zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3651 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

lots of good reviews (3.6 out of 5.0) over at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Dyson-DC23-TurbineHead-Canister-Vacuum/dp/B002NVRPM0

deafinoneear

quality posts: 9 Private Messages deafinoneear

My wife and I have been waiting a couple weeks for woot to offer another Dyson for the preschool.

Daily vacuuming, various rugs of different thicknesses, employees who don't seem to understand how expensive a vacuum is, and also have trouble replacing vacuum bags.

So what's the deal, wooters, does this fit the bill?

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
deafinoneear wrote:My wife and I have been waiting a couple weeks for woot to offer another Dyson for the preschool.

Daily vacuuming, various rugs of different thicknesses, employees who don't seem to understand how expensive a vacuum is, and also have trouble replacing vacuum bags.

Yep.
I wouldn't pay full price for a dyson, but IMO, at woot prices they are a bargain.
Nothing at this price point will clean as well.
We've had ours for about a year and it's been excellent.
We have wood floors throughout and large wool area rugs. Cleans it all extremely well.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
deafinoneear wrote:My wife and I have been waiting a couple weeks for woot to offer another Dyson for the preschool.

This isn't great for rugs. You have to clean out the beater bar every 5square feet or something clogs it.

And while continence might not be bags strong point I have yet to use any bagless that doesn't puff up a cloud of dust, and dump some on the floor by the garbage no matter how you shake it. Also since the bottom drops out of this you really need an empty bin to empty the vacuum into.

Also the attachments don't spin on the hose, so it is harder to get into corners and other tight spaces with them and vacuum the walls and ceiling.

I do have this model. It works well on the suction score, but adds other inconveniences that make it par for a $200 vacuum rather than better.

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

Home.woot plus has some other vacuums. Have you seen them ?
http://home.woot.com/plus/pamper-your-floor-with-vacuums

clevernamehere

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clevernamehere

I bought a dyson vacuum from the last woot-off (different model, I have Dyson® DC33 20333-05 Multi Floor Vacuum) and I LOVE it. I used my old vacuum first then used the dyson and I was amazed at how much dust the dyson got up! For anyone looking for a new vacuum, I would 100% recommend getting a dyson and you can't beat woot's price.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

I would have bought this but Dyson came out with the ball canister vacuum, making this style a thing of the past. Will wait for the ball canister to show up on woot. Better yet, am waiting for a canister with motorized beater brush and possibly their digital motor.

jimmer2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimmer2007

Ok so here's my deal:
I have a guinea pig who likes to rearrange her wood shavings. Onto my living room floor.
I also have a cat who flings her litter. Also onto my floor.

I typically use a ShopVac to get this stuff up, then use my crappy vacuum to finish up.

Think I could replace the two with this one?

bethgraff

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bethgraff

I think some of these pictures show the motorhead and not the air-driven turbinehead that is being sold. This could be confusing. The last picture is definitely the turbinehead attachment.

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin
lwang wrote:I would have bought this but Dyson came out with the ball canister vacuum, making this style a thing of the past. Will wait for the ball canister to show up on woot. Better yet, am waiting for a canister with motorized beater brush and possibly their digital motor.

I have the DC39 (the ball canister vac) and it is awesome. I'm actually kinda happy it hasn't shown up on Woot, yet. Since the Dysons here are mostly refurbs, that tells me that there aren't a whole lot of DC39s being returned.

As for a motorized head on a canister, don't expect it from Dyson. To do that they would need to run an electrical line down the hose and the wand. The turbine head is MUCH easier to implement since it's using the airflow of the suction to drive the turbine which then drives the beater bar. No messy electrical line to run. On uprights, the beater head is right at the main motor, so it's no big deal putting a small electrically run motor in the beater head. Canisters can't say that.

mattsbrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattsbrown
lwang wrote:I would have bought this but Dyson came out with the ball canister vacuum, making this style a thing of the past. Will wait for the ball canister to show up on woot. Better yet, am waiting for a canister with motorized beater brush and possibly their digital motor.

Is this the type you are talking about? http://home.woot.com/offers/dyson-dc25-upright-ball-vacuum-24

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bethgraff wrote:I think some of these pictures show the motorhead and not the air-driven turbinehead that is being sold. This could be confusing. The last picture is definitely the turbinehead attachment.

I see what you mean. I sent it in for fixing. Thanks for pointing that out.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

lichme

quality posts: 3014 Private Messages lichme

Dyson does make a great vacuum, but I still think they are overpriced. I have been using my shark for the past 6 months, and I think it performs as well at almost half the cost at reg price.

sublime-1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sublime-1

Well 38% of reviewers on amazon rate it 3 or below.

If they're really trying to impress anyone, this is the wrong price point.

$149.00 is probably about right for an entry level canister.

