WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Shunderful Knives

Ripper! Tearer! Slasher! Gouger! Much like Beowulf, Shun Knives are powerful weapons, that can do all of those things, and also like Beowulf, they're pretty great at saving a feast. By, you know, cutting all the meats and food and stuff. And, I suppose, dealing with any Grendels that might show up.

davemays123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages davemays123

My wife bought me a Shun Chef's knife for Christmas and as far as i can tell, it is the sharpest thing in the universe. I compared it back to back with my mother-in-law's brand new ceramic and it was much much sharper. Vegetables slice with so little effort that it is almost scary.

Also, they are once again offering free resharpening of their knives, so you can send it back for a factory edge when it gets dull.
see here

amberthegray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amberthegray

A Woot! deal for just a santoku knife by itself would be great…… (hint hint)

slappomatt

quality posts: 6 Private Messages slappomatt

I have recently bought the top two outside sets and then 2 more off eBay. Shun knives are going to be the death of me. these are pretty good deals and I have always wanted some shuns.

nicesocks

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nicesocks

As someone who has in the past bought a Santoku and Paring knife from woot and is still looking to increase their collection of Shun knives in a redundancy minimizing manner.

A bread knife by itself or with any non Chef / non Santoku / non Paring knives would be an automatic purchase for myself.

quizamo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quizamo

Looks like my begging worked, and now that they're back I'm in for one of the 7-piece Shun Ken Onion sets! Woot!

mambckly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mambckly

I got the three piece set (top left) for Christmas. I love them. They are sharper than anything I've ever seen before. Makes my ceramic knifes look as dull as spoons.

Need...more...Shun knives.

K.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
quizamo wrote:Looks like my begging worked, and now that they're back I'm in for one of the 7-piece Shun Ken Onion sets! Woot!

We work hard at listening!

I'm just hanging out, really.

coreopsis79

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coreopsis79

I live with my mother in law and she has the tendency to be really rough on knives. She even lost one from my wusthof set, so needless to say I am not spending $100+. I like my Kai knives and the last time I took out a new one, my MIL sliced off a bit of her fingertip. Sharp knives are just too dangerous in my house.

3z3vh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages 3z3vh

A few years ago Amazon had a sale on the 3-piece Shun Ken Onion set, which I picked up, and have been nothing but impressed with.

I am in for one of the 'Ken Onion 7-piece with block' sets, since I get the knives I have been missing, and the extra slots in the block will fit my existing Ken Onions.

The only duplicate knife, the 8" Chef knife, is the one that I always end up washing two and three times per meal because I need it to cut something else. now I will have two !

Score !

chadc4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chadc4

I have 5 or 6 Elite knives. Anyone who has both Elite and Classic care to comment on the differences in everyday use? I just don't see the Elites on sale as much anymore, and so I'm thinking picking up Classic might be a good compromise.

geekwench

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekwench

Woof writers, it's a PARING knife, not a 'pairing' knife. I let this go without comment the first and second times I saw it on a write-up, but for the love of dog, PLEASE stop calling these 'pairing' knives.

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
chadc4 wrote:I have 5 or 6 Elite knives. Anyone who has both Elite and Classic care to comment on the differences in everyday use? I just don't see the Elites on sale as much anymore, and so I'm thinking picking up Classic might be a good compromise.

I'm pretty sure the only difference is the steel used. I don't have any Elite knives, so I can't compare, but I'm perfectly happy with my Classic chef's knife (and my "Steel" chef's knife, which is like a Classic but with a metal handle).

stacyhamlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stacyhamlin

Shun bread knives are on sale/clearance at Wayfair.com. $89

A bread knife by itself or with any non Chef / non Santoku / non Paring knives would be an automatic purchase for myself.

ngoodfri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ngoodfri
geekwench wrote:Woof writers, it's a PARING knife, not a 'pairing' knife. I let this go without comment the first and second times I saw it on a write-up, but for the love of dog, PLEASE stop calling these 'pairing' knives.

