3%
6%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

... Will Roomba be okay with this relationship?

/bromance

XD

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin

Great price on an awesome espresso maker. It makes wonderful espresso and it's super easy to clean: the brew group pulls right out and rinses under the tap.
I bought the original version of this machine for my parents almost 10 years ago and it's still working perfectly.
Make sure you descale it according to directions.

If you're into cappuccino, I would recommend getting a separate frother like the CBTL. They make a better froth than you could ever do with the panarello, and much faster.

Saeco makes an in-tank water filter for this machine, you can find it on Amazon for about $10. If you have very hard water, you may want to use demineralized water instead.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

I would get this but my Breville YouBrew would get jealous.

jpsison

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpsison

My five year anniversary is coming up soon... I was looking for a present for my wife - stainless steel is close enough to silver... Only thing is she hates espresso and is allergic to caffeine.

Still bought it though Read a few horror stories of machines that went bad on Amazon. But all-in-all seems like a good automatic machine for the money.

Hope woot has something better for my wife tomorrow!

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Last quickie, from sale of another Saeco a year ago, but comment was of this model, I think:

macmic6 wrote:For those who think this is overpriced take a look at http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/articles.asp?id=182
That will show you that a superautomatic is a pricy appliance. That being said I have a Saeco Incanto Deluxe and I love it. It is more than this model but they are all wonderful. No grinding, measuring etc. Coffee beans and water go in and with a push of a button, out comes fabulous espresso. I would take this thing with me on vacation if it didn't take so much luggage room and weigh so much. Anyway, if you are ever thinking about a super automatic espresso maker this might be the one for you. Go for it!!I totally love mine.

Good night.

briannanoob

quality posts: 7 Private Messages briannanoob

I bought this as a gift for my lady friend and she cursed me out, saying that the shape and sounds are too sexual, corrupting those who visit. I had to return it, even without flood insurance, and got her an extension cord instead. Overall, I would say that the machine is heavier and larger than Mr. Coffee. That's probably because it's bigger. And by the way, you need electricity for this so keep that in mind if you plan to use this at Christmas, tailgate or use on a plane.

nescid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nescid

Had My Saeco coffee maker for a year now... absolutely LOVE it, makes better coffee than coffee shops by far. No problems with it at all.

dlseek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dlseek

I've owned a couple of these. They haven't changed the internal design much (if at all) for years. Newer models just have more electronic controls.

While this "no change" can be a good thing, in this case it can also be bad - the thing that will fail, usually in 1-3 years, is the steamer valve. It will begin to leak, and then it drips onto the the control board.

I've had 2 go that way so far.

If you catch it early, before the control board gets fried, you can fix it yourself (search youtube for a tutorial), or you can ship it to a repair shop that will fix it for around $200, shipped. Fixing it yourself is not a walk in the park, but do-able, and enjoyable if you like tinkering.

Having said all that... these things make pretty good Joe - better than your Mr. Coffee, not as good as a real espresso machine - somewhere in between. Espresso and coffee snobs will scoff at you for your love of the stuff from this machine - but for me, the convenience of a super-automatic just can't be beat.

Using good beans is important. I personally am liking the "Espresso Neuvo" from Paradise Roasters ( http://www.paradiseroasters.com/ )

I have recently moved on to a different brand machine (Jura), mostly because it is quieter and (possibly) more reliable. This brand (Saeco) of machine has a loud "click-click, click-click" as it packs the coffee puck, which always annoyed my wife.

A couple good things about this unit over others you might be looking at:
(1) this is a pretty good price for a refurb
(2) the cleanable brew group is very handy
(3) easy to get parts, and requires no special tools to take apart

Not so good things:
(1) the water tank is behind the machine, so it is very hard to add water when this is living under a cupboard - you really have to pull the tank out, fill it, then replace it - perhaps you could find a better "water filler" vessel than I.
(2) design flaw - leaky steamer valve
(3) click-click, click-click

kwkilcoyne

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kwkilcoyne

Have had this model for years. Love it.

theanimala

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theanimala

I would personally pay a bit more and buy a new one from a place like Costco that has an open exchange policy. I have the Saeco Giro Plus, and while I LOVE the results I get with the machine, it has failed on me twice, each time at around the year mark. Luckily I purchased from Costco so I just order another one and return the broken one. And I do follow the recommended maintenance schedule as well.

woottoady

quality posts: 34 Private Messages woottoady

When I saw the price, I wondered how an $800 coffee machine would have so many refurbished units to be featured here on Woot. After a read-through of the Costco reviews it was quite apparent that its Italian heritage is Fiat-like in quality.

If you're going to buy this beast, consider the Square Trade warranty... or do as another Wooter did... buy 3, and you'll have 2 for parts!

