WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

San Felipe Solar Sea Salt

We came from the sea, we return to the sea. And then, while at the sea, we fill up on salt. Have you ever had gourmet sea salt? Boy, oh, boy, oh, BOY! Just please, eat a little supplemental seaweed now and then to get that iodine your body craves.
San Felipe Salt Company official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Sea Salt can be so gourmet. What do you use sea salt for?

I'm just hanging out, really.

cupcakelazers

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cupcakelazers

So, I don't have this salt specifically, but if you've never used smoked salt before then I suggest you try it.

As a vegetarian, I use smoked salt on the regular. It's great in dishes where you're trying to replace meat. For example, when I make my family's Mexican bean soup (usually requiring a half pound of bacon) I use the smoked salt and my soup wants for nothing. Same with gumbo or veggie patties.

Long story short: Smoked salt = great decision.

inkycatz

cupcakelazers wrote:As a vegetarian, I use smoked salt on the regular. It's great in dishes where you're trying to replace meat.

As someone who's trying to cut back on meat, I appreciate this perspective.

Slarti59

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Slarti59
cupcakelazers wrote:As a vegetarian, I use smoked salt on the regular. It's great in dishes where you're trying to replace meat.

I'm also a vegetarian, but I really hate the taste of meat. I have never had smoked salt, but I can't eat many smoked cheeses because they remind me of deli meat. I'm guessing I wouldn't like it, but maybe I'll get some and see if my boyfriend enjoys vegetarian food a bit more with it.

purplefeather

quality posts: 8 Private Messages purplefeather

I'm tempted to buy some just so I can have the bottle.

inkycatz

purplefeather wrote:I'm tempted to buy some just so I can have the bottle.

See, that's what got my attention in the first place, but then I was all "you cannot just have something for the bottle, you need stronger reasoning"... or I guess in this case, stronger seasoning?

JRRB

quality posts: 34 Private Messages JRRB
cupcakelazers wrote:As a vegetarian, I use smoked salt on the regular. It's great in dishes where you're trying to replace meat. For example, when I make my family's Mexican bean soup (usually requiring a half pound of bacon) I use the smoked salt and my soup wants for nothing. Same with gumbo or veggie patties.

I'm a vegetarian but hubby isn't, so I appreciate this tip. I'm always trying to get him to enjoy more meatless dishes.

purplefeather wrote:I'm tempted to buy some just so I can have the bottle.

Exactly, though the salt sounds so very tasty. I had better go eat lunch before I get click-happy. I bet the Sea Salt with Chipotle and Cacao would be lovely on my enchaladas....

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

Me likes the bottle too. Pretty.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

smeera

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smeera

I like the bottle too. the chipotle and cacao reminds me of what a friend is always putting on soup and fruits. im in for one of those.

meows

honeybadger12

quality posts: 8 Private Messages honeybadger12

solar sea salt can be had for much less money than this. what makes this salt worth the price of admission?

azrhei

quality posts: 2 Private Messages azrhei

The way these are listed is disingenuous. The smoke salts, for example, are listed with an MSRP of $24.99 and being sold for $18.00 for a savings of 28%. But on the manufacturer's own website, they are sold for $20 each - a savings of only 10%. In the case of the plain/natural sea salt, Woot is actually $2 HIGHER than the manufacturer (Woot price $12 - Manf price $10).

No thanks.

Edit: Garlic salt - Manf Price $13, Woot price $14. Bad Woot, no biscuit!

Ndana

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ndana

$32 a pound for designer F'n SALT!! Are you CRAZY???????

flower753

quality posts: 2 Private Messages flower753
azrhei wrote:The way these are listed is disingenuous. The smoke salts, for example, are listed with an MSRP of $24.99 and being sold for $18.00 for a savings of 28%. But on the manufacturer's own website, they are sold for $20 each - a savings of only 10%. In the case of the plain/natural sea salt, Woot is actually $2 HIGHER than the manufacturer (Woot price $12 - Manf price $10).

No thanks.

Edit: Garlic salt - Manf Price $13, Woot price $14. Bad Woot, no biscuit!

This is true, however the manufacturer requires you to purchase at least $20 of product before they'll let you check out. Also, IIRC Woot factors the manf. shipping into their MSRP.

That said, I'm not buying because I already have a bunch of sea salt & don't need any more.

bell96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bell96

Uh, I don't think sea salt has iodine....

ushindi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ushindi

Actually, I get mine from Amazon - much less expensive, plus free shipping (over $25, which I usually make certain of).
I get "Coarse Mesquite Smoked New Zealand Sea Salt, 12 Ounce (Pack of 6)", or 72 ounces for $20.52. Granted, the containers aren't as "pretty", but the salt is certainly good.
Nothing against good old Woot, but this doesn't seem like a very good deal (except for the pretty bottles).

chipmac1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chipmac1

I bought some of this salt when I was visiting my uncle in San Felipe. It really is "good stuff". I love using sea salt and this is the best I have found yet.

chipmac1

chipmac1 wrote:I bought some of this salt when I was visiting my uncle in San Felipe. It really is "good stuff". I love using sea salt and this is the best I have found yet.

- Use the smoked salt with mushrooms - fantastic.

chipmac1

bell96 wrote:Uh, I don't think sea salt has iodine....

Gee.. . You get iodine from eating kelp... you get iodine from some fish... gee... they come from the sea too. Any sea salt has at least a trace.

chipmac1

inkycatz wrote:Sea Salt can be so gourmet. What do you use sea salt for?

If you get the natural - un-processed - sea salt it will be lower in sodium and higher in trace minerals. The extra trace minerals seem to bring out a new dimension to the flavors in the food.

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
bell96 wrote:Uh, I don't think sea salt has iodine....

it doesn't. people on low or no iodine diets that like salt use it.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

xercess

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xercess
cupcakelazers wrote:So, I don't have this salt specifically, but if you've never used smoked salt before then I suggest you try it.

As a vegetarian, I use smoked salt on the regular. It's great in dishes where you're trying to replace meat. For example, when I make my family's Mexican bean soup (usually requiring a half pound of bacon) I use the smoked salt and my soup wants for nothing. Same with gumbo or veggie patties.

So is it more than just salt+liquid smoke?

njkatz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages njkatz
xercess wrote:So is it more than just salt+liquid smoke?

Normally it's made by actually smoking the salt. I haven't tried this brand, but others I've had are very tasty.

Nick

knosti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knosti

I'm a big fan of finishing salt, specifically Maldon which is much less expensive than this and I'm sure is a superior product. If you're new to the world of gourmet finishing salt, get yourself some Maldon on Amazon for about half the price and yes, the smoked salt is lovely.