Oreck is much more highly regarded.

salpo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages salpo

Just a question out of curiosity? Are we sure this is the TurbineHead? Every TurbineHead I found online is purple, while the MotorHead is yellow. Can someone from woot confirm that this is in fact a TurbineHead (and maybe the difference between the two?;) ) Thanks!

spanky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spanky
conanthelibrarian wrote:lots of good reviews (3.6 out of 5.0) over at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Dyson-DC23-TurbineHead-Canister-Vacuum/dp/B002NVRPM0

Thanks for the link. There are enough reviews at Amazon to make a reasonably informed purchasing decision after culling out the silly reviews. The turbine head seems to be the biggest concern. The reviewers note that it is prone to become clogged and requires continuous manual intervention to clear it.
I own the upright Animal model and am very pleased with the performance of that unit.

stan22942

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stan22942

Can anyone recommend between this one (DC23) and the DC25? It seems they have the same suction power, with one being the canister and the other being an upright, with a $50 difference in price.

ThunderThighs

Staff

salpo wrote:Just a question out of curiosity? Are we sure this is the TurbineHead? Every TurbineHead I found online is purple, while the MotorHead is yellow. Can someone from woot confirm that this is in fact a TurbineHead (and maybe the difference between the two?;) ) Thanks!

The only difference between Dyson models besides the color are the accessories included. The Motorhead attachment is not included in this sale.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

salpo

ThunderThighs wrote:The only difference between Dyson models besides the color are the accessories included. The Motorhead attachment is not included in this sale.

Oh, so the machine itself is basically the same. The only difference is the attachments, right? So, I could, technically, attach a motorhead to this, buying it separately, correct? Or is there any hardware limitation to this plan?

salpo

AHHHH! Got the difference:
■Turbine head brush bar is driven by air for cleaning short to medium length carpet. The brush bar can be turned off if required.

■Motorized brushbar with powerful bristles for deep cleaning and removal of dirt and pet hair.

(see http://www.justlabradors.com/forum/odds-ends/107059-dyson-peep-difference-between-turbinehead-motorhead.html )

Apparently the two machines are different in nature, therefore the motorhead cannot fit the turbinehead model. Or can it? Man, I wish I was a vacuum-expert!

sdownin

salpo wrote:Oh, so the machine itself is basically the same. The only difference is the attachments, right? So, I could, technically, attach a motorhead to this, buying it separately, correct? Or is there any hardware limitation to this plan?

There's a hardware limitation to the plan.

Dyson does not run the requisite electrical line through the hose or the wand. Thus there's no electrical feed to power a electrically motorized brush head. That's why the Dyson canister vacs all come with turbine heads. The airflow from the suction can drive the turbine without the need for any electrical power at the brush head.

--edit--
For those unfamilar with a turbine, it's essentially just a high-tech fan blade. If you can force airflow through the fan blade (as vacuum suction will do), that airflow will make the turbine fan blade spin. You can then use that spinning fan blade to make the beater bar spin, too. It gets a little more complex in the engineering of it, but that's the basic principle it operates on.

salpo

sdownin wrote:There's a hardware limitation to the plan.

Dyson does not run the requisite electrical line through the hose or the wand. Thus there's no electrical feed to power a electrically motorized brush head. That's why the Dyson canister vacs all come with turbine heads. The airflow from the suction can drive the turbine without the need for any electrical power at the brush head.

Awesome, thank you SO much for the explanation!

fjohnson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fjohnson

In the picture of this unit it shows the swivel"ball" but says it's a fixed wheel.

tonispinone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tonispinone

I purchased the blue version several months back. I will be buying another vacuum. It does have great suction but like someone else stated, it clogs every few feet. Then you take off the plate, unclog it, spill all kinds of dust on the floor while doing so, start it up again, vacuum where you spilled the dust and within a minute it clogs again. I don't enjoy vacuuming and I certainly don't want to spend 3 times as much time doing it having to unclog and revacuum etc. The air turbine head is just this side of useless but that could be because of the constant clogging.

If you vacuum daily, don't have pets, don't have kids, don't get leaves, grass or tissues or really anything but dust on your carpet or floor then this will probably work great for you.

The dirt canister does not bother me. I've been using bagless for years. I started with the Phantom which is the precursor to the Dyson brand and let me tell you Dyson doesn't come close to the Phantom vacuum. But then nothing else does either. I empty the canister over the outside trash bin. I'd much rather do that than what I had to do with my Oreck. You had to wrestle the bag out and it weighed a TON if you let it get even 3/4 full. So, I'm still in search of something that comes close to my old Phantom, which I had repaired until they couldn't get parts for it anymore.

jmhallmark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmhallmark
jimmer2007 wrote:Ok so here's my deal:
I have a guinea pig who likes to rearrange her wood shavings. Onto my living room floor.

