quality posts: 2 Private Messages daconkli2003

I've heard this thing really blows.

-Sparky the SKUM

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

Not a fan of this item.

runner0382

quality posts: 1 Private Messages runner0382

I heard people are really disappointed with this product. Really, it sucks?!

Rather than creating a useful product, Mr. Dyson sure was shooting the breeze when he conceived of this one.

People say it's easy to unwind with one.

It's Drew Brees' favourite.

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

The high price is for the novelty rather than functionality. Not nearly as effective as bladed fans costing $20

cbetka13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbetka13

ROFLOL
Between the hilarious writing from the Staff guys and all of you members - Woot ought to charge admission solely for the entertainment value of this site !!!

CptCrunch114

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CptCrunch114

I'm blown away by this deal.

jha1223

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jha1223

I checked one of these out at a store this year (or was it last year)... They are pretty neat I guess. Lots of volume with no blades. But, I have to ask, what are the parents doing when the suspect child is putting their digits in a traditional box fan? I always considered the old style a "survival of the fittest" kind of thing.

drunkenalien

quality posts: 46 Private Messages drunkenalien
jha1223 wrote:I checked one of these out at a store this year (or was it last year)... They are pretty neat I guess. Lots of volume with no blades. But, I have to ask, what are the parents doing when the suspect child is putting their digits in a traditional box fan? I always considered the old style a "survival of the fittest" kind of thing.

Its just another item our modern world is doing to keep the snowmans alive. Why do you think the world is ending. Natural selection is slowly being engineered away. We are now overpopulated with them.

jonathan119

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonathan119

Is it 120V or 220V?

pupyluvr

quality posts: 48 Private Messages pupyluvr
daconkli2003 wrote:I've heard this thing really blows.

I've heard rumors on the internet that Dyson is going to follow up on the Bladeless Fan concept by introducing a Vacuum that doesn't Suck!

daconkli2003

quality posts: 2 Private Messages daconkli2003
dliidlii wrote:Not a fan of this item.

I don't get it.

-Sparky the SKUM

khammo01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages khammo01

I bought one of these the last time they were offered. Not sure if I have a bad model, but mine is not very quiet. My boss has a larger model and says he can hardly hear it. Caveat emptor.

blackest

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blackest

Can someone tell me if this falls under the Korean fan death myth or if it's okay because of the lack of blades?

pupyluvr

quality posts: 48 Private Messages pupyluvr
khammo01 wrote:I bought one of these the last time they were offered. Not sure if I have a bad model, but mine is not very quiet. My boss has a larger model and says he can hardly hear it. Caveat emptor.

Maybe his hearing is really bad... Does he have Bose Speakers?

sltowoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sltowoot
pupyluvr wrote:I've heard rumors on the internet that Dyson is going to follow up on the Bladeless Fan concept by introducing a Vacuum that doesn't Suck!

That's why Dyson vacuums never lose suction: they never had any to begin with

shdwsng

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shdwsng

I got one of these for my wife two or three years ago because the old fan was too noisy for her to sleep and she likes the moving air.

It's a little quieter than a normal fan on full, but you can turn the air down just a bit and it gets a lot softer. And it's been run at LEAST eight hours a night for two years straight, and hasn't had a single hiccup. Only thing I have to do is dust it every now and then. This is the right price point for these fans, so if you want reliable then go for it.

ShorelineSeahorse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShorelineSeahorse

so $100 for refurbished s good?

bparker1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bparker1
ShorelineSeahorse wrote:so $100 for refurbished s good?

It seems to be a good price for a refurbished Dyson one (200++ seems typical for a new one). But you can get other brand names and other bladeless fans for 100 or a lot less for a new one.

