3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

room209

quality posts: 6 Private Messages room209

Amazon reviews are mixed.

But over $200 new, I might pull the trigger on this badboy.

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

All the perks of fresh ground and french press, without taking up all of my counter space? AND a good cup of coffee? I may have to look into this.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

... don't do this, bro...

DON'T DO THIS!!!

;_;

/heartbroken

(Not the part about Lisa and Craig. The other part.

/mantra
Don't close the series. Don't...)

cristinamic11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cristinamic11

please do tell...I don't have time for a dud or weak/cold coffee! "ain't nobody got time for that!"

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

cristinamic11 wrote:please do tell...I don't have time for a dud or weak/cold coffee! "ain't nobody got time for that!"

cristinamic11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cristinamic11

LOL!!!!! That's exactly where I was going with my comment! ...but seriously, am I gonna get "cold pop" out of this machine or is this coffee going to be on "fiarrrr?"

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927
Moueska wrote:... don't do this, bro...

DON'T DO THIS!!!

You ate his face!?!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
miken927 wrote:You ate his face!?!

/insert obligatory bath salts joke

drxo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drxo

I ordered one last time they were offered, and received one with numerous defects (see post). The replacement is due in tomorrow, one month after I ordered the original. I will be very critical of it!

ALSO - Warranty may not be what Woot claims. Breville service told me on the phone they do not warranty refurbs beyond 90 days, no matter the seller, including this one. Woot said they were checking on this, then never got back to me. I'd believe the manufacturer on this, since they're the ones who would service it. Not sure how Square Trade will treat the apparent 3-month hole in coverage.

The Doc

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
Moueska wrote:/insert obligatory bath salts joke

obligatory jack in the box commercial

cksphd

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cksphd

Breville is an excellent brand. I have a Breville toaster, and it is built like an elegant tank. It makes absolutely perfect toast. The controls are extremely well thought out, and it is beautiful.

If the Breville coffee maker works as well and is constructed anything like the toaster, there is potential of a best of best.

scottycameron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottycameron

I got one last time they were offered and have been enjoying the best brewed coffee of my life since.

Pros -
Great coffee
Built like a tank
Intuitive controls
About as quiet as a burr grinder can be
Can use pre-ground coffee too

Cons-
Huge, this thing is massive and barely fits under our cabinets, short people might have a hard time filling the water tank and possibly the bean hopper

High maintenance, I take 5-7 minutes every day to clean all of the moving pieces. Fine now but this might get old after a year or two. Maybe I'll pen my first novel, "Zen and the Art of Coffee Brewer Maintenance"?

No heated carafe. Fine for my wife and me but some people might like 9 hour old hot coffee. The insulated carafe does keep the coffee hot for a few hours.

To me this was a steal, blows my old Bunn out of the water. Get some quality beans, experiment with the many settings and enjoy some fine java.

heidenseek87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heidenseek87

I ordered the coffee maker last time it was offered on Woot! (I am drinking a cup of coffee made from the machine as I write this). This coffee maker makes excellent coffee and is well worth the price. Prior to this my wife and I used a breville single cup (K cup) coffee maker, or an Aero press, or our Chemex to brew the coffee and a hand burr grinder for our beans. The coffeee from this Breville is as good as or better than the coffee from my other three methods/machines.

One problem with the unit I received is that it leaks water from the bottom, I am not sure how. I made sure I am not over-filing it and I also ran it through the descale process outlined in the owners manual and it did not resolve the issue so I will be contacting Breville for a replacement.

As for the negative reviews on Amazon regarding 'cold' coffee, I have not experienced this issue. Every cup I have I have had from this unit has been hot.

Thanks to drxo for the heads up about the warranty.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

"High maintenance, I take 5-7 minutes every day to clean all of the moving pieces."

Yep, as and old GF once asked of almost any kitchen gadget I looked at, "Is it hard to clean?"

She's long gone, but she has saved me thousands of dollars. Thanks sweetie!

