3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3535 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Very good reviews over at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-RM-BOV650XL-Certified-Remanufactured-Compact/dp/B0089XOIGM

KevinMCombes

quality posts: 14 Private Messages KevinMCombes

I have the full-size Smart Oven, and it is an amazing tool. However, I'd think twice about the compact because it lacks a convection fan. If you're doing mostly toasting and just a little baking, this will be great. If you want exceptional baking, go for the full-size.

Jester747

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jester747

We've had this for a couple of years now.
I don't really understand it... the toast that comes out of this oven is simply incomparable. "It's just toast" you might say. Yeah, that's what I thought. We bought it for reheating pizza, broiling sausages, and stuff like that (which it doers fantastically, btw) but the toast, wow! Bagels too.

Oh, my wife even uses it for baking when making multi-tiered cakes and the main oven is doing the big layer. Very stable temps, and we didn't really need convection on this one since we have it on the main one. Plus, this one is a good bit smaller.

Only cons are that the knobs feel a bit flimsy, but they work fine. And be careful when closing the door to bring it all the way up yourself since it sounds scary to just let it go and self-slam shut even if only a wee bit away from being closed.

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid

I bought the larger version of this when Woot sold it a few months ago and it's pretty amazing. I'm pretty happy with the pizzas I make... the crust doesn't char like it does in my regular oven with the awesome pizza stone Woot sold a year ago, but other than that it's perfect. Breville makes awesome stuff.

psumek

quality posts: 9 Private Messages psumek

Amazing item and great price. Breville's products are made solid and this is no exception. The larger smart oven gets all the attention, but honestly you can't go wrong here. Big enough for a fryer chicken, a pizza or some cookies. It's kinda perfect.

editorkid

KevinMCombes wrote:I have the full-size Smart Oven, and it is an amazing tool. However, I'd think twice about the compact because it lacks a convection fan. If you're doing mostly toasting and just a little baking, this will be great. If you want exceptional baking, go for the full-size.

I'm thinking out loud here, but I wonder if that might not be a big issue since the oven space is smaller. The full-size Smart Oven's space is huge to facilitate the airflow, but this just doesn't have all that dead space.

I've used the convection fan all of once... it shaved a minute or two off the pizza time, no difference otherwise.

MarthaJ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MarthaJ

I got the larger one from Woot a few months ago too - we absolutely love it!
Great product!!

JVRR

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JVRR

I have one of the larger models and it is fantastic. I wish I had the full size (only because when you open the door it automatically pulls out the tray).

I have owned my condo for a year, and yesterday my roommate had to show me how to turn the oven on because I have only used it once. With this Breville by my side I have needed my oven twice in an entire year. If it fits in the Breville there is no reason to use the full size oven.

Turc

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Turc

Looks good, but how hot does the door handle get?

russdog

quality posts: 4 Private Messages russdog

The earlier comment about toast is absolutely correct. We have the larger version of this oven, and the toast it makes is remarkable.

Now, if somebody told me that before we had the thing, I'd say something like, "How in the hell can toast be remarkable? Toast is toast." That's what I used to think, so if you're dubious about such a claim, I can certainly understand it.

But it's true anyway. Toast and PB, I eat more of it than I ever used to, and it's all the fault if the dang Breville toaster oven. Really, no kidding.

Russell L. Shackelford

shalaran

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shalaran

Here's a better amazon link with an active listing:

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV650XL-Compact-1800-Watt-Toaster/dp/B00357YS3A

Amazon is selling it new for 179.95
Woot: $90
used: 155
New: 170

traquy

quality posts: 51 Private Messages traquy

My Mom has this exact oven and I agree about the toast! I toasted my bagel in it every morning while I was visiting and it was perfect. It also made the most perfect cheese bread ever, and perfectly done pop-n-fresh biscuits. I am seriously considering this (probably will sell out while I'm mulling it over) but our current toaster oven is fairly new and works just fine. Hard to justify it.

russdog

Turc wrote:Looks good, but how hot does the door handle get?

