WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Wallace 45pc Flatware Set - 2 Patterns

Speed to First Woot:
20m 1.331s
First Sucker:
johnjjrm
Last Wooter to Woot:
ccesl
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 41% of Home Woots
Bottom 43% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 16% of Home Woots
Top 37% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 12% first woot
  • 3% second woot
  • 30% < 10 woots
  • 28% < 25 woots
  • 27% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 9% joined today
  • 2% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 17% one year old
  • 71% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 88% bought 1
  • 11% bought 2
  • 1% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

3%
4%
2%
1%
3%
1%
5%
7%
7%
8%
8%
5%
2%
4%
5%
7%
4%
6%
4%
2%
3%
4%
3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


mantikos


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mantikos

Brand any good?

rtovar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rtovar
mantikos wrote:Brand any good?



No clue...I wonder if they are made in China too. If made any place other than USA or Japan? no good.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mantikos wrote:Brand any good?


I don't have specifics on the brand quality but the company has been around since the 1800s and their flatware is carried in all the major stores.

Wallace Site


To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

VibeGuy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages VibeGuy

Wallace is dead reliable. Their sterling patterns are some of the classics - lots of sorority girls dream of a service for 12 in Grande Baroque.

What's weird to me is that I'm pretty sure Continental Classic isn't 18/10 but rather 18/0, meaning it's more scratch-prone than 18/10 alloys. I'll take a pass.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

VibeGuy wrote:Wallace is dead reliable. Their sterling patterns are some of the classics - lots of sorority girls dream of a service for 12 in Grande Baroque.

What's weird to me is that I'm pretty sure Continental Classic isn't 18/10 but rather 18/0, meaning it's more scratch-prone than 18/10 alloys. I'll take a pass.



Nope, these are 18/10. You can look around for this set elsewhere and it will say 18/10. (Overstock's page is screwed up as it says both. Other say 18/10.)


To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

VibeGuy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages VibeGuy
ThunderThighs wrote:Nope, these are 18/10. You can look around for this set elsewhere and it will say 18/10. (Overstock's page is screwed up as it says both. Other say 18/10.)



Three pretty reasonable etailers that I've bought from for years have some confusion on this:

http://www.silversuperstore.com/wallace/stainless_steel_flatware/continental_classic_silverware.html says 18/0 as does:

http://www.amazon.com/Wallace-Classic-78-Piece-Flatware-Service/dp/B004C459E2

And
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/WASCOCL.htm has it as 18/10, 18/8 and 18/0

It's entirely possible that when they moved production to China, they reformulated the alloy - Reed and Barton (part of the same company, Lifetime Brands) has pulled this stunt.


mm20


quality posts: 35 Private Messages mm20

I can't speak for anyone else, but when it comes to pots, pans, knives, and silverware, I have to hold it in my hand before I decide to buy. I'm really, really picky about weight distribution. They have to feel "right" in my hands.

Please don't interpret this as making a judgment call on this set- I don't own it and I've never held it. Perhaps someone else as picky as I who also owns them can chime in.

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

VibeGuy wrote:Three pretty reasonable etailers that I've bought from for years have some confusion on this:

http://www.silversuperstore.com/wallace/stainless_steel_flatware/continental_classic_silverware.html says 18/0 as does:

http://www.amazon.com/Wallace-Classic-78-Piece-Flatware-Service/dp/B004C459E2

And
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/WASCOCL.htm has it as 18/10, 18/8 and 18/0

It's entirely possible that when they moved production to China, they reformulated the alloy - Reed and Barton (part of the same company, Lifetime Brands) has pulled this stunt.



Look specifically for the 45-piece set:

Macy's

I will email and ask for absolute verification in the morning though to alleviate any concerns.



To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

VibeGuy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages VibeGuy
rtovar wrote:No clue...I wonder if they are made in China too. If made any place other than USA or Japan? no good.



There's precisely one brand of domestic stainless steel flatware now: http://www.sherrillmfg.com/ - that's a former Oneida factory they've bought and restarted. Some of the German brands are also pretty good (even if they're sourcing some of their stuff in Korea, for example).



doomtothee


quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

How's durable are these? Is this meant as a more formal set or is it OK for daily use. With kids around the spoons always seem to end up getting bent...

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

Starry Knight


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Starry Knight
ThunderThighs wrote:Look specifically for the 45-piece set:

Macy's

I will email and ask for absolute verification in the morning though to alleviate any concerns.



Notice that the one review on Macy's site is complaining that they are 18/0 and are being returned.


