WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Chocolate Day!

The annual Chocolate Day is coming up -- or Valentine's Day, if you really want to call it that -- so stock up, fill the pantry, fill the fridge, even fill the freezer with chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. We're sure you care about your significant other very much, but we all know who you REALLY love: chocolate.

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Gatzby wrote:Feeling a little FOREVERALONE? Just remember that means not having to share the good chocolates.
I'm just hanging out, really.

MommaBeary

quality posts: 10 Private Messages MommaBeary

Is it safe to assume that "Artificial Color" on the Chocolate covered fruit include
Red Dye #40?

This dye is a HUGE no-no in my household, and it likes to hide everywhere.

tommytruffle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tommytruffle
MommaBeary wrote:Is it safe to assume that "Artificial Color" on the Chocolate covered fruit include
Red Dye #40?

This dye is a HUGE no-no in my household, and it likes to hide everywhere.

FDA approved Red 40 is in the cherry coloring, and if you have allergies to it I would avoid this product. FDA testing shows no harmful effects for vast majority of consumers.

There are no dyes of any kind in the Flurtles, Barking Almonds, or Toffees, so enjoy those if you love good chocolate without dyes!

MommaBeary

quality posts: 10 Private Messages MommaBeary
tommytruffle wrote:There are no dyes of any kind in the Flurtles, Barking Almonds, or Toffees, so enjoy those if you love good chocolate without dyes!

Thanks for the information!

You may be surprised at how many companies use Red Dye #40 even in straight Chocolate. (*sigh*)

Think I need to order me some Toffee :D

Bione

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Bione

These products are fine, but they are pretty overpriced for Woot! As an example, they are equivalent to Harry & David prices. I can get the chocolate-covered fruit, almond barks, and other goodies locally from Trader Joe's and other stores for ONE-THIRD the price, excluding shipping.

I know this won't add to my Quality Post count, but I'm really frustrated with the bargains-that-aren't that have been diluting the Woot goodness since Amazon took over.

kellyschoen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellyschoen

I can't wait to get my goodies in the mail. I love these chocolates so much. My family is going to be so happy and surprised when they arrive in their beautiful packaging and wonderful deliciousness Thank you for making such a wonderful product.

eblose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eblose

I've had cherries and blueberries from Harry and David. They aren't the same, and they aren't as good--part with some cash and try these you won' regret it. No citric acid to tart them up. Sublime. The guy in our office is from Pittsburgh and brings 'em up here whenever he goes back home.

purplefeather

quality posts: 8 Private Messages purplefeather

I love me some toffee, but I'm annoyed that there's dark chocolate in there. Why not offer some unmixed options for those of us who hate dark chocolate?

tommytruffle

purplefeather wrote:I love me some toffee, but I'm annoyed that there's dark chocolate in there. Why not offer some unmixed options for those of us who hate dark chocolate?

As a purposeful strategy we have one of the smoothest, least-bitter dark chocolates out there. The light coating of dark (about 58% cocoa) is on the pistachio toffee as an accent. I'll bet you will agree it is a very appealing combination once you've snapped off a piece.

They also make a nice presentation on a serving dish beside each other, milk & dark. We will separate them for the purists out there next time through, if Woot! wants to do it... Thanks!

gina3graces

quality posts: 38 Private Messages gina3graces

I'm such a devoted Candy Basket buyer but I love the way the shop-keeper for this chocolate line is answering questions so professionally and kindly that it has instilled my faith enough to purchase 3 boxes!

I wish Woot would answer my email to them about why the code for taxsucks doesn't work any longer for those of us in states that get charged tax. That little $5 means so much to so many and now every time I use it on VERY LARGE purchases, it simply doesn't work. Woot, please tell us why it doesn't work.

brittanneblose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brittanneblose

Had to go for The Works! Everything looks so luscious. Even more on atasteofchocolate.com - but Woot prices are great.

hmallak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmallak
Bione wrote:These products are fine, but they are pretty overpriced for Woot! As an example, they are equivalent to Harry & David prices. I can get the chocolate-covered fruit, almond barks, and other goodies locally from Trader Joe's and other stores for ONE-THIRD the price, excluding shipping.

I know this won't add to my Quality Post count, but I'm really frustrated with the bargains-that-aren't that have been diluting the Woot goodness since Amazon took over.

I'm a bigtime fan of trader joes and so are many friends and coworkers. Cute packaging, decent enough tasting chocolates - actually some they nail some pretty well. But this holiday season I wanted to get something special and unique - artisan. We purchased dozens of packages of cherries and blueberries to give as gifts. You don't need the holidays for a reason to stock up. Months prior we had ordered a handful of the smaller packages - they made great accompaniments to a bottle of wine to take to a dinner party!

polkastria

quality posts: 6 Private Messages polkastria
purplefeather wrote:I love me some toffee, but I'm annoyed that there's dark chocolate in there. Why not offer some unmixed options for those of us who hate dark chocolate?