I typically use a ShopVac to get this stuff up, then use my crappy vacuum to finish up.

This machine will not replace the cat and the guinea pig. Sorry.

sdownin

jmhallmark stole my thunder, but if you want a serious answer, I'd say yes.

The cat litter won't clog the brush head at all, unless your cat is flinging clumps and turds out of the litter box.

For larger perticles like the hamster shavings, if they clog the brush head (which they might not) you can try the crevice tool instead, or you can use the hose with no head attached if you want the largest possible particle opening. However you'd also want to check the inlet port on the bin, since that will limit what can pass through the hose into the bin. On the DC39, the bin inlet port is about 2-1/2"x3/4", so I'd want to limit the "particle" size to less than that if I'm just using the hose with no attachment. I don't know how big the bin inlet port is on the DC23.

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee
jmhallmark wrote:This machine will not replace the cat and the guinea pig. Sorry.

ROFLMAO

Thanks. I needed that.

sdownin

sdownin wrote:There's a hardware limitation to the plan.

Ugh. Looks like I have to amend my statement.

Evidently, looking through the user manuals on Dyson's website, they DID offer the DC23 with a motorized head option (the DC23 Motorhead). And the pictures that Woot is using seem to be the Dyson marketing shots of the motorized version.

The DC23 Motorhead vac is the yellow version. It comes with a three section telescoping aluminum tube/wand. I would assume that DOES have electrical leads running through the wand, and I'd imagine it has a different hose, also with the electrical leads.

The DC23 Turbinehead is the blue version. It has an all-plastic two-piece telescoping tube/wand. I would assume that there are no electrical leads going through the hose and the wand, but I may very well be mistaken. I don't know if the canister base is the same as the motorhead version (the motorized version would have to have an electrical hook-up at the hose attach point. The turbinehead version doesn't necessarily need that.)

Given these are refurbs, I'm not sure whether they're motorized ones or not. (It's possible it could be a motorized version, just shipped with the turbine head.) I guess Woot! would need to let us know.

KAZANOW

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KAZANOW

I bought one of these a year ago. It is a waste of money. It is a P.O.S. The head leaves a stripe of dirt right down the center. We have Birds that throw their seed and bedding, it does a poor job of picking it up. The vacuum sits unused in a corner. To expensive to throw away, to honest to sell without full disclosure, and too crappy to use.

jennage8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jennage8
sdownin wrote:Ugh. Looks like I have to amend my statement.

Evidently, looking through the user manuals on Dyson's website, they DID offer the DC23 with a motorized head option (the DC23 Motorhead). And the pictures that Woot is using seem to be the Dyson marketing shots of the motorized version.

The DC23 Motorhead vac is the yellow version. It comes with a three section telescoping aluminum tube/wand. I would assume that DOES have electrical leads running through the wand, and I'd imagine it has a different hose, also with the electrical leads.

The DC23 Turbinehead is the blue version. It has an all-plastic two-piece telescoping tube/wand. I would assume that there are no electrical leads going through the hose and the wand, but I may very well be mistaken. I don't know if the canister base is the same as the motorhead version (the motorized version would have to have an electrical hook-up at the hose attach point. The turbinehead version doesn't necessarily need that.)

Given these are refurbs, I'm not sure whether they're motorized ones or not. (It's possible it could be a motorized version, just shipped with the turbine head.) I guess Woot! would need to let us know.

Any word from Woot! on this? Is it turbine or motorized??

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
sdownin wrote:Ugh. Looks like I have to amend my statement.

I know they had the DC23 motorhead, which got its motorhead technology from the upright ball vacuums, since pre-ball models had a single motor to power both the beater brush and fan.

Apparently the DC23 motorhead was not very popular. I just thought the canister motorheads would become the de-facto standard once they figured how to put it on the head.

They came out with the digital motor many years ago in a miniature canister model aimed specifically for japan. You would have thought it would eventually propagate down to all the models, but I guess not.

As for refurbs, last time I googelplex'd it, it was around, but with a pretty high price.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3651 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

great reviews over at overstock

stan22942

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stan22942

Has anyone had their vacuum ship yet? Still "awaiting shipping" for me.

ThunderThighs

Staff

stan22942 wrote:Has anyone had their vacuum ship yet? Still "awaiting shipping" for me.

While often faster, we ask that you allow up to 5 business days for processing and shipping out. You can email support@woot.com for more info if desired.

FORUM MODERATOR

entropomorphic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages entropomorphic

Just for posterity's sake, I bought this vacuum received the motorized-head version, despite the fact it was advertised as the turbinehead , which works great. I would have been fine with the turbinehead (not too many carpets in my house), but I didn't pay extra for it, so it's fine with me! My only complaint is that the entire wand assembly is quite bulky even without the head attached, although I doubt the motorhead version that much bulkier than the turbinehead.