If you want a bit more variety, on google shopping there's one that's USB powered, heart shaped, and with aromatherapy. (http://www.ximpicube.com/usb-mini-bladeless-fan-with-led-lights-and-aromatherapy.html)

thailar

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thailar

I bought this fan about 4 or 5 months ago when here on woot despite all the negative warnings people had about the loudness and lack of power. I would like to give a quick and honest opinion to anyone looking to buy it this time around. The fan is a bit noisier than you would imagine, given it's "blameless" design, although it is really not that loud and it's a pretty peaceful hum, not nearly as bothersome as what I had been reading from reviews. As far as airflow, it works really great for my room. It's not going to keep things frigid on a really hot day, but for a 10" fan it works great. I was really nervous about buyer's remorse when I bought it, given it's ridiculous price, but I have to say that I really love this fan. If you don't care about aesthetics or the whole coolness factor, then obviously this fan won't be worth the price, but if you are tempted to buy this but are worried about noise complaints or power then I would recommend.

falken

quality posts: 1 Private Messages falken

Are there more powerful fans for this price? Yes. Are there more quiet fans for this price? Yes.

Are there cooler or more fun fans to have sitting on your desk? No.

I have this exact fan I purchased from woot in my home office and another larger version in my bedroom and could not be happier with either of them.

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa

It has blades in the base. Another Dyson product which attempts to improve a well evolved design and charge three times the price. Has anyone ever felt buffeted by a fan? And this 15X air multiplier claim has got to be a lie.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 27 Private Messages jmbunkin

If this is bladeless,what did they have to refurb?

nbs432

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbs432
jmbunkin wrote:If this is bladeless,what did they have to refurb?

Like Whitcwa said, there are blades and a motor hidden in the base, and thus is still susceptible to mechanical failures. The design works and is very cool, but when it says bladeless, it really means no exposed blades.

I like the traditional fans better though, you can talk into them and sound like a robot.

xninjagrrl

quality posts: 7 Private Messages xninjagrrl

It seems like the most common complaint about these fans is the noise it puts out. Can any comment on this? I have been thinking about getting my parents one of these Dysons the next time Woot had them but I dont think their dog would appreciate a high pitch noise while he's trying to sleep, or my parents.

Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.

Douginaz

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Douginaz
xninjagrrl wrote:It seems like the most common complaint about these fans is the noise it puts out. Can any comment on this? I have been thinking about getting my parents one of these Dysons the next time Woot had them but I dont think their dog would appreciate a high pitch noise while he's trying to sleep, or my parents.

We bought one of these and one of the tall floor models with the elongated opening. At it lowest speed setting, the round fan is more noisy than the tall one. The noise is mostly that caused by moving air, not mechanical noise generated by the motor, and it isn't a high-pitched noise. Any fan that moves air makes noise. At the higher speeds, it is comparable to a conventional fan.
At its lowest speed it is a gentle breeze at a tolerable noise level. When you need a lot of air, be prepared for some noise. If you want a gentle breeze with no noise, get a quality ceiling fan. It's our choice for the bedroom.
We use these fans a lot during the summer, and we really appreciate the remote control of the floor models. We wish our 10" fan had a remote control also.

gak0090

quality posts: 71 Private Messages gak0090

Amazing concept- just like their vacuum cleaners. Who would have guessed putting the fan in the base would cost about $100?

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2009/10/13/dyson-bladeless-fan-300-marketing-gimmick-for-suckers.php

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5

Do people really pay the ridiculous asking price? These are no better than a fan costing 1/5 the price. They look kinda neat, but you will pay a lot for that. There is no magic going on in there. The fan and motor are in the base. All the dust and gunk you see on other fans is not in the base where you cannot clean it as easily as other fans.

ChillerK

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ChillerK

Perfect for tabletop mini-Quiddich matches.

scarpozzi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scarpozzi
gak0090 wrote:Amazing concept- just like their vacuum cleaners. Who would have guessed putting the fan in the base would cost about $100?

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2009/10/13/dyson-bladeless-fan-300-marketing-gimmick-for-suckers.php

....and I'm pretty sure the fan in the base actually has blades. Just for that, they should be banned from selling them without changing the wording in their marketing.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

This fan is no air multiplier. See all those holes around the base of the fan? Those are the air inlets for the blower which they've thoughtfully hidden in the base. You can't get something for nothing - and that includes air.

Compared with a clip-on 6" fan, this fan is a waste of both money and space. That little clip-on costs $20 and moves 190 cubic feet per minute. The Dyson moves 40 cubic feet per minute (or as Dyson specifies: 5 gallons per second). Comparably sized tabletop fans move over a thousand cubic feet per minute.

