Staff

Poll: If I see a spider in the house, I:
  • 8.8% - Jump on top of a table and squeal like a little girl 119
  • 53.8% - Smoosh it dead 727
  • 7.8% - Ignore it and then obsess about it crawling into my ear at night 106
  • 24.6% - Capture it humanely and then release it outside 333
  • 5% - Other (comments, please) 67
1352 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

astroliner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages astroliner

Disappointed there aren't more votes for Option 3. I won't care about no stinking spider... until I later realize I don't know where it went and what if it's on me or in my bed or it died on the floor somewhere and I accidentally step on dead bug in bare feet........

dtierce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dtierce

It depends on the spider and if I can identify it as helpful/harmful. Most of them I'll kill, but a jumping spider is allowed to share my home or at least be humanely placed outside.

Jumping spiders are cool!

dtierce

davemeigs5

quality posts: 8 Private Messages davemeigs5

Nothing, they keep worse bugs out of the house.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

"Capture it humanly and then release it outside".

Really woot? Humanly as opposed to spiderly or birdly?

Or maybe you meant humanely, which would still be inexcusable.

animama

quality posts: 1 Private Messages animama

I get huge wolf spiders in the house. I learned not to try to smoosh them when I hit a female with a gazillion babies on her back. I now spray them with Home Defense.

crossedcrowns

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crossedcrowns

For just this purpose, God gave me sons. The spider ends up dead, and my boys (18 and 20) kid me. I contend each and every time that it is a Skulltula, so my reaction is justified.

glennajeanius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glennajeanius

flush it!

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl
glennajeanius wrote:flush it!

But... What if it crawls back up out of the pipes and bites you in the...

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl

My spider rules:
If it's outside, it can usually stay (unless it's a black widow... Two bites from them has been two too many). Wolf spiders in my house die... As they are the most prevalent, and get HUGE. I also get sick from their bite. Daddy-Long-Legs can stay, and I usually save the babies even (though I secretly fear they may evolve so as to easily bite and kill me with their fierce venom). The first time I saw a tarantula in the house I was 7... And I smashed it with a hammer. Now that I know more about them, I take them to my irritating neighbors property. Most garden spiders can stay (even though their webs are so not fun to run into)... There are a few garden spiders that are considered pests, and I have learned the difference... The pests gotta go.
All bets are off if they crawl on me while I am sleeping or attempting sleep.

javamatte

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javamatte

Staff

animama wrote:I get huge wolf spiders in the house. I learned not to try to smoosh them when I hit a female with a gazillion babies on her back. I now spray them with Home Defense.

This post just fueled my nightmares for the rest of my life.

I'm going to go cower in the corner clutching some hairspray and a lighter... Someone please send help if I'm not at work tomorrow.

plink22lr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plink22lr
dtierce wrote:It depends on the spider and if I can identify it as helpful/harmful. Most of them I'll kill, but a jumping spider is allowed to share my home or at least be humanely placed outside.

Jumping spiders are cool!

dtierce

I had one named George, he? hung out on the edge of my monitor and would catch flies at night. I miss him.

Sparktrician

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sparktrician

Jumping spiders get to stay because they rarely bite, they kill other bugs, and they don't make lots of webs. Garden spiders and most others get put outside. Black Widows and Brown Recluses get squashed because they are dangerous to people.

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom

I have a spider living in my car. Until last week I only saw (and removed) the webs she was starting in the corners of my windshield, but I finally saw her peek out from the sun visor.

She's not there now, but she's still somewhere in the car.

I haven't seen any big spiders inside my house. Small ones I ignore or relocate.

omomma

quality posts: 1 Private Messages omomma
curtisuxor wrote:"Capture it humanly and then release it outside".

Really woot? Humanly as opposed to spiderly or birdly?

Or maybe you meant humanely, which would still be inexcusable.

YES! I was going to write the same! I usually capture it spiderly because it is respectful to Spider-kind.
Plus, it's bad luck to kill spiders...

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Clean up the webs, if they're unsightly, leave the spiders alone, unless they get in the way of the vacuum. Oh well....