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

remichel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages remichel

I ordered this pot last time (just prior to Christmas) and had to send back the original after one brew due to a constant de-scale message and cold coffee (temp. 140). I received a replacement refurbished unit from Breville and the temperature was a little better, but it was only about 160. Fresh brewed coffee should be brewed closer to 200 degrees. As I understand it, the Breville uses an aluminum brewing element, which isn't as efficient as a copper element. And that's the reason for cold coffee and the scaling issue. I'm returning my coffee maker using the American Express return guarantee.

davcrag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davcrag

You guys talked me out of this one! Not pulling the trigger on $130 coffee pot with a 50/50 chance of success!

remichel wrote:I ordered this pot last time (just prior to Christmas) and had to send back the original after one brew due to a constant de-scale message and cold coffee (temp. 140). I received a replacement refurbished unit from Breville and the temperature was a little better, but it was only about 160. Fresh brewed coffee should be brewed closer to 200 degrees. As I understand it, the Breville uses an aluminum brewing element, which isn't as efficient as a copper element. And that's the reason for cold coffee and the scaling issue. I'm returning my coffee maker using the American Express return guarantee.

Spankypants

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spankypants

CHOOSE CAREFULLY!
I bought one of these on Woot just before Christmas.
Constantly stops brewing to display the "Change Filter" message. I don't like standing there watching the coffee brew, but I have to in order to adjust the coffee filter and re-start the machine. Forget about using the automatic start feature - the "Change Filter" message usually interrupts the process.
Had to "de-scale" machine after two pots of coffee.
Haven't used the grinder, and temperature is fine, but total lack of dependability with filter messages leaves me thinking this was a bad purchase. I'll be sending it back.
Hope you get a better machine than I did!

wschloss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wschloss
thumperchick wrote:All the perks of fresh ground and french press, without taking up all of my counter space? AND a good cup of coffee? I may have to look into this.

Mine works fine (after I returned one that had problems - they actually got a new refurb to me in less than a week). The problem is I like to use the timer and the strength of the coffee is over the top - like much stronger than a cup bought at Starbucks. It uses a ton of coffee compared to my Krups KM7000 I've retired, and I have it on the lowest, mild setting. I sent the first one back partially because I thought this was one of the defects.

So every morning I start it manually on the mild setting - filled with 4 cups of water - and as soon as the burr grinder stops I add 4 more cups of water to the reservoir. (sometimes 6 and then 6) My coffee still comes out stronger than Starbucks.

I'm still thinking about whether or not I want to try to return it. While there are a lot of good points, the fact that the amount of water you put in determines the amount of coffee ground and you can't otherwise adjust the amount of coffee to be ground is not good.

jaykern215

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaykern215

I also got one last time around and could write the identical review- pros and cons. I think this is the best coffee I've ever had.

scottycameron wrote:I got one last time they were offered and have been enjoying the best brewed coffee of my life since.

Pros -
Great coffee
Built like a tank
Intuitive controls
About as quiet as a burr grinder can be
Can use pre-ground coffee too

Cons-
Huge, this thing is massive and barely fits under our cabinets, short people might have a hard time filling the water tank and possibly the bean hopper

High maintenance, I take 5-7 minutes every day to clean all of the moving pieces. Fine now but this might get old after a year or two. Maybe I'll pen my first novel, "Zen and the Art of Coffee Brewer Maintenance"?

No heated carafe. Fine for my wife and me but some people might like 9 hour old hot coffee. The insulated carafe does keep the coffee hot for a few hours.

To me this was a steal, blows my old Bunn out of the water. Get some quality beans, experiment with the many settings and enjoy some fine java.

pcrockett83

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pcrockett83

I got one of these the last time it was on Woot. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, because I haven't had any problems with mine, and I've been very pleased with it. It makes the second-best coffee I've ever had (I also have an Aeropress). It's true that the Breville is large, but I find that it takes up less counter space than having a separate grinder and coffee maker.

I did have some problems initially with my coffee not being hot as I like it, but I solved that by getting a better insulated mug.

maeder

quality posts: 9 Private Messages maeder

This is rather similar to the Cuisinart Grind and Brew which can be had for $100, so my question is why this?

Cuisinart DGB 650BC Thermal Automatic Coffemaker

borisgoodenough

quality posts: 4 Private Messages borisgoodenough

Also purchased one last time, to retire an old Capresso. Sipping a cup of truly excellent, hot coffee as I type.

We haven't experienced any of the other issues cited here, but a different one -- the clock loses about a minute a day, meaning that it needs a periodic reset so that the coffee is ready when we are in the morning. We phoned Breville customer service. This is apparently a "known" problem, and they promised a replacement when new electronic modules arrive -- in a few months. Am dubious, because warranty will have expired by then. But taking my chances, because it's a minor annoyance compared with the superb, perfectly balanced quality of the coffee.

onsitestudios

quality posts: 1 Private Messages onsitestudios

I was very interested until I read the comments on Amazon - epecially the 1-star reviews - common themes: non-adjustable grinder produces a coarse grind and wastes coffee and makes 155° coffee - should be at least 20° higher.

