Staff

Poll: Yard sales?
  • 12.3% - Vital. A part of a home’s life cycle. 224
  • 31.2% - Important. Maybe once every few years. 569
  • 26.2% - Interesting. But I wouldn’t want strangers on my yard. 478
  • 7.9% - Useless. Who’d ever want get rid of anything? 144
  • 22.4% - Great! That’s where I get more stuff! 409
1824 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

Yard Sales and Garage Sales are OK, but I really enjoy going to Estate Sales. People who NEED to get rid of stuff, plus you get to wander through some really nice houses (if you go to the more expensive neighborhoods.)

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser
CatCK wrote:Yard Sales and Garage Sales are OK, but I really enjoy going to Estate Sales. People who NEED to get rid of stuff, plus you get to wander through some really nice houses (if you go to the more expensive neighborhoods.)

I agree, we got some great accessories (lamps, chairs) at a couple of estate sales. And its interesting to see some of those high end homes.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

For selling, yard sales are pretty much a waste of a weekend. Everyone is a lowballer and you end up with half the stuff left over to be hauled to Goodwill anyway. Here's a tip: Skip the middleman. Log everything and take it to Goodwill, then use a program like "It's Deductible" to calculate a fair market price for the stuff you donated and take it off your taxes. You'll end up getting more as a tax write-off than you would get selling it for cash, and you don't have to set up tables and sit around wasting time for three days.

ambergreen

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ambergreen

I've been very successful with garage sales (and estate sales for close family), but I usually have a purpose other than earning the money for myself.

I've run personal sales to earn money for charities, and I've gone around the neighborhoods and grabbed the leftovers from other sales, things other people are getting rid of anyway around the area (give me your stuff please post on craigslist) plus whatever I have in my home...then I have a giant sale. When people want to haggle, I tell them it's for charity...if they want to come back on the last day, then they are welcome. A lot of people understand, and sometimes they just make a donation.

Of course, I have a ton of stuff left, and then I try to find someone else who might need it for their fundraiser, or I itemize and donate to the little thrift store a few blocks away.

Of course, I HATE running these sales. I'm taking a break for a while...possibly forever. And the next time I have to run an estate sale for a family member, I'll probably go crazy.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 39 Private Messages PocketBrain

Yard/Garage/Tag sale if you want to meet the neighbors... and haggle with cheapskate retirees. Otherwise, I agree, donate it and use the fair market value of the stuff to lower your tax bill. Best use of your time. If you really need the money, go back in time and don't buy that stuff! How many screaming monkeys does one person need anyhow?

Woot Stats
Woots/Qty total: 420 duuude
Notable woot events:
  • Sonic Trivia Quiz 1 runner-up. I got Bupkus!
  • Nov. 17 '06: Bought out Kensington PocketMouse Wireless USB Mouse
Barrels of Cheddar obtained:
  • 11/17/06: 1st
  • 12/25/07, 2nd
  • 7/12/08 3rd (1st "want three.")
  • 12/25/08 4th
  • 05/15/09 5th
  • 9/25/09 6th
  • 2/25/10 7TH
  • 4/28/10 8th
  • 7/12/10 9th (BBOC wootlites)
  • 8/20/10 10th
  • 9/22/10 11th
  • 9/14/11 12th
  • 12/25/11 13th
  • 3/22/12 14th

Bobbb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bobbb

Yard and garage sales are just garbage people don't want to take to the dump!