Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3005 Private Messages lichme

This was steaming the Last Time it was sold

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

Every time I see a garment steamer pop up, I'm tempted to buy it. Then I realize I LIKE my clothes all wrinkly!

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3643 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

check out the comments from when this was offered on 8/17/12

http://home.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5125096

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I have this. I love it. I use it almost every day. It's great for my shirt.woot shirts. I line dry them over a clothes rack and this takes the wrinkles and creases out.

I will be honest though, I upgraded to this one from one without the clips. I thought I'd use the clips a lot. I don't.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

excellent price considering it's almost 90 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-S1500-1500-Watt-Classic-Garment/dp/B003ZE63HM

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3643 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out these great reviews (4.5 out of 5.0)over at the O

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sunbeam-S1500-Classic-Garment-Steamer/5169328/product.html

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
ThunderThighs wrote:I have this. I love it. I use it almost every day. It's great for my shirt.woot shirts. I line dry them over a clothes rack and this takes the wrinkles and creases out.

I will be honest though, I upgraded to this one from one without the clips. I thought I'd use the clips a lot. I don't.

WOW! You opened it finally!!! ;)

capguncowboy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages capguncowboy

These are great. They remove wrinkles, but they also do a good job at cleaning up the mess your Cleveland Steamer left behind.

yayobama

quality posts: 12 Private Messages yayobama

'Seems like this would pay for itself in under 10 uses, as dry clearer places won't 'iron' anything without doing a full dry clean. It's a sauna for my shirts.

ThunderThighs

Staff

theguruguys wrote:WOW! You opened it finally!!! ;)

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

I bought a similar one back in 2011 and still use it daily. Fill it up every few days, otherwise it it has been totally maintenance free. Great for getting the wrinkles out of tee shirts, quick and easy. Thicker cargo pants/shorts take a bit longer, but still easier for me than taking the iron / iron board out.

pjeffy

quality posts: 10 Private Messages pjeffy

I bought this on Woot and love it. If you don't already own a steamer...buy it. This is a quality machine for the price. It doesn't spit up water and heats up and is ready to go in about a minute.

5april2063

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 5april2063

I bought this baby a few months ago, and I love it! One of my best woots to date.
I work at a Darden restaurant where we wear white dress shirts that must always be perfectly pressed. This steamer is WAAAAAAAY easier and faster than lugging out the iron. I use it almost every day, and, other than occasionally hesitating to send the steam out (which I suspect is a function of me not using distilled water like I should) it really does work perfectly. I can fire this thing up and have my uniform wrinkle-free and ready to go in under 5 minutes.
The only two downsides: First, despite the pole being collapsible (though not all the way down) and detachable, the base of the steamer is still too large to roll under the bed or into a corner of my small closet. I suggest you find a space out of the way and dedicate it to the steamer if you plan on using it every day, or roll it into a hallway closet (or a walk-in closet) if you won't use it so often. Second, the steamer includes a little clip for making creases, but I've found it hard to use. If you really want that sharp crease, either practice a lot or fire up the iron and seal in that crease for a few washes.

Kizzbot

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Kizzbot

I have one and used it to steam my microfiber couch and chairs. Did an amazing job and saved me a ton of money over having a "professional" come in.

Bingo969

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Bingo969

I bought one of these off the last sale. Works great.
I actually use it to steam wood to soften it so that it will bend into fun shapes.
Setup was easy (and so was taking it apart for uses for which is wasn't intended).
The thing really did heat up FAST.
Was easy to use, just one power switch, no other controls.

My only gripe is that you have to take the reservoir off to refill it - you can't add more water while it's being used. However, unless like me you are steaming big pieces of wood that likely won't be an issue since it does produce steam for just over an hour which should be long enough for any normal use.

ajmyers87

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ajmyers87

Bought this because my wife said she wouldn't iron my clothes anymore. Now she won't steam my clothes anymore. :,(

This machine is super easy to use, I use it almost everyday to freshen up my work clothes, other than that, I'm wrinkles on the weekend.

javaidn01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages javaidn01

Bought one of these a while ago from woot and, I have to say, I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. While I hate ironing, I am actually pretty good at it (wife asks me to iron her clothes often), and I have found that the steamer just doesn't provide the same level of "crispness" as the iron. I'm mostly ironing collared button down shirts that have been home washed and jeans or chinos, and for me the iron is quicker, easier, and gives better results. There are some things this does much better than an iron, like freshening up sport coats and suit jackets, and I've even used it around the house sometimes (e.g., bed skirts still on the bed), but it mostly just sits in the closet unused.

FWIW I don't regret buying it, have had no problems with it, and when I do use it I'm happy with it. But, I don't think you should expect it to replace your iron.

techiegirl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages techiegirl

I bought this on the Woot Off and another for a gift. I love it. I had the older Sunbeam from Woot a few years ago.

The water fill lasts forever and keeps on going.

The included hanger is awkward though. I steam with garments hung off the side clip on my own hangers and only use the pants clip.

No water leaks or anything else, wonderful for steaming drapes, pillows, even the sofa fabric to freshen it up. The trick is to make sure it is really heated up, before steaming.

hot72chev

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev

I am hoping this does not bring horrible flashbacks of my days of working retail in the mall, where I was chained to a steamer for what seemed like an eternity....must bite my lip and jump in for one...tired of being wrinkled.

Trekker1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Trekker1

I got this last go-round as well. I'm happy with what it does. Some fabrics get steamed better than others (though what those are, I don't know...do you expect me to actually look at clothes labels??), but nothing has come out looking bad. The crease attachment is obviously not as good as an iron, but it works pretty darn good.