Not an issue at all on the one we have, but it's the larger one. I assume the handles are pretty much the same, but I really don't know.

I was also kinda nervous about how hot the outside metal shell gets... can you put other things near it without worrying about them melting?, etc. That hasn't been a problem either. I make sure there's a couple inches of space next to it, and the items nearby don't even get very warm.

Russell L. Shackelford

editorkid

traquy wrote:My Mom has this exact oven and I agree about the toast! I toasted my bagel in it every morning while I was visiting and it was perfect. It also made the most perfect cheese bread ever, and perfectly done pop-n-fresh biscuits. I am seriously considering this (probably will sell out while I'm mulling it over) but our current toaster oven is fairly new and works just fine. Hard to justify it.

Plus it's the only thing that's ever toasted my hamburger rolls and hot dog buns right. Everything else... patchy. The Smart Oven... one golden brown from edge to edge.

wootshoop

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootshoop

So...we don't have air conditioning, and in the hot, humid summers I hate to fire up the oven. Would this be the answer, or would the larger model be more serviceable?

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

I enthusiastically recommend the Breville toaster ovens!

I bought the largest version about six weeks ago and it makes truly unbelievable toast, the best toasted bagels I've ever eaten, crispy, flakey breakfast pastries, etc.

Breville has some sort of secret (or group of secrets) that other manufacturers are in the dark about--or don't give a fig about emulating Breville's performance.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

yellowrose3502

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yellowrose3502

where is this oven made?

Brenda G Chan

russdog

wootshoop wrote:So...we don't have air conditioning, and in the hot, humid summers I hate to fire up the oven. Would this be the answer, or would the larger model be more serviceable?

Think about what you'd use it for. The bigger one can replace your std. oven for use with more stuff. But nobody else here knows what you're likely to try to put in it.

Russell L. Shackelford

wootshoop

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootshoop

Comparing the dimensions of the Breville full size and compact ovens, there is little difference in the size, and the wattage is the same. Is the convection feature the big selling point for the full sized oven? Is it worth the extra moola?

For the price, this oven seems like a great deal.

luk3d4wg

quality posts: 6 Private Messages luk3d4wg
russdog wrote:Not an issue at all on the one we have, but it's the larger one. I assume the handles are pretty much the same, but I really don't know.

I was also kinda nervous about how hot the outside metal shell gets... can you put other things near it without worrying about them melting?, etc. That hasn't been a problem either. I make sure there's a couple inches of space next to it, and the items nearby don't even get very warm.

The handle on this doesn't get at all hot. HOWEVER, pretty much every other part of the exterior, including the glass and all of the metal, get VERY hot. I've burned myself on the glass as well as the back edge of the oven after toasting something. Leave a little room around the edges, use your Ove Glove™ when opening, and consider getting the specially made cutting board that sits on top of this oven (http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV650CB-Cutting-BOV650XL-Compact/dp/B003LYZZ8Y) as it would allow you to keep stuff on top.

Also, the full size version of this oven is HUGE as far as toaster ovens go, so don't even think about it unless you have lots of counter space. Otherwise the only real differences are that this one doesn't do convection or have interior lights. I don't really miss either option and it still cooks like a total boss. This has completely replaced my old toaster as well as my full-size oven, which I only use when a pan won't fit into this one or it's already in use, since this one cooks better.

Turc

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Turc
russdog wrote:Not an issue at all on the one we have, but it's the larger one. I assume the handles are pretty much the same, but I really don't know.

Awesome! This is sounding better and better. Thanks for the info!

russdog

wootshoop wrote:Comparing the dimensions of the Breville full size and compact ovens, there is little difference in the size, and the wattage is the same. Is the convection feature the big selling point for the full sized oven? Is it worth the extra moola?

For the price, this oven seems like a great deal.

I just asked my bride about this. (I can cook OK, but she's a pro.) We have the bigger one. She said she loves it, says it does everything it's supposed to do. Our main oven bit the dust about a year ago, and it took us a few weeks to decide what to get to replace it. In the interim, she used it for everything. She said the only shortcoming was the physical size.

