Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

dBs?

Ninkumpoop

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Ninkumpoop

Saw this on clearance (much cheaper than Woot) at a big, red, store the other day.

Serious question, why do people choose humidifiers with wicks? I have never had good luck with keeping them clean.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

LOLSHANTY

I'm reminded of Renn Faire acts.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3812 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

4 out of 5 stars over at the vornado website

http://reviews.vornado.com/1001/fd00e874-f42d-4eae-b28c-d819b1d0f4a5/evap2-humidifier-reviews/reviews.htm

Patsycar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Patsycar

I really like this. I picked up one of these in a Woot off last month and have had it running every day. I'm careful to keep it clean, as I read in comments at that time that mold was sometimes a problem. The low setting is quiet enough to keep it in the bedroom. My skin doesn't feel so dry.

The one negative thing about it is the awkward way you have to fill it. You have to remove the *tank* and turn it upside down to remove the stopper. But the thing is molded with curves everywhere so it doesn't set flat while you're trying to remove the stopper, fill the tank, or replace the stopper. Also the stopper is quite hard to remove and replace. I've discovered if I place it in the front of an open drawer, and close the drawer snugly while I remove the stopper, I can do it without the aid of another person. Also I use a jar opener to slowly remove the stopper.

acanarelli

quality posts: 263 Private Messages acanarelli

I bought this unit the last time Woot offered it about a 5 weeks ago. It happens that my doctor recommended I should get one and woot offered this unit the very next day. It's a great buy because one of the leading department stores get quite a bit more for the very same unit. My wife and I fell in love with the way it works from the very first day. No more dry mouth or getting up to get a drink in the middle of the night. We love this unit!

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Previous woot $10 more at $59.99
http://home.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5279093

and CowboyDann helped out then

CowboyDann wrote:For you Wooter I found you The Manual

acanarelli

quality posts: 263 Private Messages acanarelli
Ninkumpoop wrote:Saw this on clearance (much cheaper than Woot) at a big, red, store the other day.

Serious question, why do people choose humidifiers with wicks? I have never had good luck with keeping them clean.

In answer to your question, you don't need to clean them as you can change them quite easily at little expense.

jt12321

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jt12321
Ninkumpoop wrote:Saw this on clearance (much cheaper than Woot) at a big, red, store the other day.

I got this from woot on a moofi deal about 2 weeks ago, same price. In short, I wouldn't have bought now that I've taken it for a test drive. The unit is smaller than you'd expect, as is the water tank. It basically dribbles water into the base where the paper filter gets wet and as you said, it "wicks" the water up as the fan draws air through it. I found it did not "humidify" my living room as well as an old-school humidifier at all. It took almost 3 days to go through the 1 gallon tank. Furthermore, it is LOUD! The box says whisper quiet, but even on its lowest setting it was very loud. Someone said "dbs?" I'd say maybe 75-80 dbs on high. Not an option in the bedroom. Put it to you this way, if it's on the coffee table it will piss you off. If it's in the corner, maybe you can call it a white noise machine. Honestly, it's much louder than a regular "vornado fan". Despite the fancy humidity control I'd have to give it 2 out of 5 stars. It does what it claims, after all. But it's loud and inherently inefficient. I ended up coughing up 3 times the price and getting a 1.4 Gallon Sharper Image humidifier from one of those retail stores. It goes through the tank in 24 hours and suddenly, I'm not waking up with cotton-mouth from the dry heat anymore.

Patsycar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Patsycar
Patsycar wrote:I really like this. I picked up one of these in a Woot off last month and have had it running every day. I'm careful to keep it clean, as I read in comments at that time that mold was sometimes a problem. The low setting is quiet enough to keep it in the bedroom. My skin doesn't feel so dry.

The one negative thing about it is the awkward way you have to fill it. You have to remove the *tank* and turn it upside down to remove the stopper. But the thing is molded with curves everywhere so it doesn't set flat while you're trying to remove the stopper, fill the tank, or replace the stopper. Also the stopper is quite hard to remove and replace. I've discovered if I place it in the front of an open drawer, and close the drawer snugly while I remove the stopper, I can do it without the aid of another person. Also I use a jar opener to slowly remove the stopper.

Dear Mod, Thanks for my very first quality post.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Patsycar wrote:Dear Mod, Thanks for my very first quality post.

Thank YOU for the quality post!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

burtburt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages burtburt
ThunderThighs wrote:Thank YOU for the quality post!

No, thank YOU for thanking THEM for thanking you!

sodakar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sodakar

Bought it last time from woot, so the lower price is even nicer.

The fact that it's about the only humidifier that blasts humid air evenly throughout the room and has a humidity sensor to auto-stop makes it unique in its category.