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BDC600XL-YouBrew-Coffee-Maker/product-reviews/B005I710MW/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

This could be a dream machine for me too; grind & brew, 12-cup thermal carafe, and programmable.

bsirvio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsirvio

I picked this up last time it was out here (and more expensive...grrrr....) and have been very pleased with it. The carafe keeps coffee hot for 36 hours (seriously) and it produces an excellent cup of coffee. I seldom use the burr grinder, opting for the pre-ground selection and grinding with a [faster, quieter] Cuisinart grinder, but that's a noise thing, not a comment on the quality of the grinder.

All in all, and for the price, you won't find a better coffee machine. I'm pleased with all my Breville products.

Lars1y

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lars1y

Great coffee maker.
If you like strong coffee keep the bean hopper full. IF you like weaker coffee, just put the amount of coffee beans you desire to use in the hopper and enjoy.
Pros:
Hot fresh ground coffee
Pot keeps coffee hot for hours without using power to do so
programable so will make a pot as you get outta be
Tells you how long until coffee is done brewing
Have yet to have the chute clog during the grinding of the beans (have had other makers that have this problem)

Cons:
Hard to clean the pot between each brew
little complex on the programming side
Don't particularly love stainless steel and fingerprints, but this one not to bad

I have had for over 6 months and still loving it. will buy another but hopefully not for a long time.

orpheus922

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orpheus922
room209 wrote:Amazon reviews are mixed.

But over $200 new, I might pull the trigger on this badboy.

I bought this the last time it was on Woot. It is cheaper now, but using this fantastic coffee maker for a few extra months has been worth the extra couple of Hamiltons. If you want a great coffeemaker, this is the one to get. It actually keeps the coffee drinkable and hot for 10 hours+ without continuously heating it. The carafe is just unbelievably efficient. Buy this and enjoy yourself some great coffee.

scaldeddog79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scaldeddog79
maeder wrote:This is rather similar to the Cuisinart Grind and Brew which can be had for $100, so my question is why this?

I upgraded my grind and brew for this machine and I can say this one is ALOT easier to clean. The grind and brew allows the steam from the brewing process to get into the grind chamber. This turns the leftover grind dust into a sludge that is a pain to clean. The breville has a "door" that shuts after the grinding to keep it dry so you don't need to clean the grinder every pot.

Other points of note are that the breville is a burr grinder rather than a blade. Also the breville is a 12 cup machine vs 10, and you can also do single cup brews without needing the carafe.

I like this alot better than the grind and brew. I ordered it on the December deal and like alot of people I had a problem with my first machine. One day, after about a week of use, the machine just didn't power on anymore. Breville service was easy to work with. They send your replacement as soon as the return package is registered in FedEx's system. Turn around time was a about week.

orpheus922

onsitestudios wrote:I was very interested until I read the comments on Amazon - epecially the 1-star reviews - common themes: non-adjustable grinder produces a coarse grind and wastes coffee and makes 155° coffee - should be at least 20° higher.

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BDC600XL-YouBrew-Coffee-Maker/product-reviews/B005I710MW/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

This could be a dream machine for me too; grind & brew, 12-cup thermal carafe, and programmable.

This is a dream machine. I have no idea what the reviews are talking about in therms of the temperature, it is very hot and stays hot in the carafe for 10+ hours. In terms of the coarse grind, the machine uses the same process as a french press, where the grinds soak in the water so that you get a better and richer flavor. Fine grinds are better for drip machince. If you pre grind coffee, this machine will do that to, and operate like a drip. The benefit is, you get the richer french press flavor with a machine convenience. This machine produces the best tasing coffee.

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf

I wish woot would put up a Breville tea maker....

orpheus922

maeder wrote:This is rather similar to the Cuisinart Grind and Brew which can be had for $100, so my question is why this?