Don't be fooled by the store displays. Those streamers are placed around the edge for a reason - that's the only place where the air is moving! Stand a few feet away from this fan and you will literally feel nothing.

Meanwhile, it's loud. That little 6" fan produces 37 decibels of sound. The Dyson is closer to 50. That's more than twice as loud (decibels are a log scale, every 10 is a doubling).

It's intriguing that some are so taken with this fan. It would have some benefits. It won't muss your hair, and it's unlikely to ruffle your papers. But let's be real - this is a fan, not a vase of flowers.

Buy this fan only if you prioritize owning a statement piece over owning a functioning fan.

baboval

quality posts: 3 Private Messages baboval

You could get a really over-built fan that will last your grandchildren the rest of their lives for $60 like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-90400-12-Inch-Portable-Brushed/dp/B0017ZARPK

Or you can get this refurbished Dyson fan and have it be re-sold here on Woot in 6 months after it gets refurbished again.

hughn

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hughn

We purchased the pedestal (floor) model from Woot a few years back and we love it!
No more hard to clean dust clinging to the ugly blades of traditional fans. Just wipe the inside of round fan and it's clean.

We presently do not have a need for this model, otherwise I would purchase it.

I have been hoping for Woot to offer us the Hot/Cool model at a reasonable price.

paulbsa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages paulbsa
scarpozzi wrote:....and I'm pretty sure the fan in the base actually has blades. Just for that, they should be banned from selling them without changing the wording in their marketing.

They get away with it because they use an "impeller" in the base instead of traditional "blades." Same thing, but the semantics is enough to push the marketing. It's just a ducted fan, big deal.

lroller

quality posts: 13 Private Messages lroller

I like the Vornado fans I wooted for a few weeks ago. Simple, lightweight, inexpensive and they work.

vdegas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vdegas

The only reason it's considered an air multiplier is because it has a very narrow focused air flow. For the price you're better off getting a Air King blower fan from amazon. It's not as pretty but will move 10x the amount of air for only $50.

DameEdithDivine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DameEdithDivine

Dude, it has a fan, trust me.

TheFlatline

quality posts: 9 Private Messages TheFlatline
paulbsa wrote:They get away with it because they use an "impeller" in the base instead of traditional "blades." Same thing, but the semantics is enough to push the marketing. It's just a ducted fan, big deal.

Well in theory it's an air multiplier. The fan operates on the basic idea of the Venturi effect. The fans in the base push air out the hoop, (getting an even airflow out of the hoop seems to be the biggest trick this sucker has to it) and the moving air causes low pressure in front of the hoop. That moves air in through the center of the hoop to equalize pressure, and in doing so, causes air flow.

The technology behind it is perfectly valid and established it's just... not needed. And the fan spits out so little air that the suction created by the venturi effect is pretty minor.

Maybe it's because I'm in IT and work in server rooms where it sounds like a tornado at any moment, but I can't imagine the delicate and unique snowflake that couldn't stand the sound of a box fan on low on the other side of the room at night.

Personally, I stick with Vornado fans. A 60 dollar fan on low aimed into the corner of my bedroom fills the entire room with a gentle breeze.

techkyle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages techkyle

For those of you considering purchasing this purely for entertainment and not for actual need of a fan, Dyson has already made a video to satisfy all of our childish desires.

Yes, I just saved you thousands of dollars. You're welcome.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley
TheFlatline wrote:Well in theory it's an air multiplier. The fan operates on the basic idea of the Venturi effect. The fans in the base push air out the hoop, (getting an even airflow out of the hoop seems to be the biggest trick this sucker has to it) and the moving air causes low pressure in front of the hoop. That moves air in through the center of the hoop to equalize pressure, and in doing so, causes air flow.

Um, sure, but very little air actually comes out the "center". If you wave your hand around the output side of one of these things, you quickly find that the vast majority of the airflow is right around that opening in the ring, there's a little bit to the side, and in the center there's basically nothing.

In fact, from an airflow efficiency perspective, this fan is a TERRIBLE design. That there is so much noise attests to the massive backpressure in the design as air is forced through a ridiculously narrow plenum and pulled from a similarly ridiculously small set of inlet holes.