lichme

quality posts: 2738 Private Messages lichme

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ATTENTION!!!

Note that if you want it in time for Christmas, you must choose

TWO-DAY SHIPPING

NOTE: Expedited shipping is not available to all areas or at all times. Our order system checks immediately with your closest FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) warehouse to see if they can pull & ship the order in time to meet the 2-day shipping promise. The first deadline is in just a few hours.

You might try later in the day - after about 11am to noon Central. That's after the first deadline and they have 24-hour before the next deadline. It bumps delivery out a day but it will still be two days.

No promises but it's worth a try.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

The blurb reads "serrated edges", but the photos look like straight edges. Which is it? I never bought a Ginsu because of the low-rent serrations and the 420 steel, but if only half of that's inlay, at $5/knife this could be okay.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

tesla33

quality posts: 57 Private Messages tesla33

Where (what country) are these made? And please don't answer unless you know. Too much is made in China, but not "everything."

ThunderThighs

Staff

ckeilah wrote:The blurb reads "serrated edges", but the photos look like straight edges. Which is it? I never bought a Ginsu because of the low-rent serrations and the 420 steel, but if only half of that's inlay, at $5/knife this could be okay.

Checked and it's not serrated. The features will be updated in just a moment. Thanks for catching that.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

onic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages onic

Some people think that steak knives need to be serrated. I am here to tell you that straight edge knives will need to be resharpened more often because they will become dull on use with plates, but ultimately will last longer and cut a steak like butter.

onic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages onic

Unless you really want some multicolored tomfoolery I suggest the Black equivalents for only around $8 more on amazon.

drumelloboe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drumelloboe

I bought the block about a month-ish ago that had these in it.

They are made in China. The headquarters for the company is in Walnut Ridge, AR.

They are also the sharpest dang things I've ever seen. Rinse off right after use, and dry immediately (from what I've read). Not dishwasher safe.

Seriously awesome knives though. We got them as a cheap alternative until we (hopefully) get a Henckel set from our registry... and the other day, we said that honestly, we'd be fine with keeping these knives around for a long time. The bright colors are fun, too.

drumelloboe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drumelloboe

China, according to the paper that came with my block that included these knives. They're really great knives though.

tesla33 wrote:Where (what country) are these made? And please don't answer unless you know. Too much is made in China, but not "everything."

wootmeharder

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootmeharder

Perfect, I have been looking for something to cut through all of my aluminum cans, according to the commercials this is exactly what I need!!!

tesla33

Thanks for the country of origin responses. I think I'll wait.

n8lightfoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages n8lightfoot

Um...those are $28...not $8

onic wrote:Unless you really want some multicolored tomfoolery I suggest the Black equivalents for only around $8 more on amazon.

tesla33

n8lightfoot wrote:Um...those are $28...not $8

28 - 20 = 8. Note the "more."

rtfirefly

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rtfirefly

We got one of those ~14-piece bargain-price Ginsu knife sets a year or two back. We use the steak knives A LOT for the usual cooking prep as well as cutting meat. They have a nice feel to them when you're using them, and are wondrously sharp, even after heavy use. If we needed more steak knives, I'd be in for a couple of sets of these.

lroller

quality posts: 14 Private Messages lroller

Can these be used on things other than steak? I know we already have aluminum cans covered.

ThunderThighs

Staff

lroller wrote:Can these be used on things other than steak? I know we already have aluminum cans covered.

I guess someone could try a reinactment of this Real Actual Field Test.

NOTE: Woot assumes no responsibility for the lost of Woot monkey, screaming of Woot monkey, or parts of your body should you try this. We recommend cut resistant gloves (not included).

lroller

quality posts: 14 Private Messages lroller
ThunderThighs wrote:I guess someone could try a reinactment of this Real Actual Field Test.

NOTE: Woot assumes no responsibility for the lost of Woot monkey, screaming of Woot monkey, or parts of your body should you try this. We recommend cut resistant gloves (not included).

tt..my screaming monkeys are all in hiding.

jrpigman

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jrpigman

jerseyrick

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jerseyrick

Bought these last time they were offered. Straight edge, sharp, nice set for $20. You will however, need to dry them immed after you wash them or the handles get pretty cruddy. After a couple of times of using them and just throwing them in the sink the handles on mine got pitted and developed white spots. That reminds me these handles look great in the photos, I remember opening my set and thinking oh they looked better/higher quality in the picture than they do in my hand. The blade is good tho and thats ok with me if you want the cosmetic aspect pass on these even at only $20.

dfunkmaster

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dfunkmaster
onic wrote:Unless you really want some multicolored tomfoolery I suggest the Black equivalents for only around $8 more on amazon.

Good call. Just got them for 28.38 shipped. (With Prime)

Thanks!

rootatlocalhost

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rootatlocalhost
tesla33 wrote:28 - 20 = 8. Note the "more."

Mmm? 28.37 - (20 + 5) = not 8. Always factor in shipping.

ThunderThighs

Staff

colinchout

quality posts: 2 Private Messages colinchout

Saw same set over Macy's for $49.99.
Good deal here.
I just don't know if the knives would stay sharp in long term.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
onic wrote:Some people think that steak knives need to be serrated.

And I'm among them. I have a set of fairly nice non-serrated steak knives but have found they aren't worth the trouble. I ignore them and just use the inexpensive serrated ones that I can simply use, toss in the dishwasher, use again, and after maybe 50-100 cycles of that, throw them out and get more cheap serrated ones. No need to treat them carefully, ever sharpen at all, etc, and they still cut well.
For actual cutlery I'm willing to pay more, wash by hand, hone and occasionally sharpen, etc, but serrated is exactly what I want from everyday table knives. One less thing to worry about.

lbdamned

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lbdamned

I don't know about "equivalent" but those aren't the "same"... these are the same ($42): http://www.amazon.com/Ginsu-Sofuto-Japanese-Stainless-4-Piece/dp/B005OC47SA

Lucy78

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Lucy78

That is hysterical!!
Hope you don't mind that I pilfered your "math question" image and put it on my FB page....still laughing!

m4ry4nn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages m4ry4nn

I have one remaining Ginsu steak knife from the 60s and I still use it for tomatoes.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll

Crocodile Dundee first said it and said it best, "that's not a knife".
Pass

scosenza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scosenza

No, like all GOOD knives, they will need to be resharpened.

colinchout wrote:Saw same set over Macy's for $49.99.
Good deal here.
I just don't know if the knives would stay sharp in long term.

Super Bon Bon!