Staff

Poll: If I see a baby cockroach in a restaurant I:
  • 22.1% - Leave immediately. I don’t want to meet its momma. 288
  • 5.8% - Report it to the health department. 76
  • 28.2% - Shrug it off and finish my meal. 368
  • 41.4% - Tell the manager and get my meal comped. 540
  • 2.5% - Other (comments, please) 33
1305 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

icthulhu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages icthulhu

True story: I was in the original Benihana restaurant in Encino in the early 80's with the cute girl from the adjacent office on our floor -- small cockroach ventured onto the table and quickly scuttled off.

I loudly said, "I wish they'd keep those things in the kitchen, where they belong."

vlegran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vlegran

I would probably tell the manager, but don't have to have my meal comped. Now if there turned out to be more, I wouldn't want to eat there...or pay!

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Eat it for the extra protein.

cloneddoll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cloneddoll

I've never been in that situation, so it's hard to say.

jswizl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jswizl

Squish the damn thing!

d0ct3r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d0ct3r
cloneddoll wrote:I've never been in that situation, so it's hard to say.

Yea, It has never happened to me either.

bootawoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bootawoot

Let everybody in the restaurant know, then submit to mob rule, I mean democracy.

elsupreme

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elsupreme

I have had this happen a few times. I finish my meal, but don't come back for a while.

I mean I find a roach every now and then in my house and yet I still eat there.

digbyamb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages digbyamb

Make sure it gets added to my doggie bag for a later snack!

taz3781

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taz3781

Most roaches have family living in the walls. Most fine restaurants have candles. Probably best to keep it quiet, just take care of it yourself & discretely burn the walls down.

chefstu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chefstu

It depends on the situation but unfortunately roaches are almost everywhere, especially in large city's.
They come into resto's in cardboard boxes, under doors or thru walls and settle in before you even know it.

amccann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amccann

I worked in a restaurant where the sous chef would bisect them when they ran by his chopping board: Good knife skills (those babies are fast) and ultra-sharp knife, but ewwwww

I quit after three ran up inside the sleeve of my jacket while I was working....

stargzr051

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargzr051

When I saw them, I finished my food, didn't say anything to the manager at all, and I haven't been back to that place since. It was those little ones too..

mgodawski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgodawski

I live in the south and have never seen one in a restaurant but that doesn't mean anything...

If I saw a whole roach I wouldn't be too disturbed except that i'd probably scream like a little girl.

Problem would be if i found 1/2 a roach on my fork.

I'd probably projectile vomit.

--its the Shendy principle

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

Having worked at a few restaurants both front of the house and kitchen, some of you people amaze me.

Let me tell you a secret. If you see a roach in the dining area get out while you can. Any dining establishment that has visible vermin in the front of the house is a pit of hell in the kitchen.

jg220022

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jg220022

I probably wouldn't be able to finish my meal... I would just leave.

compunaut

quality posts: 2 Private Messages compunaut

The only eating establishment I've ever seen a live cockroach was a school cafeteria (Note: It WAS by the trash cans. Next to the exit door. Adjacent to the Dumpster)

Moueska

quality posts: 52 Private Messages Moueska

Cause a great big scene to get the meal comped for myself and my acquaintance.

Waiters realize that I brought the itty bitty beast in myself (in my handbag).

Cause a scene with the help of the gentleman I've just met.

Run.

Ruin my dress.

Wear his clothes.

??????????

$PROFIT$

(Julie Andrews FTW)