Where's the Fruitcake?? Woot-filter doesn't change vacuum to RoombaDysonHooverBUYBUYBUY??? ;-P

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

cooker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cooker

If I see it and it's not harmful, it stays. Spiders in the house are useful little self-powered exterminators (and my Polish step-father told they are good luck (why not)). If my wife or one of the girls see them, spidey is doomed. They want retribution for the incursion into THEIR world.

facemeetpavement

quality posts: 0 Private Messages facemeetpavement

first i usually look at it for a bit because spiders are cool lookin', then leave it so it will hopefully kill mosquitos and the like.

cxhill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cxhill

I point it out to the cats and watch the National Geographic Home Game unfold.

taz3781

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taz3781

If it's set up shop near a door in my home, I'd ask it if it would like a cup of tea or perhaps a leg massage. I don't mind having a bug bouncer to keep out the riff-Raff.

internaut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages internaut

Depends on the spider. Jumping spiders are always welcomed.

to NY ┌►

sunnyx0r

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sunnyx0r
cxhill wrote:I point it out to the cats and watch the National Geographic Home Game unfold.

This.

aehelephant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aehelephant

If it's just a house spider (little and staying in the corner) I let it be, unless it's turned into a giant house spider, then it's dead, or I might try to take it outside. If it's any other type of spider in the house, I tend to kill it, unless I'm in a magnanimous mood. I adore spiders in the wild, unless they're the deadly/dangerously poisonous type. Orb weavers are the ones I adore the the most. ^_^

swantner

quality posts: 2 Private Messages swantner

If it's not bugging me, ignore it. Exclude the paranoia of it crawling anywhere.

Face76

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Face76

Isn't this the reason why Woot sells the hand held Dysons?

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444
cxhill wrote:I point it out to the cats and watch the National Geographic Home Game unfold.

yes! agreed!

viidim7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages viidim7

Windex can kill from 5 feet away. No chance of the spider jumping on you and eating your face at the last second.

mgodawski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgodawski

one word everybody... CAT.

My little ladies will chase that vermin around and eat 'em.

Its funny to see them with the wiggling legs hanging out of their mouths.

Good girls!

--its the Shendy principle

johnnymercer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnnymercer
davemeigs5 wrote:Nothing, they keep worse bugs out of the house.

Agreed. Spiders are ten times better than flies, and a thousand times better than crickets.

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

Let it go about its business. Killing the really nasty bugs.

woodchuckqueen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woodchuckqueen

Sorry people. Spiders are pure evil, and thus inspire total and completely irrational horror. Somebody else can smash them...I'll supervise from as far away as possible

matt1976

quality posts: 10 Private Messages matt1976

'Tis bad luck to kill a spider.

losbradley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages losbradley
astroliner wrote:Disappointed there aren't more votes for Option 3. I won't care about no stinking spider... until I later realize I don't know where it went and what if it's on me or in my bed or it died on the floor somewhere and I accidentally step on dead bug in bare feet........

My thoughts exactly! A roach on the other hand gets killed ASAP. Filthy creeps...

steven009

quality posts: 2 Private Messages steven009

Doesn't happen too often, but I usually ignore it until my wife sees it. At that point she usually makes a sound that causes me to think our toddler needs to be rushed to the hospital or something. Once I finally get the information out of her that she saw a bug, I grab her dyson (that I got from woot!) and use the nice long extension to reach up high and suck up the spider. Technically, I'm not even sure if I kill it... it may be alive and well inside the dirt canister until my wife unknowingly releases it into the garbage can with a simple press of the button.

Woot, feel free to use this story the next time you have these dysons on sale! ;-P

I don't worry too much about other pests because our apartment complex does a pretty good job at keeping all the other bugs out too.

brumagem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brumagem

I only bother to catch/kill the ones in the bedroom because I can't stand the idea of it crawling on m--OH GOD

freakna

quality posts: 3 Private Messages freakna

If it's in the house it will die. If it's out in the yard (where it should be) it can go about it's happy little life.

dnlkolender

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dnlkolender

I chose #3, but that was a bit of a lie!!! Honestly, I just let them live with me; they don't bother me one tiny iota. But if its a big one, then I put it on my balcony (or my gf might die of fright!!!).

But know your local spiders!!! In my parts we have Black Widows & Brown Recluse which can be deadly. No remorse for them, lol.

dnlkolender

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dnlkolender
aehelephant wrote:If it's just a house spider (little and staying in the corner) I let it be, unless it's turned into a giant house spider, then it's dead, or I might try to take it outside. If it's any other type of spider in the house, I tend to kill it, unless I'm in a magnanimous mood. I adore spiders in the wild, unless they're the deadly/dangerously poisonous type. Orb weavers are the ones I adore the the most. ^_^

Awwww... that's so sweet!! I'm gonna look up those lil weavers!

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

Catch and release all (I haven't been able to really tell the biters from the non-biters). Then I tease my husband and son for being such babies about spiders...

Skiim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Skiim

If they are web weavers they eat bugs, they can stay. If they don't, they are useless to me, and they will parish.

Skiimed the surface