WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Robotic Floor Care

Actively vacuuming? Moving around, doing stuff? That ... doesn't seem nearly as lazy as everything else I do. If only there was some kind of vacuum robot, automated and efficient, that I could buy without getting off my couch, and use without getting my couch. No idea where I could find something like that, though, certainly not directly below this paragraph ...

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

This hardwood floor isn't going to mop itself - or maybe it will with the Scooba. Anyone with a Scooba want to share what they think?

I'm just hanging out, really.

EDBracken

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EDBracken
inkycatz wrote:This hardwood floor isn't going to mop itself - or maybe it will with the Scooba. Anyone with a Scooba want to share what they think?

I own one of these that is a couple of years old and also own a Roomba vac. The Scuba does a great job of cleaning my tile and hardwood floors. It does not work as well as the Roomba vac, mainly I think due to the extra weight it takes on in water used to clean the floor. I like the fact that it sucks up all the dirty water, so unlike a regular mop it doesn't leave behind any residue and gets the floors quite clean. The downside is because it is heavy it gets stuck a lot on things like doorway thresholds, floor registers and the like. I've learned to put chairs over things it doesn't like. To me it works fine with just plain water or any cleaning solution that isn't soapy. I don't buy the expensive Roomba cleaner. I have 4 kids, a dog and live in a 2 1/2 story house - wish I had about five of these things!

mnevenflow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mnevenflow
inkycatz wrote:This hardwood floor isn't going to mop itself - or maybe it will with the Scooba. Anyone with a Scooba want to share what they think?

I had a Scooba and loved it. My slightly intrusive mother in law would wash our kitchen floors with her hands. Afterwards, I would run the scooba just to see if it could wash better and the used water would still be black.

I said "had" because we always had battery problems with it and finally gave up trying to use it. They were great and replaced the battery for us once at no charge, but that one only lasted a couple months of use as well.

If someone could tell me they have improved the batteries, I would totally jump on this again.

Jasmine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jasmine

Are there any Neato experts here who can tell me the difference between the 3 vacuums? I need one of these for my new rug and have no experience with the robot vacuums.

Jasmine

Jasmine wrote:Are there any Neato experts here who can tell me the difference between the 3 vacuums? I need one of these for my new rug and have no experience with the robot vacuums.

Ok...I'll settle for any USEFUL comments expert or not.

afty88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages afty88
Jasmine wrote:Are there any Neato experts here who can tell me the difference between the 3 vacuums? I need one of these for my new rug and have no experience with the robot vacuums.

I was curious about this too, so I checked out some of the past woot sales and found...

triculo wrote:Stolen from amazon somewhere..
Mechanically and functionally, the XV-11, XV-12, XV-14, and XV-21 are all the same robot. The main difference between all the robots is their color. The XV-21 is the only robot that comes with a new brush and filter, which is centered towards pet owners and allergy sufferers. This updated brush and filter, also known as the Pet & Allergy Upgrade Kit, can be purchased separately and used with all existing robot models.

So for this sale, it looks like the XV-11 and XV-21 are identical. They both are come with better brushes and thicker filters to trap pet hair and allergens. The XV-11 may also include the original brush/filter, but it's hard to tell from these specs. The XV-12 is just the base Neato, but it does come with four extra (regular) filters and six extra (regular) brushes.

Jasmine

afty88 wrote:So for this sale, it looks like the XV-11 and XV-21 are identical. They both are come with better brushes and thicker filters to trap pet hair and allergens. The XV-11 may also include the original brush/filter, but it's hard to tell from these specs. The XV-12 is just the base Neato, but it does come with four extra (regular) filters and six extra (regular) brushes.

Thank you!! The XV-11 it is.

xochiluvr

quality posts: 14 Private Messages xochiluvr

I was under the impression that all the XV models were the same at the core, just different colors. What makes them different is the pet upgrade kit, which comes as standard on the 21 (upgraded filter and brush). So an XV 12 and an XV 11 are identical, EXCEPT that this XV 11 comes with the pet kit, so it's actually the same as the 21 except for color.