I'm with you.. Dark chocolate gives me nasty headaches so I can't have it at all. Still tempted on this and thinking about getting it and giving the Dark chocolate to the husband. But the price.... I may give it a pass this time since I'll only get half.

richeyo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richeyo

Where’s their chocolate dipped bacon--their store used to have it. It actually tastes great!

ashleybateman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashleybateman

I've had the flurtles before and they are absolutely delicious. What better excuse to stock up than a special price around Valentines Day?

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind

Tempting, but unless you spring for "The Works" I'm not sure if the prices are quite good enough to make it a really solid Woot! deal.
Are these sufficiently superior in quality and taste to be worth it in comparison to the other options?

ceagee

quality posts: 61 Private Messages ceagee

Hi Tommytruffle. Are you still around ?
some questions for you .
Do you make the fruit morsels yourself ? (some very nice candy places actually buy them wholesale and repackage)
What kind of cherries are in them?
You state "michigan"
They have sweet kinds and tart kinds.

I'm kinda hooked on these things. I don't like the ones by Harry and David. I do like the bing cherry ones from Seattle Gourmet. Sconza will do in a pinch , but they are much sweeter candy on them.

Just wondering where your fruit falls. : )

Cheers !

tkoniecz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tkoniecz

This stuff is delish!!!!!!

gtallen1187

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gtallen1187

i can't believe this is on here!! my friend showed me ATOC last month and i have been hooked ever since. thanks woot!!

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
gina3graces wrote:I'm such a devoted Candy Basket buyer but I love the way the shop-keeper for this chocolate line is answering questions so professionally and kindly that it has instilled my faith enough to purchase 3 boxes!

These are not made by Candy Basket

EDIT: Oh, re your taxsucks question - you should go to deals.woot and click on "ask the community" then do a search for "tax" or "taxsucks" as it has probably been addressed more than once over there

EDITx2: I did the search for you Click Here for results!

mkmarland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mkmarland

Best chocolate out there. I love this stuff particularly the chocolate covered blue berries. I just bought a few for my customers for the chocolate holiday. Can't go wrong here

rodier24

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rodier24

Love this chocolate especially the toffee. Perfect crunch and flavor. Bought some from a co-worker's daughter selling them for her school fundraiser.

clamsauce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clamsauce

Awww yeaaaah. Can't wait to give this big ol' box of flurtles to my girlfriend and then eat all of them myself (ok maybe she can try one). In all seriousness if you're not giving or eating flurtles this V-Day then f*** you!!

kmartind

So, the chocolate is probably good and all, but I'm starting to see a somewhat disproportionate number of recently-joined, single-posters suddenly praising it; more so than with other similar offers in the past. While local word of mouth may well have driven a few new customers to Woot!, many of us have been around long enough to be at least a little suspicious of possible astroturfing.

Hippie2MARS

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hippie2MARS

Valentine's Day is DONE, baby! (I just hope they live up to my high expectations. I am a "turle" connoisseur!)

tommytruffle

ceagee wrote:Hi Tommytruffle. Are you still around ?
some questions for you .
Do you make the fruit morsels yourself ? (some very nice candy places actually buy them wholesale and repackage)
What kind of cherries are in them?
You state "michigan"
They have sweet kinds and tart kinds.

I'm kinda hooked on these things. I don't like the ones by Harry and David. I do like the bing cherry ones from Seattle Gourmet. Sconza will do in a pinch , but they are much sweeter candy on them.

Just wondering where your fruit falls. : )

Cheers !

Hi Ceagee,

Sorry it took me a bit to respond, been jumpin' here.

Great ingredients make a difference. I prefer a less sweet taste and a bit more smooth chocolate flavor. We use the red tart Michigan cherries, which can sometimes be a challenge (the last two cases took me to southern Ohio to get 'em Monday). Michigan had a bad freeze last spring, and they are quite dear.

I think the blueberries and cherries will please your palate. I have to say we get a lot of people hooked on the subtle, not-too-sweet character.

procop

quality posts: 1 Private Messages procop
tommytruffle wrote:FDA approved Red 40 is in the cherry coloring, and if you have allergies to it I would avoid this product. FDA testing shows no harmful effects for vast majority of consumers.

It worth nothing the artificial coloring is FDA approved.
Artificial colorings provoke ADD in kids and contain ingredients linked to cancer.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/445428-is-red-40-food-coloring-dangerous-to-your-health/

It's regrettable otherwise great and delicious product uses this poison.

kmartind

procop wrote:It worth nothing the artificial coloring is FDA approved.

It's actually worth a lot. They put a great deal of research (and money) into sorting out the truth from the rumor and focusing on the sound and well-executed studies while eliminating the flawed and biased ones wherever possible. They've taken on big business and won on many many occasions. They aren't perfect but certainly better than random alarmist websites.
Granted, there is some evidence that a small minority of children may be sensitive to chemical dyes and there are also some people who are allergic to them (just as there are people allergic to a variety of natural and otherwise wholesome substances). However, after several in-depth reviews over the years, experts still conclude they are safe for the vast majority of people and in the amounts typically found in actual foods:
"Both the FDA and the (EFSA) independently... concluded that the study does not substantiate a link between the color additives that were tested and behavioral effects." http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodIngredientsPackaging/ucm094211.htm#qahyper

It's regrettable otherwise great and delicious product uses this poison.

