shed where I can build stuff.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

My house is 1500 sq ft. I would prefer it to be slightly bigger and think 1800-2000 sq ft would be perfect.

There's 3 of us living there, a dog, and a cat. It's 3 bedrooms and 1 bath.

funda62

quality posts: 4 Private Messages funda62

As someone with a hobby that takes a lot of space (sewing) I need more room. I'd prefer 2500 sq.ft. or around that. Right now my girls share a room (nothing wrong with that) so that I can have a sewing room (yes I'm THAT mom).

mebwebb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mebwebb

I may be 63 years old but I'm a died in the wool Wooter! When asked about the perfect sized house, I gave you what mine is and it has been perfect for us since 1987! We raised 3 kids in it, had 25 Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings in it, umpteen birthday parties, etc., where we've fed up to 19 people in the dining room and I don't ever want to leave it! My departed mother-in-law had 2 signs hanging in her house and I live by them.."My house is clean enough to be healthy but dirty enough to be happy." The other one (hanging in her bathroom) said, "If you sprinkle when you tinkle, please be neat and wipe the seat!" When you raise two boys and a husband, that last saying needs to be taken to heart!!!! Now, I'll NEVER have those signs hanging in my house but they helped all along these many years!

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta
thealb wrote:Is it not possible to have a "perfect sized house" that's 2500-3000sq ft?

Yeah, that's what I would have voted for. Ours is somewhere between 2000-2500 and I would like it just a bit larger.

Although really it comes down to layout. With the right layout, a smaller amount of space can be just as good. The layout of our house sucks.

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

I have never lived in more than maybe 1000 sq ft. My last house was 760 sq ft for a family of three with two cats and a dog. We did move when our daughter was born but until the was 9 months old we had FOUR of us in that space. We now live in maybe...900 sq ft? It makes having hobbies a challenge (sewing, treadmill, etc...) but otherwise is a great size. Wish we did have a guest room at times though so the older kids could come crash without taking over the front room.

crystalrose629

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crystalrose629

HOLY CRAP 3000sq/ft!! I couldn't imagine but I guess this is from a mom's stand point. I have 4 kids under 4 (so 6 people) in about 1500 sq/ft and I think it is perfect. I mean I could use a little more room but I could not imagine having to clean 2x's the space I have now. 2 kids to a room 2 bathrooms. I like everyone being together with the open spaces.

natalieug

quality posts: 11 Private Messages natalieug

The weather is too nice here to spend much time inside. Better a little house with a big yard than a big house with a little yard.

poontzy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poontzy

3800 SQ FT house~6 bedrooms, three baths, and 6 "other" rooms for 3 people. My house is NEVER really "clean". Oh I wish for a smaller house. 2000 would be perfect. My husband would never give up is 11,000 SQ FT (yes I typed that correctly) wood shop....at least I don't have to clean that!

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103
mebwebb wrote:I may be 63 years old but I'm a died in the wool Wooter! When asked about the perfect sized house, I gave you what mine is and it has been perfect for us since 1987! We raised 3 kids in it, had 25 Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings in it, umpteen birthday parties, etc., where we've fed up to 19 people in the dining room and I don't ever want to leave it! My departed mother-in-law had 2 signs hanging in her house and I live by them.."My house is clean enough to be healthy but dirty enough to be happy." The other one (hanging in her bathroom) said, "If you sprinkle when you tinkle, please be neat and wipe the seat!" When you raise two boys and a husband, that last saying needs to be taken to heart!!!! Now, I'll NEVER have those signs hanging in my house but they helped all along these many years!

So-----what size IS yours?