But that doesn't explain the prices, because it would mean the 11 and 21 should be similar in price and the 12 would be the cheapest. Woot is showing "original" prices that make the 21 and 12 at the same price point.

thumperchick

quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick

So, to be clear - it doesn't matter whether or not you have rugs or hardwood - these NEATO's are all the same, essentially?

harleygal14

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harleygal14

I have a scooba from woot for about 2 years now. The battery finally died and I got a battery replacement on eBay for a reasonable price. The key to scoobas and roomba batteries is you HAVE to keep them plugged in all the time or the device will discharge the battery and doing this multiple times or over a long period of time will ruin the battery. All my roombas and scoobas (5+??) in all have had their batteries last 1.5-2 years. If you want to store your roomba or scooba, you need to fully charge the battery and then take it out of the device and that will preserve it better.

I love how the scooba washes. It does do a great job of getting grime up on hardwood and tile floors for me. I'm considering getting a 2nd one because we'll be tiling our basement soon.

Iceman1959

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceman1959

Neato is a great little product, we have had ours for 6 months and it does a great job on almost anything . We do have a Small Shag Rug that it does not like to much but for the rest of the carpeting and hardwood floors, you cant beat it.

gftitan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gftitan

OK, here's the deal between the XV-11/12 (12 no longer sold new) & XV-21, besides the color.
The XV-21 is already setup with the Pet & Allergy kit, where the XV-11/12 can buy and the add the Pet "kit" for around $60 and can be done anytime after the original purchase. That's really about it!

rickbaron

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rickbaron
gftitan wrote:OK, here's the deal between the XV-11/12 (12 no longer sold new) & XV-21, besides the color.
The XV-21 is already setup with the Pet & Allergy kit, where the XV-11/12 can buy and the add the Pet "kit" for around $60 and can be done anytime after the original purchase. That's really about it!

Amazon has the 12 for $399 new.

hobbitus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hobbitus

Even though Neato will return to base when battery is low, and resume its vacuuming without supervision,

The reality is: you need to dump the dust bin after about 200--500 sq' anyway, unless you don't need vacuuming....OR...the dust bin will get crammed full and start leavin little dust turds around on the floor...;-)..

Still love my Neatos.

hobbitus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hobbitus
Jasmine wrote:Ok...I'll settle for any USEFUL comments expert or not.

I am NOT an expert...that said, I have two Neatos and have purchased others for others. The Only difference I have been able to tell is the "color" of the vacuum, and who sells it. XV 11 is sold by almost anyone.(GRAY)...... XV 12 is sold by Target and Woot.(White with blue and orange hand grip).. XV 21 the so called pet version, which has a roller brush with bristles and a fancy colored filter, which qualifies it as a "better pet" version.

That said...I love my Neatos. They are not perfect, but I love the way they map out the room, and work while I am gone from home, so when I come home...the floors are vacuumed...too cool.. some times scares me when I come home early and I here commotion in my house...just my little slaves bumping around. I live with 2 dogs...it never ceases to amaze me...I let the vacuums (one upstairs and one down) every other day...and the dust bins are ALWAYS full...and I didn't have to squat down and vacuum under my bed, nightstands, etc. Of course, I have Neatoized my furniture, so they are all high enough with not loose cords around, for Neato to be able to navigate well.

I have seen Roomba work...like a rat bouncing off walls...very inefficient. If you need..you still have to vacuum your stairs and a crevass tool for a good clean around baseboards and furniture feet...but I had to do that with my Dyson anyway.

It is so great to have help around the house...or it probably wouldn't have gotten done.

Neato has been great with support. Vacuums are not built out of super quality materials, so you might want extended warranty....that said...I couldn't hire a maid and keep my privacy for a year...if I had to replace it that often...which so far..I haven't...

rww119

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rww119

Having owned two rumbas over the past 5 years I was unsure of trying another robotic cleaner however the Neato 21 works great. We have two cats and a dog, lots of fur!!! I have run the Neato daily for the past two weeks and I'm amazed each time to see what it picks up. It runs circles around any rumba. It sounds a little like a jet engine starting when it powers up the vacuum but it is not as loud as our Dyson. dont waste your money, get the pet vac if you plan to have any pets. The beater bar does a better job then the bristle brush bar.
Let's give this one 10 0ut of 10 woots.

dchekan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dchekan

I own both a neato and a roomba. I like the neato better it seems to do a better job and the battery lasts longer as well. I have had no issues with my neato she is a year old,however my roomba has had issues and she is 2 years old. The neato is good with corners and the roomba seems to scatter into the corners.Since the neato sits higher it gets stuck under my coffee table and the roomba does not. If i had to choose it would be neato!

kusmertz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kusmertz

Bought a neato XV11 with pet upgrade a few months ago for $40 more than this here. Liked it so much I bought two more last month for $20 more than this here for gifts. Gift recipients like them so much, they may buy a few more here, which is the lowest I've ever seen.

