• 21.4% - Cat(s) 322
  • 0.9% - Bird(s) 14
  • 1.9% - Fish(ies) 28
  • 0.4% - Hamster(s) 6
  • 0.7% - Micro pig(s) 11
  • 21.2% - A combo of the above 320
  • 1.9% - Other (comments, please) 29
1506 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

technomouse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages technomouse

Giant dust bunnies

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Snake, and two dogs that are not mine.

ellerythecelery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ellerythecelery

A parakeet (yellow and adorable) and a duck (who lives indoors at night and runs our lives more than we run hers). I'm surprised so few people who responded to this poll are bird owners! Birds make for awesome -- and ceaselessly entertaining -- pets.

sarahjeanna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sarahjeanna

i have chickens, finches, and a dog.. in the past ive had stick bugs, hermit crabs and lots and lots of fish

GetOffMyLawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GetOffMyLawn

Parrots
Fish
Aquatic snails
Shrimp
Cats
Dogs
oh my!

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl
ellerythecelery wrote:A parakeet (yellow and adorable) and a duck (who lives indoors at night and runs our lives more than we run hers). I'm surprised so few people who responded to this poll are bird owners! Birds make for awesome -- and ceaselessly entertaining -- pets.

Birds annoy many of us with their CEASELESS entertainment, and unfortunately, they are also one of the filthiest creatures you could own. They are usually up in a cage, and as they clean (when they're taking a break from entertaining), their dander and all the microbes residing with it, fly all over the house. It infiltrates the air you breathe and can spread disease. Of course, some people are perfect bird owners, and so if that is what makes you happy, go for it! ;) I love to watch them outside... Our hammock is set up so that we can watch the family of falcons in a tree over our house. I also have a bird feeder outside.

As for me, we have a dog that we chose, and apparently some pets that have chosen us:
A family of skunks that has taken up residence beneath our house (the dog has only been sprayed once luckily), and a random feral cat (more of a mini panther if you ask me), that will cry and cry outside the door. I made the mistake of opening it one time. Dude jumped on my bed and wouldn't leave. I had to get food to coax him out. Outside, he'll be the sweetest thing, and the next minute, decide to "hug" your leg... With all of it's panther claws. We also have some frogs that live on the front porch, and a lizard that lives out there too, that actually keeps trying to run in the house. Twice we didn't see him, and his tail was shortened by the closing door... Good thing they grow back. The raccoons on the back deck that peek in the window at me can go away as far as I'm concerned. I don't know what it is about my house that attracts all these creatures, but it's certainly strange... We don't leave food out (except a little bird food, and the garden), but do live near a creek... I love seeing the deer out the windows in the morning.

searchneverend

quality posts: 2 Private Messages searchneverend

does the fish i ate earlier counts as a pet??? i mean after all its still in my stomach, somewhere lol

blaisedaddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blaisedaddy

I have a dwarf bunny who has a taste for the buttons on the remote control. aside from that she is a good pet.

bsanf3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsanf3

No reptiles or Sea Monkeys

slavnar

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slavnar
wingedsurfgirl wrote:Birds annoy many of us with their CEASELESS entertainment, and unfortunately, they are also one of the filthiest creatures you could own. They are usually up in a cage, and as they clean (when they're taking a break from entertaining), their dander and all the microbes residing with it, fly all over the house. It infiltrates the air you breathe and can spread disease. Of course, some people are perfect bird owners, and so if that is what makes you happy, go for it! ;) I love to watch them outside... Our hammock is set up so that we can watch the family of falcons in a tree over our house. I also have a bird feeder outside.

As for me, we have a dog that we chose, and apparently some pets that have chosen us:
A family of skunks that has taken up residence beneath our house (the dog has only been sprayed once luckily), and a random feral cat (more of a mini panther if you ask me), that will cry and cry outside the door. I made the mistake of opening it one time. Dude jumped on my bed and wouldn't leave. I had to get food to coax him out. Outside, he'll be the sweetest thing, and the next minute, decide to "hug" your leg... With all of it's panther claws. We also have some frogs that live on the front porch, and a lizard that lives out there too, that actually keeps trying to run in the house. Twice we didn't see him, and his tail was shortened by the closing door... Good thing they grow back. The raccoons on the back deck that peek in the window at me can go away as far as I'm concerned. I don't know what it is about my house that attracts all these creatures, but it's certainly strange... We don't leave food out (except a little bird food, and the garden), but do live near a creek... I love seeing the deer out the windows in the morning.

As opposed to cats and dogs who spread their hair and dander everywhere? At least the birds mess can be confined in one place.

I own cats, dogs and a pair of parrots. All have their upsides. The worst part about owning birds, can be the noise.

aerosync

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerosync

9 Chickens

troublewithacapitalt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages troublewithacapitalt

4 cats
2 dogs
2 bunnies
1 flying squirrel
1 guinea pig
and
2 yard apes

kylecountryman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecountryman

Currently we have two Dogs and a 9 month old. All three are sort of like pets.

I've had turtles, dogs, ducks, fish, jellyfish, crabs, snails, macaw, etc.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Life begins when the kids move out and the pet dies. Freedom.

SumDuud

quality posts: 22 Private Messages SumDuud

2 dogs
2 cats
1 ball python

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

galacticpapa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages galacticpapa

Three small-ish frogs.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

Poll: Pets?

