WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The Perfect Kitchen

Look, there's only one way to the perfect kitchen. First, you must travel to China and train atop the highest mountain with the wisest chef. Then you must go to the Bayou, and live as among the jambalayans as one of their own. Then you need to buy a bunch of crap from Woot. Actually, come to think of it, you can skip the first two.

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

The holidays are a great time to watch your old kitchenware fall apart under the stress of all the extra prep going on. Will you be treating yourself to new kitchen gear? Help us with some reviews!

I'm just hanging out, really.

elemental00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elemental00

no Onion 7-Inch Santoku Knife i am a sad panda

chardonay

quality posts: 29 Private Messages chardonay

is this a 4.5" steak knife or paring knife?

What Contemptible Scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch??

boris1957

quality posts: 3 Private Messages boris1957

I've had the 7pc version of the Cuisinart 14pc Cookware Set for three years and love them. I really think this cookware is the best value out there.

I've used the hell out of the 10in skillet. It all holds up very well. And they handle 500f temp, which is why I bought them in the first place.

Be sure to hand wash- dishwasher detergent is a bit harsh on the non-stick.

criticalmaas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages criticalmaas

I got the 10.75" walnut pepper mill - it's a gift, so no grinding review - but it's a nice, solid-seeming grinder made of pretty wood!

oh, spice tulips, when will you return? I pine for you.

...I'd also be in for a spice weasel d:

onthedl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages onthedl

Why isn't the knife block included in the 3 piece Shun set? The only difference between the sets is the bread/nakiri knife, which both have pretty similar MSRPs.

alextse

quality posts: 24 Private Messages alextse

I've switched from chef's knives to santoku myself. They handle much better and are more precise unless you're carving a huge roast. Just my two cents.

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou

Cast Iron from China? Umm, NO!!

Cast Iron from Tennessee? When, Woot!? (I've got almost everything with a "!" on it, and one with a "i" on it.) I'm always lookin' for more AMERICAN Cast Iron, Woot! (Or, "i".)

steve

skou

alextse wrote:I've switched from chef's knives to santoku myself. They handle much better and are more precise unless you're carving a huge roast. Just my two cents.

I also, like the santoku blades. I've got a zebra set from right here, and, for a REAL CHEAP knife, I'm IMPRESSED. I've got a few from other sources, and they're good. Those cheap ones sharpen up easier than my expensive ones do. If you see the animal print set here, get it! (I've got 3 sets of Giraffe blades for Christmas gifts.)

steve

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

chardonay wrote:is this a 4.5" steak knife or paring knife?

It's a Steak Knife.

NOTE: That link is for the set. We're selling the knives individually.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

stinawargo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages stinawargo

Ok, I'm a bit bemused by the Shun DMS444 Classic 4-Piece Block Set: it's out of stock on regular woot, but still in stock at moofi.woot, and for 1c cheaper.

hayyyhoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hayyyhoe

I have been anxiously awaiting the return of this product so I can share my sentiments. The Lok-n-Lok was the worst purchase I have ever made! They dont nest and there is no consistency in the lids so don't buy unless you have several empty cabinets that need to be filled.

-Hotsauce

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

Other than the look - what is the difference between the Shun Classic and the Shun Ken Onion line? Any quality difference one should be aware of?

ledastray

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ledastray
andreaserben wrote:Other than the look - what is the difference between the Shun Classic and the Shun Ken Onion line? Any quality difference one should be aware of?

Original Ken Onion & the Classic line differed in the handle shape. Ken Onion designed an "ergonomic" handle to fit all hand sizes. In practice it seems to be a love / hate thing. The Classic is a more traditional Japanese handle shape. Some like it more than others, but I've not seen the really strong reactions (either way.)