^^this. serially.

cbetka13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbetka13
stacyhamlin wrote:Shun bread knives are on sale/clearance at Wayfair.com. $89

Great price. Thank you for the info.

dcantator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcantator
cbetka13 wrote:Great price. Thank you for the info.

I couldn't find them on the site, can you link me? Or tell me what to search?

Found this one for way more:
http://www.wayfair.com/Shun-Classic-9-Off-Set-Bread-Knife-DM0724-SUH1021.html

dcantator

Also, does anyone know which knives the 7 piece set specifically comes with since there are variations on many shun knives?

aprilbolin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aprilbolin
dcantator wrote:Also, does anyone know which knives the 7 piece set specifically comes with since there are variations on many shun knives?

It's listed in the features on the main page for the set. Haven't had caffeine this morning and having trouble cutting and pasting.

aprilbolin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aprilbolin
chadc4 wrote:I have 5 or 6 Elite knives. Anyone who has both Elite and Classic care to comment on the differences in everyday use? I just don't see the Elites on sale as much anymore, and so I'm thinking picking up Classic might be a good compromise.

This is from a website devoted to knives:

The Shun Elite series is Kai’s second most popular kitchen line. At first glance, they may seem similar to the Classic knives. But there are some important distinctions here. The most important is the steel. Elite knives are made of SG-2, a premium “powdered” alloy.

Powdered steels are created through a unique process that allows uniform distribution of elements throughout the material. This creates a steel that can be made extremely hard and, therefore, sharp.

The handles are pakka wood, similar to the Classic knives. Care and maintenance is similar as well.

dcantator

aprilbolin wrote:It's listed in the features on the main page for the set. Haven't had caffeine this morning and having trouble cutting and pasting.

(1) 9" Bread Knife
(1) 8" Chef's Knife
(1) 6" Serrated Utility Knife
(1) 3" Pairing Knife
(1) Pair Herb Shears
(1) Honing Steel
(1) 11-Slot Bamboo Block

But as you might find from searching a 9" shun bread knife you get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0705-Classic-9-Inch-Bread/dp/B000139H78/

http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Onion-DM0505-Multi-Purpose-9-Inch/dp/B000P18LMS/

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-Premier-Bread-Knife-9-Inch/dp/B003B66YKK

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-Classic-9-Bread-Knife/dp/B0007D6GS0/

All different variations

aerodave

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aerodave

Just a note about the two-piece classic set, which was the Dec 28 home.woot...

It appears that the set that's being shipped doesn't contain the serrated utility knife, but the plain-edge version instead. That's the story from a few members on that item's discussion page, including myself. No one's piped up yet to say they actually got the serrated knife.

The plain utility knife is still pretty cool...but I think all knives are kinda cool. But this one isn't going to serve as the ultimate baguette slicer I was hoping for with the serrated one.

dcantator

Can someone from woot reply to the actual items in the set:

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0500W-8-Inch-Onion-Chefs/dp/B007JU939S/

http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Onion-DM0505-Multi-Purpose-9-Inch/dp/B000P18LMS/

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0722-Classic-Serrated-Utility/dp/B00022YEWG/

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-Onion-3-Inch-Paring-Knife/dp/B000J01AP0/

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM7100-Herb-Shears/dp/B004M3ZF6U/

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0750-Sharpening-Steel/dp/B000139H7I/

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0831-11-Slot-Bamboo-Block/dp/B00022YELM/

Are they these? The only one's handle that doesn't look the same is the serrated 6" knife

cbetka13

dcantator wrote:I couldn't find them on the site, can you link me? Or tell me what to search?

Found this one for way more:
http://www.wayfair.com/Shun-Classic-9-Off-Set-Bread-Knife-DM0724-SUH1021.html

I was able to find that $89 knife - it was a RETURN, though and
the price actually went up a bit as I was watching it and looking to put more stuff into my basket. But here it is:
http://www.wayfair.com/Shun-Classic-9-Bread-Knife-DM0705-SUH1005.html?clearance=true
Need to look under SALE/Clearance. Was not able to do a search on just that section - so had to go through all of 1700 items there to find what was interesting. They also have a SHUN CLassic 9" Slicer for about $100. Hope this helps.

cbetka13

aprilbolin wrote:This is from a website devoted to knives:

The Shun Elite series is Kai’s second most popular kitchen line. At first glance, they may seem similar to the Classic knives. But there are some important distinctions here. The most important is the steel. Elite knives are made of SG-2, a premium “powdered” alloy.