Bryguyf69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryguyf69

According to the description, "the water reservoir can easily be refilled." If you have religious or avuncular objections to that, you may want to look at another model.

jaimelobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaimelobo
Bryguyf69 wrote:According to the description, "the water reservoir can easily be refilled." If you have religious or avuncular objections to that, you may want to look at another model.

"avuncular objections"??

Your uncle doesn't like it?

thedevin

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thedevin

I bought a previous Woot Saeco superautomatic, I believe it is the next model down from this one, with the same internal components in a plastic housing. I have had it for a year or so and it is great. It took some fine tuning to get a great shot of espresso from it, but after a month of tweaking each morning I would say I have 90% of the best shot I have ever pulled each morning in about 30 seconds. It is wonderful for the coffee snob on the run.

Only downside: I can no longer tolerate my office drip coffee, sometimes I punish myself with it for running late.

wmrowland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wmrowland

do NOT buy this machine without fully reading the reviews. it has lots of issues. check amazon.com. even the positive reviews on costco mention issues, or they've had the product for one week.

sihals

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sihals

I have had the Starbucks branded version ("Barista Italia Digital") of this machine for over 7 years now, and the shot counter shows 11234 total brewed. I have had to replace the steam valve once in this time (Did it myself with a ~$15 part off of eBay - wasn't very difficult). Can't recommend this machine enough. I am almost tempted to buy this woot, as I'm sure the grinder and pump of my old one is probably starting to get worn out by now. Also the steam wand of this one is better than on the one I have. But hoping it still has a couple of thousand more shots left in it. If it was haltering, even just a little, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this woot, and when the time comes to replace the one I have, I wouldn't think twice about getting another one like it.

factotum

quality posts: 10 Private Messages factotum
sihals wrote:I have had the Starbucks branded version ("Barista Italia Digital") of this machine for over 7 years now, and the shot counter shows 11234 total brewed. I have had to replace the steam valve once in this time (Did it myself with a ~$15 part off of eBay - wasn't very difficult). Can't recommend this machine enough. I am almost tempted to buy this woot, as I'm sure the grinder and pump of my old one is probably starting to get worn out by now. Also the steam wand of this one is better than on the one I have. But hoping it still has a couple of thousand more shots left in it. If it was haltering, even just a little, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this woot, and when the time comes to replace the one I have, I wouldn't think twice about getting another one like it.

Wow, so gushing. Was your Starbucks-branded version new or, like this offering, a refurb? Do you have *any* criticisms of these units?

macmic6

quality posts: 3 Private Messages macmic6

I have owned this model for over a year and absolutely love it. Wish I had paid this price. It usually retails for $800+. It is a real workhorse. It had a lot of great functions with three different sizes. If I had only one appliance I would choose this. Really! It's that awesome.

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
George S. Patton

vsicarbon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vsicarbon

Hmmm it says 1 Year warranty from Saeco, but there is no info on this.

My understanding is refurb warranties are through the retailer....This would be a nightmare to return to woot. Can someone shine some light on this subject? ?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
wmrowland wrote:do NOT buy this machine without fully reading the reviews. it has lots of issues. check amazon.com. even the positive reviews on costco mention issues, or they've had the product for one week.

You should totally link those reviews!

I'm just hanging out, really.

nlavender

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nlavender

Great Review! Thanks.

dlseek wrote:I've owned a couple of these. They haven't changed the internal design much (if at all) for years. Newer models just have more electronic controls.

While this "no change" can be a good thing, in this case it can also be bad - the thing that will fail, usually in 1-3 years, is the steamer valve. It will begin to leak, and then it drips onto the the control board.

I've had 2 go that way so far.

If you catch it early, before the control board gets fried, you can fix it yourself (search youtube for a tutorial), or you can ship it to a repair shop that will fix it for around $200, shipped. Fixing it yourself is not a walk in the park, but do-able, and enjoyable if you like tinkering.

Having said all that... these things make pretty good Joe - better than your Mr. Coffee, not as good as a real espresso machine - somewhere in between. Espresso and coffee snobs will scoff at you for your love of the stuff from this machine - but for me, the convenience of a super-automatic just can't be beat.

Using good beans is important. I personally am liking the "Espresso Neuvo" from Paradise Roasters ( http://www.paradiseroasters.com/ )

I have recently moved on to a different brand machine (Jura), mostly because it is quieter and (possibly) more reliable. This brand (Saeco) of machine has a loud "click-click, click-click" as it packs the coffee puck, which always annoyed my wife.

A couple good things about this unit over others you might be looking at:
(1) this is a pretty good price for a refurb
(2) the cleanable brew group is very handy
(3) easy to get parts, and requires no special tools to take apart

Not so good things:
(1) the water tank is behind the machine, so it is very hard to add water when this is living under a cupboard - you really have to pull the tank out, fill it, then replace it - perhaps you could find a better "water filler" vessel than I.
(2) design flaw - leaky steamer valve
(3) click-click, click-click

sihals

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sihals
factotum wrote:Wow, so gushing. Was your Starbucks-branded version new or, like this offering, a refurb? Do you have *any* criticisms of these units?

