2%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

chado006

quality posts: 7 Private Messages chado006

Can anybody find some reviews on this thing? My searching is coming up with absolutely nothing.

garyoa1

quality posts: 11 Private Messages garyoa1

http://www.directionsforme.org/index.php/directions/product/OFFICE/00846145070177
Made in China, manufacturer in Texas.

I see.

Wudooeyeno?

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Since woot is deleting all direct links to the website you should google Shredz and find out how much of a gift pile they are.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

CowboyDann wrote:Since woot is deleting all direct links to the website you should google Shredz and find out how much of a gift pile they are.

I don't think that's the right company. It's a service company.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
ThunderThighs wrote:I don't think that's the right company. It's a service company.

Well shoot you're right. This is why Explanations help to accompany deleted links.

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808

Secretcow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Secretcow

Here's the same thing but uh, different brand(s):

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Sheet-Function-Micro-Shredder/dp/B006GBLJ5W

http://www.amazon.com/SimplyShred-FHC307D-Sheet-Micro-Shredder/dp/B0052N9Z42
Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyMgiFCvCVI

Seems to be made by some chinese company and then rebranded.

[MOD: I think you're on to something but those are 7-sheet shredders. Ours does 11-sheets.]

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100

The fact that this shreds up to 11 sheets means that you can insert many junk mailings without opening the envelope (3-4 sheets of paper tri-folded). I have to say, few things are more satisfying than shoving unopened junk mail into a shredder. It's a highlight of my week.

Then again, I have no life so your mileage may vary...

sdc100

If this did a confetti cut, I'd be all over it. Cross cut is good, but if you're unlucky enough, a 1.5" cross cut strip may be large enough to show important sequences of numbers.

apportum

quality posts: 6 Private Messages apportum

Shredz appears to be distributed by Ebase 4 Group, Inc. Not much on their website at http://www.ebase4.com/. Like you, I was unable to find any reviews of the products.

chado006 wrote:Can anybody find some reviews on this thing? My searching is coming up with absolutely nothing.

Zerxer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zerxer

Seems to have all the right features... but does it shred coffee?

sdc100

From le description:

Shreds: paper, credit cards and CD/DVDs

I'm surprised that it doesn't also shred staples, and maybe even paper clips. Teeth that can handle 11 sheets can generally shred staples with ease.

On a related issue, do you guys know how recyclers feel about having bits of credit cards and CDs (and staples and paper clips) mixed in with the paper? I've tried looking for answers but can't find any. I currently take the paper bin out when shredding plastic but you simply can't remove every piece since they get stuck in the teeth. Of note, plastic pieces are inevitable since many envelops have plastic windows. But that plastic is very different from DVD and credit card plastic. Anyone know whether we can mix plastic and metal into recyclable paper? And out of curiosity, how recyclers remove the unwanted plastic?

Takran

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Takran

I don't own this exact shredder, so I can't speak to it specifically. However, I have owned a more basic Shredz 8-page shredder for almost a year now and it has handled everything I throw at it with no problem (up to its rated limit, including credit cards, which it destroys with ease).

I noticed not long ago that it was starting to collect some paper in the teeth, so I ran a shredder lubricant sheet through and it cleared it right up. Take care of your shredder and it will take care of you - or, at least, your sensitive documents.

4/1/2007 - The $1,000,001 Baiting other consumers

xochiluvr

quality posts: 14 Private Messages xochiluvr

The cross cut shredder description wasn't a timely and humorous call to action for New York Police Departments?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/11/26/thanksgiving-macys-parade-confidential-police-confetti/1728375/

I blame Amazon. (lolz)

leilana80

quality posts: 23 Private Messages leilana80

Ok... what are the odds of this coming before Christmas?

darrylk

quality posts: 4 Private Messages darrylk
chado006 wrote:Can anybody find some reviews on this thing? My searching is coming up with absolutely nothing.

Try this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16846645001

Branded differently, but pretty sure it's the same thing. Reviews aren't that great, but FWIW I've had one of these for over a year and a half and haven't had any problems with it.

Jackson20

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jackson20
darrylk wrote:Try this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16846645001

Branded differently, but pretty sure it's the same thing. Reviews aren't that great, but FWIW I've had one of these for over a year and a half and haven't had any problems with it.

Thanks! Lets me know what they're doing.

patty30068

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patty30068

Not too long ago I watched a BBC procedural, a cop show I forget the name of, and it centered around an ex-Stasi agent who had emigrated to Britain and made his living at a mobbed up recycling center pasting together shredded documents that had made their way there. So I guess that is A Thing and it made me a bit paranoid about using my ancient vertical shredder. I am wondering how many more years shredding will be useful what with my greatly diminished junk mail, paper bills and even dvds and credit 'cards'seeming kinda Old School. Anyway, bought one.

sacarino

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sacarino
patty30068 wrote:it made me a bit paranoid about using my ancient vertical shredder.

You can't dumpster dive someone's fireplace. Use an older vertical shredder to create paper logs using a log press for things you don't need turned into ticker tape.

This is in parallel to owning a decent shredder, not in place of it...

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid
leilana80 wrote:Ok... what are the odds of this coming before Christmas?

If you get it in time, wrap it with sensitive documents so the lucky recipient can use it right away!

zollars23

quality posts: 15 Private Messages zollars23

I've had 4 shredders over the past few years and all but one died quickly. It doesn't seem to matter what brand or where it's made. I've had the Staples Mailmate that lasted about 13 months.. 1 year warranty.