I have a 2500 sq ft home. The Neato will take care of kitchen, living area, poolroom, and ballroom in 2 trips. I run it in the bedrooms when needed and it only needs 1 trip for master bed/bath and will do other rooms on a separate run. So I can run it twice in the main areas, twice in master, and twice in other rooms per week and have the house cleaned. I sweep out corners and hard to reach places beforehand (maybe 2 minutes if I haven't had my coffee), pick up my doormats that like to get caught, put the bot where I want it and start.

Maybe 1 stuck or "lost" issue every 15 runs, but it cleans so often, missing one run makes no difference.

limmh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages limmh

Hi

Anyone knows if the Scooba 380 currently on sale here is upgraded to the version 7 software? Heard that this version has longer battery life.

Thanks

pkalian1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pkalian1

roccochiv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages roccochiv
pkalian1 wrote:Here is the same at costco. Same price, free shipping and Costcos return policy is the best!

http://www.costco.com/Neato-Robotics%E2%84%A2-XV-14-Robotic-All-Floor-Vacuum.product.11761303.html?catalogId=10701&langId=-1&keyword=neato&storeId=10301

Costco is selling the xv-14, Woot has the XV-12 with a $50 bonus kit sold at target.com for $399 with no bonus kit.

Woot has the XV-11 green unit which is comparable to the xv-14 at costco for $279 only woot is selling it for $259 and they are including the $59.99 pet and allergy upgrade kit for FREE which costco does not do and in fact no other retailer does.

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

I boghut a refurb Scooba 5900 from Woot back in 2006. While it worked I *loved* that thing. It cleaned my linoleum and hardwoods better than anything before or since.

Unfortunately, I was the type that would go a month or more between usages, and it had battery problems. Evidently keeping it plugged in and not regularly discharging the battery through regular use caused the battery to build up a memory, and it consequently died.

It was a known problem, and iRobot sent me a device to upgrade the firmware as well as a new battery with instructions to charge the battery up and remove it for the robot if it was going a long time between uses. I still wound up with battery problems that eventually led to other issues with the CPU.

I sent it to an outfit in Canada for service, and after a $60 diagnostic fee and another $60 to repair (not to mention expensive shipping) they returned me a robot that worked once and then stopped vacuuming up the cleaning fluid, leaving large puddles on my floors and no water in the dirty water bin.

The last time it tried to use it, the computer seemed well and truly screwed.

Like I say, when it works it worked *amazingly* well. You will never be able to get your floors cleaner (though I'm not sure how the new formula Scooba detergent compares to the old blue Clorox detergent). My problem was it didn't keep working. I would gladly buy another if I could be assured that it would give me more than a years worth of service before it kicks the proverbial bucket.

Actually, at that price I want a good 5-7 years out of it. I question whether I'd get that.

curlysgirly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curlysgirly

I really "think" that I need this. How long do the brushes and filters last with normal use? I want to go with the 11 but can't tell if it comes with the original brush along with the pet kit.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Anyone know if the square trade extended warranty covers battery replacement after a couple of years?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

pkalian1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pkalian1
roccochiv wrote:Costco is selling the xv-14, Woot has the XV-12 with a $50 bonus kit sold at target.com for $399 with no bonus kit.

Woot has the XV-11 green unit which is comparable to the xv-14 at costco for $279 only woot is selling it for $259 and they are including the $59.99 pet and allergy upgrade kit for FREE which costco does not do and in fact no other retailer does.

I see no difference between the costco XV-12 and the woot xv-11. Both come with the same upgrades. Correct me if i am wrong.