[MOD: There are NO reviews on the product link that I posted.]

godzella


quality posts: 2 Private Messages godzella
mm20 wrote:I can't speak for anyone else, but when it comes to pots, pans, knives, and silverware, I have to hold it in my hand before I decide to buy. I'm really, really picky about weight distribution. They have to feel "right" in my hands.

Please don't interpret this as making a judgment call on this set- I don't own it and I've never held it. Perhaps someone else as picky as I who also owns them can chime in.



My COusin has these and they are very nice and feel "heavy" I hate the ones that feel like an IHOP-mass produced fancy fast food cholesterol shovel I know sh eis proud of hers and registered for her wedding for them... didn't know they 18/10 - pfffff what an amateur lol JK

kmontrose


quality posts: 27 Private Messages kmontrose

My husband bought a 'deep discounted' set from Macy's (not this one) and it turned out to be 18/0 crap. Only lasted a year before the knives started to get stained and corroded. Also, the spoons couldn't hold up to ice cream (not serving it up - eating it!). Most of the forks have bent tines. Never Again! TT, get your confirmation on this, please!

I have no need of this set, though, because I bought the Ricci set on the last woot-off. So happy with them. Obviously much better quality.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff




Just heard from the buyer. Both sets are sitting on her desk at the office. She confirms that they are 18/10.

She will get a photo of the box when she gets to the office.




To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

fluffyreeves


quality posts: 2 Private Messages fluffyreeves

So Thunder: Where ARE these actually made?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff



We've added a photo of the back of the Classic box showing that it is 18/10. This box is sitting on the buyer's desk.


They are made in China.


To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

vapelloni


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vapelloni
ThunderThighs wrote:I don't have specifics on the brand quality but the company has been around since the 1800s and their flatware is carried in all the major stores.

Wallace Site



Wallace Silversmiths Company used to be in my hometown. My father worked there for 40 years then retired. The founded in the 1800's version of Wallaces no longer exists. As far as I know all US manufacturing was offshored years ago.

graywh


quality posts: 2 Private Messages graywh
Starry Knight wrote:Notice that the one review on Macy's site is complaining that they are 18/0 and are being returned.


[MOD: There are NO reviews on the product link that I posted.]



to MOD (ThunderThighs): the review was on the other pattern, not the one you linked to.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/wallace-flatware-18-10-continental-hammered-45-piece-set?ID=624529

Can we get the back of the other box?

zanfar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zanfar

Wallace lists the hammered set as 18/10

http://www.lifetimesterling.com/45-Piece-Flatware-Set%2C-18/10/5086468,default,pd.html

No data on their classic product page

http://www.lifetimesterling.com/wallace-continental-classic-gold-accent-65-piece-set-service-12/W1836504,default,pd.html

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

graywh wrote:to MOD (ThunderThighs): the review was on the other pattern, not the one you linked to.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/wallace-flatware-18-10-continental-hammered-45-piece-set?ID=624529

Can we get the back of the other box?



Here you go, straight from the vendor:



Hope that helps.

Also, I just returned from the office and the buyer handed me the box for the Classic set. That was one HEAVY box.


To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

anthgothlz


quality posts: 2 Private Messages anthgothlz
ThunderThighs wrote:Nope, these are 18/10. You can look around for this set elsewhere and it will say 18/10. (Overstock's page is screwed up as it says both. Other say 18/10.)



Was looking at a review on Macys - not good. Said this was a poor collection and it was 18/0. I'm in the market for a set like this, but I might just stroll over to Macy's (they're having a sale) and check them out in person.

Their high rated stuff on Macy's site is going for just a little more than this sale, so I'll pass this time...


reflextuning


quality posts: 0 Private Messages reflextuning

Similar to the Reed and Barton set that I own

http://www.amazon.com/Reed-Barton-Hammered-Antique-Stainless/dp/B0000B2258

Love this finish!

CAsawStud


quality posts: 1 Private Messages CAsawStud

Hey Mod:

Any word on whether the Ricci sets might return? Tried to snag one of those but they went OOS before I could nab one.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
CAsawStud wrote:Hey Mod:

Any word on whether the Ricci sets might return? Tried to snag one of those but they went OOS before I could nab one.



My magic 8-ball cracked and fizzled when I tried to ask, so I'd say "unknown, but stay tuned - popular items occasionally reappear!"

I'm just hanging out, really.

kcengland04


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcengland04

I was going to go with the Reed & Barton Hammered Antique (& was waiting for delivery on iced teaspoons) when this deal popped up. I saved about $300. I'm very happy with the purchase & the R&B iced teaspoons go well with the Wallace.

reflextuning wrote:Similar to the Reed and Barton set that I own

http://www.amazon.com/Reed-Barton-Hammered-Antique-Stainless/dp/B0000B2258

Love this finish!