WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Totally Bamboo

OMG, have you SEEN these bamboo cutting boards? Jules keeps telling me about her plastic cutting board, but my bamboo ones are SOOOO much better. And then she complains that her plastic cutting board doesn't work as well, and I'm like, yeah, duh, it's not Totally Bamboo.

Quality Posts

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Finally, a nicely sized butchers block style cutting board. The Big Kahuna one looks perfect. Its $40 cheaper than Amazon's price and the REVIEWS are outstanding. Might just have to jump on this one.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

are these too hard for the japanese super powdered steel knives that can cut thru anything but will chip when it hits anything slightly hard?

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

Totally Bamboo brand products seem to all get excellent reviews over on Amazon. Woot's prices are all a couple bucks cheaper for the stuff they're offering today, too. Well, except for the knife block which is actually 31 cents more than "The Big River". Weird.

Knife Block - $19 Woot / $18.69 Amazon - 4.5 stars

Large Salt Box - $16 Woot / $17.51 Amazon - 4.5 stars

Martinique Cutting Board - $14 Woot / $18.81 Amazon No reviews.

Big Kahuna Cutting Board $100 Woot / $139.80 Amazon - 5 stars

Rectangular Butcher Block Cutting Board - $65 Woot / $79.75 Amazon - 4.5 stars

Crumb Catcher Cutting Board $24 Woot / $37 Amazon - 4.5 stars

Three-tiered Salt Box $13 Woot / $19.99 Amazon - 5 stars

Expandable Trivet $12 Woot / $16.99 Amazon - 4.5 stars

Texas Cutting Board $15 Woot / $24.99 Amazon - 4 stars

blackhorseusa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackhorseusa

Where's the UP? Incomplete Michigan cutting board.

Stupoopy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Stupoopy
blackhorseusa wrote:Where's the UP? Incomplete Michigan cutting board.

That's what I'm talkin about!

Make it into a cheese board or something!

I'm assuming these are made in china.

barefootbass42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barefootbass42

I got a set of these cutting boards last time they came around. Within a couple weeks, the split badly. Still usable, but seriously annoying. Maybe the plastic-backed one will hold together?

ledastray

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ledastray

Woot, help me here. How does the in-drawer knife block keep "15 knives organized"? Your photo shows 6 slots for small knives and 5 slots for large knives. Where would we put the other four?

BTW- we have a similar block and it is wonderful for keeping knives safe, organized, accessible, *AND* off the counter.

sdownin

barefootbass42 wrote:I got a set of these cutting boards last time they came around. Within a couple weeks, the split badly. Still usable, but seriously annoying. Maybe the plastic-backed one will hold together?

I think the previous cutting boards Woot had were "Core Bamboo" brand. This is a different brand.

I've had a couple cutting boards from the "True Bamboo" brand that's sold in Publix supermarkets and was impressed by their quality. So the actual brand is going to affect the product quality. More appropriately, the quality of the product is dependent on the quality of construction and the people that made it. The "Core Bamboo" boards that the gf bought did feel, well, cheap.

The "Totally Bamboo" brand seems pretty universally well reviewed by large numbers of reviewers which does lend creedence to the quality of the product, at least in my mind.

I could change my mind though, one my order arrives.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ledastray wrote:Woot, help me here. How does the in-drawer knife block keep "15 knives organized"? Your photo shows 6 slots for small knives and 5 slots for large knives. Where would we put the other four?

BTW- we have a similar block and it is wonderful for keeping knives safe, organized, accessible, *AND* off the counter.

I found this video review on Amazon helpful. It seems to depend on the width of your knife handles.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sixfofalcon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sixfofalcon

I've had the Big Kahuna for about a year now. It is even more beautiful now than the day it arrived.

One thing you should know is it's essentially going to be part of your countertop. It's way too heavy to move around before and after each use, and you are likely to smash your fingers badly if you try to wash it in the sink all the time.

I just wipe it down with a wet dishcloth after use. Maybe a scrub with a sudsy brush for stubborn food deposits. (Not that I've ever gone to sleep without cleaning up after dinner prep... no, not me, I'm a good husband.) After that a quick spray with a 1:1 vinegar & water solution to sanitize it, and a final wipe-down with a clean damp dishcloth.

Like any wooden cutting board, the occasional wipe-down with mineral oil is necessary maintenance. Maybe once a week at first and then once a month or whenever the surface looks like it's getting ashy. Use the stuff from the drugstore as it's identical to "cutting board oil" at about 1/10 the cost.

epsy06

quality posts: 3 Private Messages epsy06
Stupoopy wrote:That's what I'm talkin about!