Gushing? I suppose. I do love this thing more than I've loved any other machine. It can be a little loud (the "clicking" sound somebody noted here above), if that sort of thing bothers you. To me the sound has the same effect as the bell had for Pavlov's dog.

I have used several other super autos as well, including some of the top of the line Jura machines, and they are certainly really good as well, and some are better than this one too of course. But $399 for this machine is the best bang for the buck I've seen for a super auto of this quality - by far.

gig103

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gig103

Just another tip for those buying/considering it - the grinder isn't user serviceable, so you can't use "Grindz" or rice to get rid of coffee oils. As a result, avoid the very dark roast coffee (Starbucks, especially Sumatra, for example).

redial

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redial

Have used a friends Saeco and they are decent.

If you want to get into espresso, a more serious starter kit would probably be a refurbed Gaggia classic (300) and a baratza vario grinder (100) but its not a superauto like this saeco

Warning: once you get hooked on a real espresso machine you cant drink the mud water at work
edit: whoops looks like someone beat me to that comment

tollesont

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tollesont

So if I buy this and it craps out in a week (see Amazon reviews) what is the warranty from Woot? Can I return it?

jimmythewoot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jimmythewoot
Lord John Whorfin wrote:... If you're into cappuccino, I would recommend getting a separate frother like the CBTL. They make a better froth than you could ever do with the panarello, and much faster.

About frothing: We frequently use our french press to froth milk, You just pump the plunger rapidly for 50 strokes or so and pop it into the microwave for thirty seconds, yielding a nice, dry microfoam.

As for the Incanto, it's probably a good buy. We've owned the Saeco Easy for a bunch of years, and it's been good to us. (All the Saeco automatics are fairly similar internally.) It won't make great espresso -- you need a pricier machine for that -- but it will make very good espresso, and you don't have to tweak it all the time.

Edit: The Incanto and the Easy use the same internal parts. One nice feature of the Incanto Deluxe is the bypass doser. Sometimes life gives you ground coffee.

Onomatopoeia. It's not what it sounds like.

jimmythewoot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jimmythewoot
nlavender wrote:Great Review! Thanks.

Good point about the steamer valve; I replaced mine, but I'm fairly handy and it wasn't much of a big deal. (Saeco Easy.) That "click-click-click" is the way the machine gets all the coffee out of the doser, by the way. Picture a small hammer hitting the grinding chamber, more or less.

Onomatopoeia. It's not what it sounds like.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 98 Private Messages radi0j0hn
Lord John Whorfin wrote:Great price on an awesome espresso maker. It makes wonderful espresso and it's super easy to clean: the brew group pulls right out and rinses under the tap.
I bought the original version of this machine for my parents almost 10 years ago and it's still working perfectly.
Make sure you descale it according to directions.

If you're into cappuccino, I would recommend getting a separate frother like the CBTL. They make a better froth than you could ever do with the panarello, and much faster.

Saeco makes an in-tank water filter for this machine, you can find it on Amazon for about $10. If you have very hard water, you may want to use demineralized water instead.

Where was yours made 10 years ago and where is this one made today?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

landsnark

quality posts: 10 Private Messages landsnark
theanimala wrote:I would personally pay a bit more and buy a new one from a place like Costco that has an open exchange policy. I have the Saeco Giro Plus, and while I LOVE the results I get with the machine, it has failed on me twice, each time at around the year mark. Luckily I purchased from Costco so I just order another one and return the broken one.

Yep--that's where these come from! Maybe I can get one of theanimala's old machines!

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
landsnark wrote:Yep--that's where these come from! Maybe I can get one of theanimala's old machines!

If it is Seattle Coffee Gear refurbished, I am pretty sure they did a good job and the failure rate after refurbishment is lower than buying a machine fresh from the factory.
If I would not have just bought the Odea Giro a few weeks ago for less than $250 I would jump on it... however, besides of the Bypass Doser and some presets that are stored I do not see what it does better than the Giro.
http://home.woot.com/offers/saeco-odea-giro-espresso-machine

Can it change the pressure/crema?

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Make sure this fits under you cabinets- at 16.5 inches it does not fit under mine.

bcs311

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bcs311

it was from coffee gear but mine wasn't refurbished or in working condition..

andreaserben wrote:If it is Seattle Coffee Gear refurbished, I am pretty sure they did a good job and the failure rate after refurbishment is lower than buying a machine fresh from the factory.
If I would not have just bought the Odea Giro a few weeks ago for less than $250 I would jump on it... however, besides of the Bypass Doser and some presets that are stored I do not see what it does better than the Giro.
http://home.woot.com/offers/saeco-odea-giro-espresso-machine

Can it change the pressure/crema?