The Cuisinart does not handle as many sizes for single cups of coffee, nor does it have opions for smaller pot sizes. The breville alows fully customizable cup sizes or amounts to pour into the caraffe. Also, the Cuisinart is a drip machine. The breville can do drip-style coffee if you use pre-ground beans, but the whole-bean process is similar to drinking coffee made in a french press. There is a lot of customization in terms of how strong you'd like the coffee to be. The cuisinart is nice, but has far fewer options, more difficult cleanup, and makes less flavorful coffee.

jay3120

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jay3120
radi0j0hn wrote:"High maintenance, I take 5-7 minutes every day to clean all of the moving pieces."

Yep, as and old GF once asked of almost any kitchen gadget I looked at, "Is it hard to clean?"

She's long gone, but she has saved me thousands of dollars. Thanks sweetie!

It does not take that long to clean this machine daily. It takes a minute to clean the gold filter and black thing, and if you use paper filters, even quicker. Its the same time for every coffee maker.

The other parts need cleaned every once in a while, they are labeled "clean me" and breville makes sure they are removable parts.

orpheus922

cksphd wrote:Breville is an excellent brand. I have a Breville toaster, and it is built like an elegant tank. It makes absolutely perfect toast. The controls are extremely well thought out, and it is beautiful.

If the Breville coffee maker works as well and is constructed anything like the toaster, there is potential of a best of best.

I have a Breville convection oven. It looks great in the same kitchen as the Breville coffee maker. This is a great brand that makers super cool looking and reliable products.

orpheus922

jay3120 wrote:It does not take that long to clean this machine daily. It takes a minute to clean the gold filter and black thing, and if you use paper filters, even quicker. Its the same time for every coffee maker.

The other parts need cleaned every once in a while, they are labeled "clean me" and breville makes sure they are removable parts.

Also agree. I find this super easy to clean. Especially compared to some other coffeemakers I had that overflowed and shot coffee everywhere. This is about as easy to clean as I have ever seen, except maybe buying coffee at Sbucks or Dunkin.

jay3120

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jay3120
cristinamic11 wrote:please do tell...I don't have time for a dud or weak/cold coffee! "ain't nobody got time for that!"

I have never gotten a cold cup from this machine. In fact Breville makes sure of this by re-running the water in the lines to preheat it so that no cold water touches the coffee like other coffee machines, they also instruct you to preheat your single cups by filling it with hot water for 30 seconds. They are all about achieving the perfect taste and stuff. But I put cold creamer in the bottom of my single cup and it turns out great. As for the carafe, im not sure. I got the glass version with a heating plate (awesome, wont interfere with single cup or travel mug) so I cant comment on the metal one.

fritty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fritty

I bought this coffee maker last time it was offered here and haven't had a single problem with it - been using it daily with the timer feature so I get freshly ground and brewed hot coffee every morning. I did get a descale message after the first week - but I ran through the descale procedure and haven't gotten it again yet. I haven't had any issues with cleaning it. I also never realized what a difference a thermal pot would make - not having the coffee get 'cooked' even a little bit makes all the difference in flavor to me.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

I have a Breville refurb espresso machine I have had for 3 yrs with no problems so I feel this brand is pretty reliable. Just make sure this will fit under your cabinets if you are considering purchasing as it would not fit under mine.

dominyc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dominyc

Mine broke after 3 or 4 uses - terrible customer support at Breville USA.

ciswt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ciswt

I got this one from woot last time and it is amazing. I used to do the exact same method to brew coffee manually: boil water, grind beans, steep, pour through a drip filter. So this machine pretty much does all that for me with just a single button press.

I don't find the cleaning to be too difficult, but I only use the single cup setting. Perhaps it gets to be a chore when you brew a whole carafe (but I'm not sure why that would scale.)

Judging by the other reviews, I must be lucky that my tastebuds are calibrated the same as Breville's. My settings take the brew from way-to-strong to tastes-like-water. I prefer max-1 and the longest steep time.

One complaint is that the screen doesn't seem to turn off on its own (at least I can't figure out how to do it) which wastes 1.5W of power if you forget to turn it off.

And it would be nice if they could offer temperature control as another brewing parameter (a la clover: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/kitchen/clover-coffee-maker2.htm)

Misguided

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Misguided
borisgoodenough wrote:Also purchased one last time, to retire an old Capresso.

Same scenario. We've been very happy with ours. Got the rescale message the first time it was used (might have even been during a cleaning cycle), but haven't seen it sense.

It requires more cleaning than the capresso, but the larger hopper, bigger carafe, and stronger coffee all make up for that. Overall, I like the design quite a bit.