That being said, some negatives:
1 - despite it coming with a humidity sensor, it seems to not be very accurate -- I have it set to stop at 40%, but 3 other hygrometers in the room say it's stopping at 50%.
2 - the tank, as others have noted, is an odd shape, and makes it tricky to fill and install back.
3 - the confirmation beep is pretty damn loud, which makes it a little less ideal for using in a nursery.

Still, those are slight annoyances at best -- it's still a great buy.

madbusch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madbusch

I have been waiting for these to come back on Woot and happily just bought a 2nd one for the house. We have an older wood home that is beyond dry in the winter and three pre-schoolers running around so our requirements were pretty simple - quiet, spill-proof, small footprint. And of course it needed to work well. This model is all of that and more - I'm not sure what other folks think of as loud, but all I am hearing is a small fan and the occasional drip of water from the unit. We have definitely felt more comfortable sleeping at night and as I said, I had been looking for more for the kids' rooms. As far as price, this by far the best deal I have seen online, and Woot shipping has been extremely speedy. Highly recommended!

rshaker2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rshaker2

I bought two during the last Woot and they work but makes they room colder so we aren't using them.

niftyfifty

quality posts: 14 Private Messages niftyfifty

Love it! Easy to fill, easy to carry, doesn't drip when changing the container after filling. Very well engineered and looks good to boot!It does what it's supposed to.....

niftyfifty

quality posts: 14 Private Messages niftyfifty

Previous comment from above:
Ok, so try this. Slip your hand through the handle, flip it over...it is now in the palm of your hand, remove stopper, hold under tap, replace stopper, flip right-side up, replace in unit. The stopper removes with two fingers with no force at all as it is inset, no screw bands.Move it 1/2 inch counter clockwise and it drops out, literally, replace by reversing the process.

dalb3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dalb3

I've had this for about a month now, and I have no complaints whatsoever. We use this every day, and if I had an extra $50 I would definitely buy a second one. It's a great unit! We have a Culligan Reverse Osmosis system attached to our kitchen sink, and we just fill the humidifier with the Culligan water. The filter still looks the same as it did when we got it!

Highly recommend!

hunter952

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hunter952

I would not recommend this if you have hard water in your area. I was using a wickless Vornado model and it filled the whole house with white powder. It was clogging my furnace filter so badly I had to change it every week. All my furniture have this ugly white powder on it. Cleaning the lime off the Vornado was impossible. I threw it out after 3 months.

skullwipe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skullwipe
jt12321 wrote:I got this from woot on a moofi deal about 2 weeks ago, same price. In short, I wouldn't have bought now that I've taken it for a test drive. The unit is smaller than you'd expect, as is the water tank. It basically dribbles water into the base where the paper filter gets wet and as you said, it "wicks" the water up as the fan draws air through it. I found it did not "humidify" my living room as well as an old-school humidifier at all. It took almost 3 days to go through the 1 gallon tank. Furthermore, it is LOUD! The box says whisper quiet, but even on its lowest setting it was very loud. Someone said "dbs?" I'd say maybe 75-80 dbs on high. Not an option in the bedroom. Put it to you this way, if it's on the coffee table it will piss you off. If it's in the corner, maybe you can call it a white noise machine. Honestly, it's much louder than a regular "vornado fan". Despite the fancy humidity control I'd have to give it 2 out of 5 stars. It does what it claims, after all. But it's loud and inherently inefficient. I ended up coughing up 3 times the price and getting a 1.4 Gallon Sharper Image humidifier from one of those retail stores. It goes through the tank in 24 hours and suddenly, I'm not waking up with cotton-mouth from the dry heat anymore.

I'd say you got a defective unit if you find it to be too loud on the low setting. I run my unit on low in my home office while I work, and it goes through just about a gallon a day.

Evaporative humidifiers
are semi self regulating in that the more humid the ambient air is, the slower the evaporation rate. This would imply that the air in your home isn't all that devoid of moisture.

Slacktron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Slacktron
hunter952 wrote:I would not recommend this if you have hard water in your area. I was using a wickless Vornado model and it filled the whole house with white powder. It was clogging my furnace filter so badly I had to change it every week. All my furniture have this ugly white powder on it. Cleaning the lime off the Vornado was impossible. I threw it out after 3 months.

This is where Wick (evap) and Wickless (ultrasonic) makes a big difference. Wick won't make white powder because the hard water deposits stay on the wick. Ultrasonic sends the "whole drop" out into the air to evaporate and the rest precipitates out. Wick units blow air over the wet wick, so only the water evaporates.

The down side is that the wick gets downright nasty. Ours got moldy and slimy within days.

Best solution so far is to use Reverse-Osmosis water in an ultrasonic.

jpsowin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jpsowin

What do you mean no one in Florida has bought one?!

;)

jkirkc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jkirkc

If you have very hard water & do not have a R/O or simliar water purification system it is very costly to keep the water refilled.