Make it into a cheese board or something!

I'm assuming these are made in china.

I think using anything but the Wisconsin board for a cheeseboard would be a mistake.

ledastray

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ledastray
ThunderThighs wrote:I found this video review on Amazon helpful. It seems to depend on the width of your knife handles.

Width of your handles, depth of your blades, etc. Honestly this is marketing run-a-muck. Other brands of in drawer knife blocks would call this an 11 knife block (and leave it to the customer to decide that piling more on top is a good idea.)

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
barefootbass42 wrote:I got a set of these cutting boards last time they came around. Within a couple weeks, the split badly. Still usable, but seriously annoying. Maybe the plastic-backed one will hold together?

i guess you can still cook it and eat it.

nvaine

quality posts: 63 Private Messages nvaine

Um... I got the large salt box at Ross for $5. I'm just blown away that I actually got a good deal there. Woot!

rubysoho

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rubysoho

Who decided on on this random smattering of states? And are there really that many Michigan wooters that the Michigan board is already sold out?!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rubysoho wrote:Who decided on on this random smattering of states? And are there really that many Michigan wooters that the Michigan board is already sold out?!

I'm gonna say Totally Bamboo decided. I don't see many states on their site.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

zuiquan

quality posts: 23 Private Messages zuiquan

That always makes me mental. I especially love it when I'm looking at a map of N. America and it's not even on there, Lake Superior has apparently risen in height so much that the UP is underwater. Or even better when I'm looking at a map that has the states by color and it's part of Wisconsin. Of course, very few people even know what the UP is. I have wind chimes that have the UP as the wind catcher and people always ask if it's some sort of shark or something. Ugh.

stinhoutx

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stinhoutx

Totally Cool!!!!! Cutting boards shaped like states. Any chances of getting one shaped like Wyoming or Colorado?!?!

highonpez

quality posts: 7 Private Messages highonpez

I'm a little disappointed but mostly proud that the Wisconsin board is sold out already.

highonpez

quality posts: 7 Private Messages highonpez

Bam A little pricey, though.

vladistov

quality posts: 50 Private Messages vladistov

Be wary of the height on the Big Kahuna board. I'm personally comfortable working on lower counters, the standard 36-inches being about the limit for me as it is. If you're short, you could find the 2.25-inch lift quite uncomfortable; but then, if you're tall, it could improve your standard counter.

yekrubhpesoj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yekrubhpesoj

A California shaped cutting board is desired.

cleverett

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cleverett

I never realized that Martinique was rectangular with rounded corners. What are the odds that an island would be shaped like an iPad?

If Apple finds out, France will get hit with a huge patent-infringement lawsuit.

Figit090

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Figit090

I wish there were sales stats on this I want to see how many Texans buy that sucker!

I also wish there was auto notifications for threads so I didn't have to remember to check this later for replies.

Xiola

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xiola

You didn't put them in the dishwasher did you?

~X

grayj79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grayj79

Where is the upper peninsula on the Michigan cutting board?

ceagee

quality posts: 61 Private Messages ceagee

Just catching this and dang missed the triple salt holder. would be perfect as a jewelry box..... and with VD coming up.....

perhaps another time another gift opportunity will arise.

sdownin

ceagee wrote:Just catching this and dang missed the triple salt holder. would be perfect as a jewelry box..... and with VD coming up.....

perhaps another time another gift opportunity will arise.

If Woot worked this deal directly with the Totally Bamboo folks, I suspect we'll be seeing more Totally Bamboo products in future Woots, because we've done a mighty fine job selling these woots out.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

If folks want to come back when they get the boards and review, especially the bamboo polyboard, that'd be most appreciated.

Especially by me, as I was on the fence about that one and by the time I decided, of course, gone!

I'm just hanging out, really.

sdownin

inkycatz wrote:If folks want to come back when they get the boards and review, especially the bamboo polyboard, that'd be most appreciated.

Especially by me, as I was on the fence about that one and by the time I decided, of course, gone!

Mine JUST showed up from FedEx. I ordered the Polyboard, the Knife Block, and the Salt Box.

All three of them seem to be well constructed. The wood is heavy for its size, and is sanded smooth and is very nicely finished. The hinge on the salt box operates smoothly, and the magnet is weak but holds it closed nicely and is still easy to open. The polyboard is also heavy for its size, and the wood is finished just as nicely. The bamboo and the poly are glued together and also bound around the edges with a black plastic trim which should give some measure of moisture protection to the seam and seems tight enough that it ought to hold the board together even if the bamboo and poly start to become dis-bonded at any point down the road.