Calling it "poison" is both a blatantly false, and completely unsubstantiated statement.

My take is that (with a few exceptions for those with extreme sensitivity) if your kids are eating enough of these types of sweets/processed/packaged foods on a regular basis for the dye to be a major problem, you really need to take a MUCH broader look at their diets than just the artificial coloring.
Focusing on one or a few, reportedly "bad" but generally recognized as safe, ingredients is a completely backward approach.
Instead you should look at nutrition as a whole. If you have a chocolate or two every so often, that's perfectly fine in the context of an otherwise healthy diet, but if you have Froot Loops for breakfast, fast food for lunch, Skitt1es for a snack, Chef Boyardee and Cheetos for dinner, and then eat the whole bag of chocolate cherries, you're going to have a problem, whether the cherries have a tiny amount of red dye or not.

ceagee

kmartind wrote:So, the chocolate is probably good and all, but I'm starting to see a somewhat disproportionate number of recently-joined, single-posters suddenly praising it; more so than with other similar offers in the past. While local word of mouth may well have driven a few new customers to Woot!, many of us have been around long enough to be at least a little suspicious of possible astroturfing.

yeah, I noticed that too.

ceagee

tommytruffle wrote:Hi Ceagee,

Sorry it took me a bit to respond, been jumpin' here.

Great ingredients make a difference. I prefer a less sweet taste and a bit more smooth chocolate flavor. We use the red tart Michigan cherries, which can sometimes be a challenge (the last two cases took me to southern Ohio to get 'em Monday). Michigan had a bad freeze last spring, and they are quite dear.

I think the blueberries and cherries will please your palate. I have to say we get a lot of people hooked on the subtle, not-too-sweet character.

Thank you for answering.

Jeviala

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jeviala
kmartind wrote:Tempting, but unless you spring for "The Works" I'm not sure if the prices are quite good enough to make it a really solid Woot! deal.

Yeah, I find it interesting that "the Works" is one of everything and is now sold out 8am est, but there is still available individual packages, which altogether is $18 more. You'd think that if there is still all the individual packages available, they could create more "Works".

mbnva

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mbnva

What in the milk chocolate are you thinking without dark chocolate woot? you are a sinful sinful company

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
kmartind wrote:So, the chocolate is probably good and all, but I'm starting to see a somewhat disproportionate number of recently-joined, single-posters suddenly praising it; more so than with other similar offers in the past. While local word of mouth may well have driven a few new customers to Woot!, many of us have been around long enough to be at least a little suspicious of possible astroturfing.

Yes, over a dozen wooters in this thread who just joined woot in the last couple days and have exactly 1 woot purchase, all raving about the chocolates and another with zero who claims to have bought "dozens" of packages of the cherries and blueberries being offered. Hmmm....

kmartind

Jeviala wrote:Yeah, I find it interesting that "the Works" is one of everything and is now sold out 8am est, but there is still available individual packages, which altogether is $18 more. You'd think that if there is still all the individual packages available, they could create more "Works".

The "Works" bundle did seem like the best deal (if you want all of it), but I can see how they might want to set aside plenty of the individual products to allow for people who only want one or two products; and with the bundle having a steeper discount it also seems reasonable to have a limit on those.
Or a certain number of the bundles might be packed up and ready to ship already. If so, building more of the bundles could involve extra effort at a busy time. I assume adding more would also require additional communication (and possibly negotiation) with Woot! since the initial agreement might have been for specific quantities of each item, etc.

lala412

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lala412

I'm a new Woot! user and this chocolate immediately caught my eye. I'm always looking for something new to give as gifts and these "Flurtles" seem to fit the bill. Going to give them a try! They sound more fun than turtles anyway.

shortman

quality posts: 39 Private Messages shortman

I'm a long time wooter, but have no prior experience with this company. I just ordered some Chocolate Morsels of fruit, so I'll be able to give a legit review for their next sale. I hope I really love them as much as the new reviewers claim to.

oonly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oonly

The product description mentions Valentines day and it was for this reason I made the purchase. Still has not shipped. Any idea if there is a chance I will see this order on the 14th?

update:Shipped today. Looks like it will arrive on the 13th

Smileeko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Smileeko
oonly wrote:The product description mentions Valentines day and it was for this reason I made the purchase. Still has not shipped. Any idea if there is a chance I will see this order on the 14th?

That was the same reason I ordered this too! Shipment time frame please?

*edit* Just received my shipment confirm too. Should arrive by tomorrow. Awesome!

Sablerose

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sablerose

Just received my chocolate covered morsels. Alas, I ordered 2, there's only one tracking number, and I only got one set in the box. Sent an email to support. But, I did get one of them by V-day, now we'll hope I could possibly get the other.