Since that first Ken Onion special edition came out they've made Ken Onion Elite, with the Elite line steel, and maybe others. These Ken Onion knives all seem to be VG-10 steel like the classic line.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

Just a heads-up got the $200 set delivered
http://home.woot.com/offers/shun-classic-3-piece-set-1
it came as VG-MAX which according to Shun is a step up from VG-10.

egkg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages egkg

What is Woots return policies?

cf

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cf

Woot's return policy, basically, is no returns.

egkg wrote:What is Woots return policies?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

cf wrote:Woot's return policy, basically, is no returns.

per the Woot FAQ page:

How do I return a defective product?
Unless we specifically tell you not to, call the manufacturer of the product you bought. You will likely get a replacement of a new model or better item from them. If we still haven't dissuaded you, report your issue through our Support page. It'll go a lot easier if you have the order number, the name of the product you are returning, and a detailed explanation of the problem. We will respond with return authorization by the next business day. Because we aren't likely to have a replacement in stock, you should be prepared for a refund-only option if that's all we can do. Know that return freight will be at your expense. Again, you will probably get a better deal from the manufacturer, or whoever else handling member service for that product.

Sincerely,
Forum Moderator

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
skou wrote:Cast Iron from China? Umm, NO!!

Cast Iron from Tennessee? When, Woot!? (I've got almost everything with a "!" on it, and one with a "i" on it.) I'm always lookin' for more AMERICAN Cast Iron, Woot! (Or, "i".)

steve

Hate to burst your bubble, but Lodge enameled cast iron is made in China, too.

njkatz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages njkatz
craigthom wrote:Hate to burst your bubble, but Lodge enameled cast iron is made in China, too.

That's disappointing to learn. It keeps getting harder to buy any cookware made in the U.S. unless you can afford All-Clad.

Nick

jeremyp123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeremyp123

Nothing but love for the Lock & Locks... I've had a set from Woot! for over a year now and they're still one of the best kitchen purchases I've made.

They're 100% air and water tight and survive a 4-5 foot fall from the fridge even if they're stuffed full of soup. They're definitely freezer/microwave/dishwasher safe too.

I can say they're certainly much better than anything you buy at that price in a Target or Walmart (since I've bought and destroyed almost all of the other brands available.)

The containers nest/stack nicely... the lids, not so much. However, with the set that I got there are only two lid choices for 8 different container sizes which makes everything easier.

meanjoeira

quality posts: 4 Private Messages meanjoeira

$129.00 for a mortar and pestle? Wow.

josidhe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages josidhe

Avoid the Capresso. Even if the handles aren't breaking off like they were six years ago, there are dozens of better options out there.

skou

craigthom wrote:Hate to burst your bubble, but Lodge enameled cast iron is made in China, too.

Which is why I don't have any.

All of my lodge is non-stick, and that non-stick was made by me. (Rust proof, too.)

steve

akivaj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akivaj

It would be interesting to see an interior view of the mortar and a bottom view of the pestle in the Curtis Stone CS06SS "Bump & Grind" Stainless Steel Mortar & Pestle.

-Super Crochety.

zzaromom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zzaromom

When I purchased Joseph Joseph Elevate Carousel Set with Bonus 3pc Spatula Set here 1 month ago, it was $39.99.

lakelady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lakelady

I love Lock and Lock. This set does not nest but getting rid of assorted Cool Whip and deli meat containers will free up the needed space to stack them. And, these are so useful there won't be many empties to store.

They keep food fresh in the fridge and cabinets, freeze, microwave, and wash in the dishwasher with no problem, travel to school, work, campground or hiking trail with no spillage. They can organize pieces and parts in the tool aisle and the craft room, and keep small toy pieces together.

Buy these. You won't be sorry.

nonperdeventura

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nonperdeventura

freakin' A. First time I used the Core bamboo cutting board, it split right down the middle. *fail*

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

nonperdeventura wrote:freakin' A. First time I used the Core bamboo cutting board, it split right down the middle. *fail*

i see that you posted in the other thread as well. did you know that you have a 90-day warranty through Core Bamboo? have you contacted them about getting this situation resolved?
doesn't have to be a "fail." you just have to reach out to somebody who can make it right.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.