Powdered steels are created through a unique process that allows uniform distribution of elements throughout the material. This creates a steel that can be made extremely hard and, therefore, sharp.

The handles are pakka wood, similar to the Classic knives. Care and maintenance is similar as well.

To my knowledge the Elite was realeased in both Classic and Ken Onion variations. KO Elite was only ever released in a 8" Chef, 7" Santoku, and 3 1/2" Paring, and you can still find them, fortunately. I think I saw more styles in Classic Elite than KO. In 2006 Elite 10” Chef’s Classic got the Blade magazine's "knife of the year" award.
I do have both regular and Elite knives ( mostly Ken Onions) and also some Ken Onion Kaji Fusion (which uses the same SG2 steel as the Elite, but just looks a bit different). There is certainly some difference in the way these knives feel. I love the feel of Elite - it seems a bit more hefty, ( which I like),better balanced and is sharper. Very pretty as well - that little copper ring on the handle next to the blade and a copper rosette on the handle are very distinguished. To me Kaji Fusion KO does not feel as great as Elite, even though it uses the same steel and the handle is fundamentally the same except for cosmetic differences. Maintenance-wise: keep in mind that SG2 is a much harder steel - so if you are into sharpenning your own knives - they will be a bit harder to handle. Also - I am not sure if a regular steel honing rod is hard enough for them - I keep wondering if they actually need a CERAMIC honing rod, like Shun issue with Fuji sets that are also SG2 steel, just fancier damascus work.
Hope this is useful info.

buenocabra

quality posts: 2 Private Messages buenocabra

Every time I read "Ken Onion", I just think of the karate teacher from Parappa the Rapper.

seattlekleins

quality posts: 8 Private Messages seattlekleins
chadc4 wrote:Anyone who has both Elite and Classic care to comment on the differences in everyday use?

The Classics don't retain their edge quite as well as the Elites, but that's a more longer-than-daily sorta term. Day-to-day, they're fairly comparable.

For a vertical chopping blade (Santoku, Nakiri, etc), where you can have some impact, I prefer the slightly softer steel of the Classics, hence my Classic Santoku.

Classics do have a larger handle than the Elites, so if you have very small hands, that might be an issue.

TL;DR: Difference isn't huge, both nice.

***Edit*** I would, however, suggest that you buy the Shun Elite Honesuki, if you prefer a Honesuki to (or like one in addition to) a traditional Western Boning knife.

The handle, the balance, the whole thing is just delightful and perfect and I love my Elite Honesuki very, very much.

I pet it like a cat.

That's not actually true.

Ok, maybe it is.

seattlekleins

quality posts: 8 Private Messages seattlekleins
cbetka13 wrote:Also - I am not sure if a regular steel honing rod is hard enough for them - I keep wondering if they actually need a CERAMIC honing rod, like Shun issue with Fuji sets that are also SG2 steel, just fancier damascus work.

I haven't found just using a steel to be problematic.

jobeoeoeo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jobeoeoeo

Stupid question... Are they dishwasher safe. I don't trust my wife not to run them in the dishwasher behind my bak.

craigthom

jobeoeoeo wrote:Stupid question... Are they dishwasher safe. I don't trust my wife not to run them in the dishwasher behind my bak.

They aren't going to be instantly ruined if they are run through the dishwasher, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Banging around in the dishwasher could damage the edge. The detergent could discolor the handle. Extended exposure to moisture could cause some rust.

The heat of the dishwasher is not a problem for tempered steel, no matter what some people claim.

So if she sticks it in the dishwasher it will be OK. Just freak out, reminder her how much it cost, and maybe she'll remember next time.

Better yet, wash the knife, dry it, and put it away as soon as you are done using it, not when the meal is finished, or you are done cooking, but as soon as you are done with the knife. If you do that she won't have an opportunity to put it in the dishwasher.