I asked about convection, she said it works great but added that it doesn't matter much to her. I asked if she would mind the small one. She said there's various things she makes for dinner that can be done in the larger one that she could not do in one batch in the smaller one.

She's picky about her kitchen tools... she doesn't care much what they look like but cares a whole lot about how they work. She's a fan of the big one, but guessed the small one would be OK if and only if she somehow couldn't have the bigger one.

Dunno if this helps any. My guess is that you like whichever one you have ;-)

The woot prices for these things are great compared to what we paid for a "refurb" (new) back-when...

Russell L. Shackelford

daniel940

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daniel940

Whoops - non-stick interior is a deal-breaker. If heating teflon kills pet birds, it can't be entirely safe.

martmann4

quality posts: 14 Private Messages martmann4

I bought a Factory reconditioned version of this model for $112 in October 2011 on Amazon, but returned it because it looked like it had been used for a while (still had lil bits o food on the grill).

I returned it, and spent $180 for a new one.

I use it at least once a day, it performs very well at all tasks, and cleans up pretty easy.

My previous toaster ovens ranged from $35-$100.

I do recommend getting the bamboo cutting board that fits nicely on top (Breville BOV650CB, for $30-35) because the top gets really HOT, and the cutting board keeps that from being a problem.

Learn how to post a link:
[url]THE WEB ADDRESS[/url]
11 extra keystrokes, that show you care.

http://www.woot.com/Forums/languages/en-US/docs/bbcode.aspx <Like that.

phargro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phargro

They say this is an 1800 watt oven which means you should be plugging it into 20 amp outlet make sure you have one in your kitchen. Most are 15 amp other than that they make a great product

zanne101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zanne101

I've had the larger version for a couple of years and use it every day. It's great in the summer when you don't want to heat up your kitchen. I never use my standard oven, just the Breville. Instead of the expensive cutting board for the top, I use part of a former bamboo dish rack - it came apart, so I trimmed the long pieces and it works great to keep things on the top, off the hot metal, and lets the air circulate.
Re pizza crisping, you can buy pizza screens at restaurant supply stores. They're available in different sizes.
BTW, regarding how huge it is compared to a regular toaster oven, it's not really a toaster oven, it's a countertop oven that does toast.

Honbee97

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Honbee97

I've been watching and wanting a Breville for some time, so I know this is a good price. Please note that while the larger and smaller versions are convection, this one is not. I'm hoping you get tha larger one in soon.

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm

We've had this toaster oven over a year. I don't understand the joy about toast. Sure, it's good for bagels, etc., but plain toast? No way! It sucks. It only toasts the top half and takes 3-4 minutes to do that for a single slice; far more for 2-4 slices!

I do not recommend this, even for the low price; we paid almost twice as much at Williams-Sonoma and are not happy campers.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

scapsinger

quality posts: 22 Private Messages scapsinger
phargro wrote:They say this is an 1800 watt oven which means you should be plugging it into 20 amp outlet make sure you have one in your kitchen. Most are 15 amp other than that they make a great product

Most homes built in the last 15-20 years have 20A for kitchen and bathroom circuits, to accomodate things like a microwave, toaster oven, hair dryer, etc.

Anyone who is uncertain about their amperage can simply open the breaker box....you'll see the amperage on the individual switches (15A and 20A mostly).

Simple math: in 120V areas (like the US) you've got 1800 watts on a 15A circuit. 15A x 120V = 1800W. For 20A, it's 20A x 120V = 2400W.

ChronoEnishi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ChronoEnishi

I bought this at Bed, Bath, & Beyond for about $160 (I think) and it's well worth it. Works great and I use it often. The digital readings & timer are nice. Can't go back to one of those cheap toaster ovens anymore.

wkearney99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wkearney99

I just got the 800 version of this and it's absolutely terrific. It'll handle 3 bagels at once (6 halves). The temps are very stable and the cooking is very even.