Mice! all over the houce.... some pet

pagancelt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pagancelt

1 Ferret
1 PacMan Frog
1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
1 Red-Nosed Pit Bull
1 Siamese Cat
1 Carpet Monkey

jackw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackw

It -WOULD- be a dog, but currently my career doesn't allow enough time to take care of one. Maybe when I retire.

I live the way I type, FAST, with a lot of mistakes.

nickym

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nickym

One adorable Hedgehog named "Hank" and two cats named Menssah and Sophie. I love my animals. And the parents have an English Bulldog named Daisy

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester
aerosync wrote:9 Chickens

Yay! Another chicken owner :-).

I have 13 chickens...outside, and one that lives inside. (She's blind and the others picked on her).

Then there's my 5 cats who hog the couch and loveseat. ugh.

nanderhoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nanderhoff
blaisedaddy wrote:I have a dwarf bunny who has a taste for the buttons on the remote control. aside from that she is a good pet.

2 bunnies here; also lovers of remote buttons

JRRB

quality posts: 34 Private Messages JRRB

Currently just one aging cat -- the survivor of a pair adopted as kittens.

My first pet as a child was a guine pig. I have also had dogs (mutt, German Shepherd, and Mini Schnauzer), parakeets, ducks, and other assorted cats (all moggies). My sister's pets were more exotic and included an iguana and a chincilla, so I have had experience with those as well.

My favorite pets are still cats. I'm a little worried about what my son might be interested in as his first pet when he's older. He loves to watch animal shows.

bigfatnerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigfatnerd

Two dogs
Three chickens
One honeybee hive

jacylrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacylrin

Dogs, cats, and hermit crabs.

daughterjudy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages daughterjudy
ellerythecelery wrote:A parakeet (yellow and adorable) and a duck (who lives indoors at night and runs our lives more than we run hers). I'm surprised so few people who responded to this poll are bird owners! Birds make for awesome -- and ceaselessly entertaining -- pets.

Don't forget the ones who voted for the combo! I have a parakeet as well as an assortment of dogs and cats.

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo

Yeasties, as I call them.

My ongoing brewing colony of yeasties are my pets.
They party when I give them sugar to eat, then they give me alcohol and CO2 in return.
They don't take up much space, and they reproduce and die off, quickly, so that there are not that many old ones around for too long.
Oh, and did I tell you I have millions of them? They all fit in a quart bottle.
I have had many generations of them for quite a long time now.

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

I just had to reply to this. I chose the cats only option because that's the category that we NOW fall into. Our very very beloved black lab, who was nearly 10 years old, passed away last night. Her name was Pandora. My husband and I each laid on a side of her and she snuggled her face into my husband's arm and then she was gone. We now have our black cat, Luna. Who, despite being a boy, we cannot convince our three year old of this and she insists on calling him "her".

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
ladyloerya wrote:I just had to reply to this. I chose the cats only option because that's the category that we NOW fall into. Our very very beloved black lab, who was nearly 10 years old, passed away last night. Her name was Pandora. My husband and I each laid on a side of her and she snuggled her face into my husband's arm and then she was gone. We now have our black cat, Luna. Who, despite being a boy, we cannot convince our three year old of this and she insists on calling him "her".

So sorry for your loss!

I'm just hanging out, really.

akm325

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akm325

Ferrets!!!!

I've adopted three over the years. Honey, Rickey and Victor. Too smart for their own good.

Also have a dog, a baby and a husband but they aren't as entertaining.

jensauerkraut

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jensauerkraut

6 cats plus 3 ferals outside that I feed
1 lackluster weimaraner
1 hive of bees
1 chubby spouse.

I would like to have chickens but the county I live in equates home coops with illegal immigrants so now no one can have them. But I think I can buy guns at Wal-mart, so there's that.

lakelady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lakelady

3 dogs, 2 cats, several fish and assorted mice that must be pets because the cats refuse to eliminate them

BlutoBird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlutoBird

Blue Crown Conure, here.
Birds rule!

dnlkolender

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dnlkolender

You are so right! I look forward to raising a duck myself some lovely day ;D

dnlkolender

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dnlkolender
sarahjeanna wrote:i have chickens, finches, and a dog.. in the past ive had stick bugs, hermit crabs and lots and lots of fish

Walking Sticks are quite cool, but not 'bugs' as they are not a pest...

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Over the years we have had a wide variety of pets; birds, a hedgehog, assorted rodents, an iguana, rabbits, etc. but now it's just cats and a couple of koi.

And yeah, I sense a pets.woot in our future.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
RocRizzo wrote:Yeasties, as I call them.

My ongoing brewing colony of yeasties are my pets.
They party when I give them sugar to eat, then they give me alcohol and CO2 in return.
They don't take up much space, and they reproduce and die off, quickly, so that there are not that many old ones around for too long.
Oh, and did I tell you I have millions of them? They all fit in a quart bottle.
I have had many generations of them for quite a long time now.

They won't purr for you, but they will occasionally give you a buzz.

emurray

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emurray

Chickens & dogs.

candiceb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages candiceb

Two dogs for me. They keep me busy enough.

Over my lifetime I've had a multitude of things. Dogs, cats, hamsters, mice, fish, horses, miniature horses, chickens, ducks, sheep, goats, and cattle. Some might call farm animals more of "production units" than pets, but mine all had names and most of them were quite friendly. Never did eat any of them, so in my mind that makes them pets.