WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Finish this sentence: I stopped living in my parent’s house when I was…
  • 8.5% - 16. Hard. Core. 134
  • 35.9% - 18. Left after I opened my presents. 566
  • 28.2% - 21. I guess I sorta still lived there until college was over. 444
  • 19.8% - 24ish. I took some time to regroup. 312
  • 3% - Early 30s. Hey, it was a good location. 48
  • 0.4% - 40s, but my parents wanted me there to help. 7
  • 0.3% - 50s. At that point, it was like a game of chicken with life. 4
  • 3.9% - I’ve never lived anywhere but the one house. 62
1577 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

18. Got a "kickstart" from the parents into the real world.

thelastdj1976

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thelastdj1976
ChronoSquall14 wrote:18. Got a "kickstart" from the parents into the real world.

As in their foot kicking you out the front door?

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

I was 19 or 20.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

natsunekko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages natsunekko

I left the house when I was 18, but my parents both left the house when I was 16, leaving me (the oldest) with four younger siblings to take care of. :/ To make things even more delightful, we were living overseas at the time.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

16, when I went off to college. It was still my official address for 6 more years, as I was in the military after college, but only stayed at home for a few days at a time, when I visited my family.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

Moved back home for grad school. Was probably a bad move but I ended up 40K in debt as it was, so didn't need any more.

acfreema

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acfreema

I am exceedingly disgusted with this notion that we are somehow failures for not leaving our parent/s' homes at an arbitrarily determined age. If one cannot find gainful employment, how could one be expected to fend for themselves?

This is at least as stupid as the "average income" numbers in the US.
Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

sonarbison

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonarbison

I was 18 when I left for college. Came back when I graduate and lived in their basement...for a few months, then went to my current job...on the other side of the country. No shame in living with parents if you have a plan to leave ;-)

ptucker2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ptucker2

I'm actually going to move back in for a couple months since I'm moving back to the area. What's better than free rent? Free food. Thanks Ma.

frycooks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frycooks
acfreema wrote:I am exceedingly disgusted with this notion that we are somehow failures for not leaving our parent/s' homes at an arbitrarily determined age. If one cannot find gainful employment, how could one be expected to fend for themselves?

Your still at home, aren't ya?

cmichellesmith1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmichellesmith1
frycooks wrote:Your still at home, aren't ya?

I died laughing when I saw this!

cmichellesmith1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmichellesmith1
acfreema wrote:I am exceedingly disgusted with this notion that we are somehow failures for not leaving our parent/s' homes at an arbitrarily determined age. If one cannot find gainful employment, how could one be expected to fend for themselves?

Join the military

rhallowell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rhallowell
ptucker2 wrote:I'm actually going to move back in for a couple months since I'm moving back to the area. What's better than free rent? Free food. Thanks Ma.

I agree. I just finished grad school, and haven't left my parents yet. My new job doesn't really pay enough for me to get a place that would be closer/better, and so my priority is to pay down my 50k grad school debt and save up to buy a place. Are those goals really something to be ashamed of?

spacemart

quality posts: 15 Private Messages spacemart

i left at 18 but what are the presents? graduation presents? If that's the case i got half an old used care paid for. turned out to be a decent car that lasted a few years though

xxsamanthalxx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xxsamanthalxx

It's not so much failures as... moochers, horrible human beings using someone's love against them to suck every single penny they can get out of another person.

If someone is 18 and is paying fair market value rent for their bedroom and utilities and doing all the cooking and cleaning (or literally paying for all of their own food) AND their transport (car payment, insurance, gas, maintenance or bus pass), then bravo.

The other way (and potentially less valid way since it may never come to be) I can see adults living with their parents as acceptable is if you plan on 100% supporting your parents after they retire, which you plan on doing even if your future spouse utterly opposes it (to the point of divorce even).

But no... I know so many people that are 24+ years old and have their parents fully support them. A few have jobs, but that's just their own personal spending money- their parents still pay for their rent, car, children, vacations, (and paid for their) college, etc. And they just feel... entitled to it.

*Leaving out people with illnesses from this. That's an actual reason not to support yourself, not just "waahh, they won't give me $40 an hour for answering phones, so I refuse to do anything!"