Yes, the outside of any toaster oven is going to get hot. Make sure to leave enough room around it on all sides (back included). About 2-3 inches is enough.

They make a cutting board with heat-resistant feet that can be placed on top of it. This works well too. It might also help if you needed to place the oven under cabinets that were a bit close.

Also note if you have dishes that are a bit cold in the cabinet (it's winter here) you can put them on top of the oven to warm them up while something's cooking.

Wanago

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wanago
Turc wrote:Looks good, but how hot does the door handle get?

It doesn't get hot at all. This is a great oven and a better deal, buy it!

rejiii

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rejiii

Half the price of a new one on Amazon & 4+ star rating. My experience with refurbs is they are like-new returned units that are great deals.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady
russdog wrote:I was also kinda nervous about how hot the outside metal shell gets... can you put other things near it without worrying about them melting?, etc. That hasn't been a problem either. I make sure there's a couple inches of space next to it, and the items nearby don't even get very warm.

The top surface does get hot, and the manual for the full size unit recommends its use as a plate warmer.

lroller

quality posts: 15 Private Messages lroller

We've had the larger version (850) for several years and purchased another a few months back on Woot. Breville makes well-designed products. For everyday cooking/baking this is all you need. A whole Thanksgiving turkey is another thing...but a turkey breast...it can handle. Another thing, many compact ovens say they can toast and don't. This one does.

albinosun

quality posts: 3 Private Messages albinosun

I, too, bought the larger model, Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven, over 2 years ago. I haven't used my full size oven since. True that it takes up a lot of counter space, but I use my regular oven for storage now so it works out. I have the Bamboo cutting board on top with my dutch oven sitting there. Aesthetically looks very nice on the counter and between this oven, microwave and my single portable induction burner cooktop, no heating up the kitchen (in Fla. that’s a plus) and there has been nothing I haven't been able to cook. Well, no full size turkey but then there is only 2 of us so I bake the breast in the Breville. The kid does cupcakes and cookies (takes longer because only one pan fits at a time) they come out beautiful. Mine has the fan but I really don't use it that much, haven't found where it made that much difference in bake time or bake quality. It takes a little bit to heat up before the timer beeps and starts to count down. I checked the oven temperature a couple of times with an oven thermometer, it takes awhile to come up to temp, even after the ready beep sounds but once there it maintains pretty well. The outside does get hot, have been burnt a few times when not paying attention, handle can get pretty warm to the touch. Most times I don't even preheat, I put the food in, turn on the oven, take a minute or 2 off the cook time and it comes out perfect. Augratin potatoes have the best browned top ever. Small roast, pork chops, fish--perfection. Pot Pies, wrap aluminum foil around the edge, comes out with super crispy crust. Bottom line, when this one eventually bites the dust, it will be replaced with same.

waterfall7

quality posts: 2 Private Messages waterfall7

Had this model for just over a year, it works great. We ate always finding new uses for it.

Great for pizza, a small batch of cookies or brownies. One of the nice features is the auto shutoff, you always know it is off.

The refurb at half the normal price is a great deal!

aderyn

quality posts: 10 Private Messages aderyn
scapsinger wrote:Most homes built in the last 15-20 years have 20A for kitchen and bathroom circuits, to accomodate things like a microwave, toaster oven, hair dryer, etc.

Anyone who is uncertain about their amperage can simply open the breaker box....you'll see the amperage on the individual switches (15A and 20A mostly).

Simple math: in 120V areas (like the US) you've got 1800 watts on a 15A circuit. 15A x 120V = 1800W. For 20A, it's 20A x 120V = 2400W.

Since my home is 120 years old, this is exactly the question I was going to ask! Thank you!

courtneycms88

quality posts: 1 Private Messages courtneycms88

I recently bought the Breville YouBrew from Woot and was excited to see the smart oven now offered. Woot, please keep the Breville products coming. This is my third Breville purchase, because I also own a juicer, and I cannot wait to own more. Superior quality and they all look beautiful on the countertop.