Overall, it saves me time, and I don't have to hear that sound of the ironing board opening again!

sweetrai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweetrai

I'm really on the fence. I wanted one last time and my hubby vetoed it. We already have a small portable one that someone gave me as a gift (it's really cool, you can travel with it),but I curse everytime I use it because it doesn't have a hanger attachment and thus it's awkward to steam clothes. I asked my hubby to hang a hook from the ceiling so that I can put clothes on hangers and steam that way.....

But, this is looking enticing. Wooters who have this, please tell me your thoughts on the clothes hanger attachment to this. Do you find it useful/easy to use to steam pants and shirts?

rbaehr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rbaehr

Bought this the last time it was here. Great product

Ric0chet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ric0chet

I bought one of these a previous time they were for sale round these parts and I love it. WAY easier and (I've found) more effective than an iron. I use it all the time.

woodister

quality posts: 2 Private Messages woodister

As a bachelor I can't help to think that the ladies aren't flocking in my direction due my wrinkled clothes. It can't be my overpowering fear of talking to people. No that would be ridiculous. It must be the wrinkles. And when the ladies do come, the walk of same won't be quite so bad the next morning. Best pick up line ever. Now to just write in on a note card and hand it out...

Passenger57

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Passenger57

Bought this from Woot late last year, and it's been worth every penny. You won't bypass the iron altogether, but you'll iron a lot less.

You might be able to get an extra wear out of your clothes between washes/dry cleaning.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Bingo969 wrote:I bought one of these off the last sale. Works great.
I actually use it to steam wood to soften it so that it will bend into fun shapes.
Setup was easy (and so was taking it apart for uses for which is wasn't intended).
The thing really did heat up FAST.
Was easy to use, just one power switch, no other controls.

My only gripe is that you have to take the reservoir off to refill it - you can't add more water while it's being used. However, unless like me you are steaming big pieces of wood that likely won't be an issue since it does produce steam for just over an hour which should be long enough for any normal use.

THERE'S an interesting alternative use...

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

After wanting one of these for the longest time, I got a similar model (without the clips) from the same manufacturer at a closeout sale. Unfortunately the threads are warped where the hose connects to the reservoir, so it just sprays steam and water all over once it's energized. Total disappointment, and non-returnable as it was an all sales final kind of deal. I'd still buy another if I had the cash available. The little bit I was able to use it was phenomenal.

sweetrai

I bought one!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

sweetrai wrote:I bought one!

YOU'RE MY FAVORITE OF THE DAY.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

rutabella

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rutabella

We bought one of these the last time it was on sale - don't do it! The steamer head arrived with the plastic bit that the attachments clip on to broken, and when turned on it leaks water everywhere. The steam's flow can't be controlled (and it's not particularly strong), and I've used other steamers before but this is the first one that burned my hand as I was working on my coat.

Bingo969

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Bingo969
PemberDucky wrote:THERE'S an interesting alternative use...

Thanks! BTW - if you look really closely you'll also see this remote BBQ thermometer on the table which I use to keep an eye on the temp inside the steamer. Which was also purchased from Woot and being used for something other than what was intended. Whee!

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS

Before I buy one of these I'll have to check with Jeeves and see if it will make his job any easier.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

theguruguys wrote:WOW! You opened it finally!!! ;)

She opened her, mine is still in the box.

Someday....

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

jackietherussell

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jackietherussell

Add me to the long line of folks who got one last time they came up - I've used it several times and it works a treat! No, it won't put a hard crease in your slacks. But if you buy a new shirt and it's pre-creased, that's a perfect use for the steamer. The hanger and clips are fiddly - I just use my own. I am not a perfectly pressed type of person - just reasonably unwrinkled is fine, so a quick touch-up from the steamer works for me. If you starch, stick with your Rowenta.

sweetrai

PemberDucky wrote:YOU'RE MY FAVORITE OF THE DAY.

joeted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeted

Arrived today and the telescopic pole is bent. Won't extend.

ThunderThighs

Staff

joeted wrote:Arrived today and the telescopic pole is bent. Won't extend.

Drat. Sorry about that. Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

FORUM MODERATOR

dewriter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dewriter

Not to be a dissenter, but ...
What a piece of crap! First off, let me state a few things: My entire family were tailors ... Good tailors. Many is the time I sat in my grandparents’ shop and watched while they carefully steamed beautiful men’s suits, pants and outerwear. I was taught very early on to dress quite well and take care of my clothes. I am picky about my wardrobe. So sue me. It used to be that, lacking a home steamer, I ironed everything, using a pressing cloth, of course. But, as I grew older, that grew tedious. So, after passing it by a few times, I sprang for the Sunbeam steamer on the last go-around.

What a disappointment. As to clothing, this thing MIGHT be barely acceptable for steaming T-shirts, light-weight chinos and shorts, but that’s about it.
Firstly, it isn’t strong enough to get out wrinkles completely. It relaxes, but does not remove them from good shirts, jackets or pants. Attempting to get better results means more steaming until your garment is actually wet. Secondly, even using the included “creaser”, it will not satisfactorily crease anything. And the lint brush moves the lint around, but never actually “removes” it. The clips in the hanger are too weak to hold anything but a light garment. Regular weight slacks quickly end up in a heap on the floor.

I see only two or three possible uses for this thing, none of them clothing related: It MIGHT work for steaming drapes in place. It might work for pressing tablecloths in place. And, it might work for steam cleaning the “grease zone” in a kitchen.

If you are a person who cares what you look like when you leave the house ... Don’t buy this thing.
If you like your pants to have an actual crease where there should be a crease ... Don’t buy this thing.
If the idea of pulling clothes out of the dryer, steaming them, then hanging them in your closet wet, and still wrinkled, doesn’t appeal to you ... Don’t buy this thing.