2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

loudxmouse

quality posts: 1 Private Messages loudxmouse

I own this kettle and I love it!
Great for boiling water for coffee and tea with no ugly gunk hiding in the nooks a crannies to mess up your brew.

jon98gn

quality posts: 21 Private Messages jon98gn

Hmm... Swore I just saw this at CostPlus World Market today for $50.00. Totally want this, but my bank account says no.

And when I say bank account. I actually mean "wife".

lintile

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lintile

Be careful if you have unfiltered water, because the heating element will gather all sorts of minerals. I pass my water through a Brita before boiling it in this kettle.

12thgear

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 12thgear

I had one. It's gorgeous and very fast, but I could never get rid of the nasty odor and off flavor due to the plastics used in the construction (I believe it came from the lid). It's a shame because it's a fatal flaw in my book. I don't know if they ever revised the materials.

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808

Lots of pictures and some comments

Looks like the 'zon offers it for about $55. So not really that much savings.

I have the Breville Perfect Tea Maker and love it.

Jay481985

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jay481985
lintile wrote:Be careful if you have unfiltered water, because the heating element will gather all sorts of minerals. I pass my water through a Brita before boiling it in this kettle.

Brita Filters do nothing for minerals in the water.

sp0rkme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sp0rkme

It's available on Amazon for $58 (link). I reaaaaally want this but Chrimma has broke me!

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Waitwaitwait.

Did the odd couple just go all Cole Porter / Gene Kelly + Fred Astaire Bromance on me?

'Cause I'm cool with it.

;)

Just sayin'.

jha1223

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jha1223

I have a water kettle on my Christmas list but I am really hoping I get one with an adjustable temperature control. Different teas need different temps to really bring out their subtle notes.

I don't consider this to be a de facto guide, but this illustrates my point.

http://coffeetea.about.com/od/teaandtisanebasics/a/TeaBrewingTemperatures.htm

Magentian

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Magentian

I'm confused as to why the list price is so expensive when you can go out and buy something that does exactly the same thing for 10 bucks at Rite-Aid. If I'm paying 50 to 100$ for an electric kettle I would at least expect to be able to fiddle with the temperature settings. What is the extra money going toward? The fact that it's glass and thus breakable? I don't get it.

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

Wow. Over 200 1 and 2 star reviews versus over 300 4 and 5 star reviews. That ratio should be much greater so I'll pass.

arctickiwi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages arctickiwi

Got this as a gift for my Freshman year at college (3 years ago) and has held up well since. I've only used it mildly for things like boiling water for Ramen, Cocoa and Coffee. If you read reviews online you'll note the mentioning of a weird odor and sometimes an odd taste with the water and I can confirm those claims. Recently, mine began to deteriorate and somehow rust. The grooves between the metal bubble in the middle and the glass are impossible to clean well. The glass is quite thick, but the handle feels really cheap, especially the "on" switch.

Recently, I've been getting into preparing Tea and it just was time for a replacement. I found the Adagio UtiliTEA electric Kettle to be a far stronger performer than the Capresso in the short time I've had it. It is competitively priced and is frequently the top 5 in many surveyed lists of reviews for electric kettles. (I'm thorough in my own purchases). I got it from Amazon http://amzn.com/B001A5NFQA

The UtiliTEA excels past the Capresso by featuring a stainless steel build with no odd grooves, a spring loaded cover that clicks shut, adjustable temperature controls, 360 swivel detached base w/plug, a more out of the way on switch and a mesh screen near the pour if you decide to steep the Tea directly in the device (which I don't really recommend).

My comparison:
Capresso:
Pros: Fancy glass aesthetic, quicker boil time, larger liquid capacity

Cons: hard to clean thoroughly, touchy on switch, cheap handle, odor & taste funky at times, kind of bulky comparatively, boiling anything besides water will make the metal instantly turn brown and will need to be intensely scrubbed

UtiliTEA:
Pros: Slim size, mesh filter screen, cover lock, better switch location, temperature control, easy to clean, no odd taste or smell, quick boil time

Cons: Smaller liquid capacity ~1 Quart, the completed "click" can go unnoticed if you forget about it, water viewing window is a bit slim and can be hard to read when it fogs up (oddly located behind the handle)

pomo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pomo

Another design defect: the metal heater bubble has to be fully immersed in order to boil the water. Otherwise it shuts off too early. If you want just one cup, you waste the energy taken to boil two more.

The all stainless model I had before this one was both easier to clean and far more efficient.