Another was an expensive Fellowes, it lasted 6 months.. 90 day warranty.

The only one that lasted was a small shredder that does only 1 page at a time, and you have to fold each sheet of paper in half. That one has lasted about 7 years and still works.

Shredders have now become disposable because they have become so ubiquitous. You're no better off buying a $200 one than a $40 one. And they are all made in China. So, get over the idea that you can get one made in the US.

(V) (;,,;) (V) <---Zoidberg

{img]https://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/712b9375-5487-4897-baf4-2212baf8dbca.png[/img]

sdc100

garyoa1 wrote:http://www.directionsforme.org/index.php/directions/product/OFFICE/00846145070177
Made in China, manufacturer in Texas.

I see.

The Texas company merely stamps on their brand and sells them in the US. The actual manufacturer is Chinese. The shredder's model number is FHC511M, and all searches eventually lead to the Ningbo Wong Hing Handicrafts Co., Ltd., whose Sales Rep is Mrs. Dragon Chou. What a cool name.

The wholesale price for each unit is "negotiable," but you must order at least 1260 pieces. However, they limit each order to 50,000 pieces.

sdc100

leilana80 wrote:Ok... what are the odds of this coming before Christmas?

VERY good. My last few Woots shipped in 1-2 days -- which is not always a good thing because I was used to having a few days to cancel. They then arrived within 4-5 days after ordering. The new faster shipping is a result of having more distribution centers.

MommaBeary

quality posts: 10 Private Messages MommaBeary
Takran wrote:I noticed not long ago that it was starting to collect some paper in the teeth, so I ran a shredder lubricant sheet through and it cleared it right up.

????? Shredder lubricant sheet????

Obviously, I need an education

workinpoor

quality posts: 15 Private Messages workinpoor

Does it really shred CDs, or just etch a pattern on them to render them unusable...or is that what "shredding a CD" really is?

maeder

quality posts: 9 Private Messages maeder

I bought one some time back from NewEgg. It had a Rosewill label, but is otherwise identical in appearance.
Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16846645001

Forget about shredding junk mail, or 11 sheets. for plain unfolded copier paper 6 is a practical limit. It may huff and puff and overheat as tries to slowly deal with an 11 page wad. Don't do it!

Physically fragile! I have performed glue jobs in two places to keep it running.
1 The motor mount to the lid assembly was cracked (heavy motor+soft plastic+ transport).
2. The tab on the drum that enables the top broke off and was creatively jimmied with a recycled credit card.

Overheating. Long runs cause it to stall with a significant cool down period. Keep the blades well lubricated by passing through a page sprayed with WD-40 or similar.

trex71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trex71
zollars23 wrote:I've had 4 shredders over the past few years and all but one died quickly. It doesn't seem to matter what brand or where it's made. I've had the Staples Mailmate that lasted about 13 months.. 1 year warranty.

The only one that lasted was a small shredder that does only 1 page at a time, and you have to fold each sheet of paper in half. That one has lasted about 7 years and still works.

Shredders have now become disposable because they have become so ubiquitous. You're no better off buying a $200 one than a $40 one. And they are all made in China. So, get over the idea that you can get one made in the US.

Just do a google search for American made home paper shredders and you might be suprised how many are out there.

rmeden

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rmeden
MommaBeary wrote:????? Shredder lubricant sheet????

Obviously, I need an education

Generally it is a sheet of paper saturated with oil.

I just used copier paper soaked in vegetable oil. Quieted mine down a bit.

t2000kw

quality posts: 5 Private Messages t2000kw
zollars23 wrote:I've had 4 shredders over the past few years and all but one died quickly. It doesn't seem to matter what brand or where it's made. I've had the Staples Mailmate that lasted about 13 months.. 1 year warranty.

A later post deals with US-made shredders.

I've also owned an expensive but refurbished Fellowes shredder and was disappointed then it failed after 2 or 3 years. What failed was a gear made of pot-metal that couldn't be welded back to the shaft to fix it. I bought an Office Max expensive model that was on clearance and have been happy with it so far for 2 years.

I think the smaller ones last longer because they're not trying to shred so much material at once. A shredder that only shreds 3-4 sheets at a time doesn't have as much stress on the mechanical and motor parts as one that shreds over 15 sheets, like the ones I have had.

The latest one I have (the one from Office Max) has a good overload protection built into the shredder. But most of the time I don't get anywhere near the 18 sheet limit. I'm sure that the number of sheets is partly dependent on the paper thickness, so 18 sheets of really thin paper won't be as much of a load on the system as the same number of sheets of 20# paper. The figures aren't very exact in the product descriptions I've read.

I probably don't put mine through as much use as you do. I don't shred junk mail. I do shred mail with account information on it. While I don't have credit card bills, I do have utility bills and other things that I would prefer to keep private, not because it would cause me any problems, but just on general principle. If the government wanted to read your shredded documents, they have the means and ability to piece things back together. The tinier the shredded pieces are, the more difficult it will be to put the original document(s) back together, but it's not impossible unless you subsequently burn the shredded mass.

Donald

Unclesally

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Unclesally

Put the shreds in the Ecomposter and use for mulch.

newjerseymax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages newjerseymax

I was all hype to buy this, but now not so much after reading posts... I mean for $45 am I getting something that will last couple of years if just shredding basic junk mail and few letters here and there?