45chel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 45chel
aerodave wrote:Just a note about the two-piece classic set, which was the Dec 28 home.woot...

It appears that the set that's being shipped doesn't contain the serrated utility knife, but the plain-edge version instead. That's the story from a few members on that item's discussion page, including myself. No one's piped up yet to say they actually got the serrated knife.

The plain utility knife is still pretty cool...but I think all knives are kinda cool. But this one isn't going to serve as the ultimate baguette slicer I was hoping for with the serrated one.

Oh dear, that's the only reason I picked that set over one of the others.

May I please get some clarification before the orders ship?

croettger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages croettger

I would love some left handed shun's. I know I can use the regular but they make left handed ones...

cbetka13

Since we are talking wishes - does Woot have any Ken Onion Kaji Fusion and Ken Onion Elite knives still left somewhere in the long-forgotten corner of the warehouse???? Pretty pleeeease !!!!!!!

mikehui

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikehui
45chel wrote:Oh dear, that's the only reason I picked that set over one of the others.

May I please get some clarification before the orders ship?

I bought that set and got a non-serrated knife as others have mentioned. Sent Woot an email and they said that Shun would be handling exchanges. Apparently the sets were screwed up by shun and not woot. Woot's email gave a number to call at Shun. I called and got a answering machine. Have nt heard back yet.

michael

jaycain

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jaycain
geekwench wrote:Woof writers, it's a PARING knife, not a 'pairing' knife. I let this go without comment the first and second times I saw it on a write-up, but for the love of dog, PLEASE stop calling these 'pairing' knives.

It is pretty obvious that what they're trying to say is that the knives bring people together. Duh!

jaycain

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jaycain

Okay - I made my catty comment, so let me contribute to the substantive information here.

Back in January of 2010, during a woot-off, I bought the http://www.woot.com/offers/kai-shun-classic-ultimate-cooks-knife-with-magnetic-disk. It has remained in the magnetic knife rack next to the stove ever since (the place of knife honor in our home). Having said that, I think it is just an "okay" knife. I really like my Wusthof chef's knife better which cost about the same if you find it on sale. And it is a lot less of a pain in the pajamas to sharpen.

I'm not knocking it, but there's nothing special about these knives. And that little magnetic wooden disk thing --> straight into the garbage.

craigthom

jaycain wrote:Okay - I made my catty comment, so let me contribute to the substantive information here.

Back in January of 2010, during a woot-off, I bought the http://www.woot.com/offers/kai-shun-classic-ultimate-cooks-knife-with-magnetic-disk. It has remained in the magnetic knife rack next to the stove ever since (the place of knife honor in our home). Having said that, I think it is just an "okay" knife. I really like my Wusthof chef's knife better which cost about the same if you find it on sale. And it is a lot less of a pain in the pajamas to sharpen.

I'm not knocking it, but there's nothing special about these knives. And that little magnetic wooden disk thing --> straight into the garbage.

But you are comparing a goofy sandwich knife to a chef's knife. You'd need to compare to a Shun chef's knife for it to be meaningful.

wfarmer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wfarmer

Love my Shun knives but does Woot ever sell these knives without a santoku or chef's knife? I wouldn't mind buying a few more knives but I'm all set as far as santoku/chef's knives go.

caluth

quality posts: 8 Private Messages caluth

Just got mine in today! Absolutely amazing. Sharp as all heck! and pretty to boot.

swanky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swanky

Adding my experience with a problem in the order.

I ordered the KO 7 piece block set and received the order yesterday. The knives are great, but I got a non serrated utility knife instead of serrated advertised on the woot page.

I contacted woot and they emailed back to me that they "have made arrangements with the manufacturer for you to receive the correct replacement knife, free of charge" and provided me with Shun USA contact number.

I contacted Shun, and first connected with their warranty dept who had no idea what I was talking about. If you contact Shun for this issue, please talk to their customer service dept. The lady that I spoke to, said the KO line is discontinued and she will look if she has a serrated utility knife available.

Woot, if you are listening - please double check your order description page to avoid us customers getting into the hassle of sorting this out.