WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: You’re going on vacation. Which of these do you do?
  • 19.5% - I leave a light on. 270
  • 0.3% - I leave a radio on. 4
  • 1.5% - I leave a light and a radio on. 21
  • 19% - I set a timer with a light and a radio plugged in. 263
  • 15% - I ask a neighbor to house sit. 208
  • 13.7% - I do pretty much all the above. 189
  • 30.9% - I burn the house down and dance on the lawn screaming YOU’LL NEVER ROB ME NOW, YOU JERKFACES! AHAHAHAHA! 428
1383 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

brumagem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brumagem

I leave a TV on, I don't know what this radeeo thing is.

k4th3r1n3

quality posts: 17 Private Messages k4th3r1n3

I don't do any of that, am I supposed to? I used to have someone come over to feed my turtle, but I have an automatic feeder now. If someone really wants to rob you they'll see that there's an automatic timer or a light burning 24-7, so it's a waste of electricity I think.

nageltr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nageltr

What is this thing you call a "vacation?"

shubhox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shubhox

None of the above!

BooferFTW

quality posts: 4 Private Messages BooferFTW

We have a security monitoring system with access to the system on our smartphones or through the internet. We also have a cop next door and a retired sheriff across the street as neighbors. We do turn the lights on remotely though from time to time so there is no set schedule.

bblhed

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bblhed

I turn off the water pump and the water heater then I set the thermostat to vacation mode, after all that is done I toss all the stuff in the fridge that can go bad while I am gone then turn off the lights and lock the door on the way out.

You paranoid people do know that if someone wants your stuff they are going to take it right?

antaran

quality posts: 0 Private Messages antaran

What's a "vacation?"

1ezmonkey

quality posts: 6 Private Messages 1ezmonkey

I go to my breaker box and turn off everything except the fridge. Why should I pay for all the energy vampires while I'm gone??

I think I'm getting into Heaven.
WOOT = 130 items
SHIRT.WOOT = 72 shirts
WINE.WOOT = 1 item (can't ship wine to Pa.)
SELLOUT.WOOT = 30 items
KIDS.WOOT = 18 items

asgarbe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asgarbe

I set my lights on timers that vary the schedule from day to day to make it less obvious it's a timer.
I also use a FakeTV. It's a low-energy LED light box that mimics flickering patterns from TVs. It uses a photo cell so it won't run when it's bright out. And it uses that to turn itself on at dusk and stay on for either 4 or 7 hours. Very simple, yet very impressive. From outside, it really looks like someone is watching TV inside.
Of course, I can't prove how effective either of these is except to say that I have not been robbed... yet.

yourtor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yourtor

I put a life size cut out of myself in the window with a thought bubble saying "I'm watching you."

moose123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moose123

Tsk, tsk. Need to know.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

And I notify the alarm monitoring company that we will be gone, so the police will respond to an entrance of the mansion.

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

I leave my alarm on. Duh?

entouragevol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages entouragevol

Adt and video cameras.

entouragevol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages entouragevol
bblhed wrote:I turn off the water pump and the water heater then I set the thermostat to vacation mode, after all that is done I toss all the stuff in the fridge that can go bad while I am gone then turn off the lights and lock the door on the way out.

You paranoid people do know that if someone wants your stuff they are going to take it right?

Call it paranoia, but my video cameras help catch an attempted burglary at my house. When the cops got him he was linked to several dozen burglaries in the area.

bsanf3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsanf3

The house keeps itself entertained through the home automation system and I remotely check on it.

phredt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phredt

Am i the only person who's concerned by the fact that the most popular response is just to burn the whole house down?