Looks real nice though.

eforte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eforte

The price in the email is $42.99 and the price on the website is $47.99, but still claims to be 57% of the $100 list price. Ooops.

neveraging

quality posts: 3 Private Messages neveraging

so it is both fast and beautiful, my in-law have one. But while we were there, it just stopped working. Don't know how long they had it, but still an unexplained working fine to complete zero overnight gives me no desire of ownership

GH

ugrasse2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ugrasse2

I love how this looks, but the negative reviews will not have me replacing my two-year-old Aroma X-Press. The thing was $20 at Wally World and still runs $31 shipped at Woot's ugly step-mom. I use it for tea, chai and oatmeal. Initially, I found I had to clean it after a couple of uses, due to the softened water I used. I simply switched to distilled water and haven't looked back.

sacjeanie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sacjeanie

I've had another brand of water kettle (from the big box store) and I use it every day at home. I threw out my coffee maker, and just use the Melitta single coffee filter. Best cup of coffee ever and so much more affordable than those k-cups. I've never had a smell problem with my water kettle, but I always keep water in it and even when I've just filled it up and won't use it to the next day, I put it through a boiling cycle. http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Single-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356191023&sr=8-1&keywords=single+cup+coffee+filter

JoeMarfice

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JoeMarfice

I'm tempted, because it looks cool /now/, but water deposits will quickly mean it either looks grungy, or I'll have to scrub it frequently.

For the same reason that I now use dark-interior coffee cups at work, I'll stick to an opaque tea kettle.

sspaeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sspaeth

I had this one for awhile, the taste of the plastic never went away, perfer the metal variety

dianedbullock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dianedbullock

I love it!!! I received the Capresso 1.5 quart glass water kettle as a birthday gift about 4 years ago. I use it regularly for tea, coffee, anything that requires boiling water including pasta, rice. My stove can not boil a quart of water in 90 seconds, but the Capresso can. It is one of the most useful gifts I have ever received.

vegangrl724

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vegangrl724

Just go buy one at Bed Bath and Beyond. They are 59.99 but if you use a 20% coupon its 47.99 and you wont have to pay for shipping and wait forever. Plus, if it ever craps out or you don't like it, they will gladly return it for you. Just a thought. I see no where that sells this thing for 99.99 like it says. So this Woot is really not that great of a deal.

wolf262

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolf262
eforte wrote:The price in the email is $42.99 and the price on the website is $47.99, but still claims to be 57% of the $100 list price. Ooops.

I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed the $5 increase in price after clicking on the email!

rhinoceros1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rhinoceros1

The Tuesday Morning store in my area has this for $39.99

wbu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wbu
rhinoceros1 wrote:The Tuesday Morning store in my area has this for $39.99

Same here. And, I can confirm that nasty industrial chemical smell. I boiled a chlorine bleach solution in mine for several cycles and then vinegar for several more. Then left that in the unit overnight.

The problem was better after all that - also leave the excess water in between uses and dump, then refill before next boil. I only use RO water in mine with about 12ppm dissolved content. During the smelly phase, freshly boiled water was up to 67ppm TDS. I wonder what nasties were added!

The smell was totally gone after about 40-50 uses, but I did a lot of those "cleaning cycles".

Have had it for about 3 years now with no signs of build-up, though the finish on plastic lid is beginning to deteriorate due to heat/steam.

1landshark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 1landshark

They are great until they stop boiling water and they do stop - unreliable item!! Have had 2 and no more

patbrit7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patbrit7
12thgear wrote:I had one. It's gorgeous and very fast, but I could never get rid of the nasty odor and off flavor due to the plastics used in the construction (I believe it came from the lid). It's a shame because it's a fatal flaw in my book. I don't know if they ever revised the materials.

I agree - I've had mine a while - got it free with some points, and the odor is still there. Don't notice a bad taste though.

biodello

quality posts: 1 Private Messages biodello

Is the dome Stainless Steel or chrome plated plastic as in the images seen in Amazon?

Specifically, this one after use for a year:

michael2255

quality posts: 5 Private Messages michael2255

The emperor wears no clothes.

greycroft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greycroft
dliidlii wrote:Wow. Over 200 1 and 2 star reviews versus over 300 4 and 5 star reviews. That ratio should be much greater so I'll pass.

It's a lovely kettle, fast to the boil and good looking too – makes great tea. I have had 4 so far! They fail after a couple of years. With my first one the lid broke off, the second the handle became detached, and with the third the switch stopped working and the silver peeled off the lid. So far, with the fourth, the little blue light cover has popped off but I stuck it back on with a little super glue.
I usually call the company in NJ because they offer a replacement service for $35 after the warranty runs out.

greycroft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greycroft
biodello wrote:Is the dome Stainless Steel or chrome plated plastic as in the images seen in Amazon?

Specifically, this one after use for a year:

It's chrome-plated plastic and it evntually flakes-off.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
michael2255 wrote:The emperor wears no clothes.

Wait, we have royalty amongst us?

/looks for the nekkid parade