quality posts: 3107 Private Messages lichme

Item: Wisdom Panel Doggie DNA Test
Price: $49.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

chefbooyadee

quality posts: 38 Private Messages chefbooyadee

Finally, a way to tell who the father is without Maury.

lichme

quality posts: 3107 Private Messages lichme

More info and instructions on the Product Page

tapps

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tapps

you are NOT the father.

Quasiskunk

quality posts: 37 Private Messages Quasiskunk

Gives new meaning to "Who S@#$%ed the pooch"

pjfavia

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pjfavia

This is awesome! We know our dog is part Corgi, but not sure what the other half is. Very odd for a Home offering, but it's not a home without a dog, right?

[MOD: Changed so we can see the pic!]

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3795 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's watch the test in action

djalliduck

quality posts: 23 Private Messages djalliduck

Is this in the 'home' section because dogs are a part of your home? Or?

Cultjam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cultjam

I used the first version on the runt from a litter of puppies I fostered. The mother was a short, stocky staffie mix and I had found her running stray. The litter is tall except for the runt who looks like a stocky boxer/pit mix. Their coloring was all generic pit/staffie.

I tested the runt and have to say I think the results nailed it. It found Boxer/Rottweiller in a grandparent. The three bigger dogs got the Rottie body and legs.

Here's a pic of the litter:

They've added many more breeds since I used the test. I may have to buy another because my latest foster litter is another mystery. Momma is a Jack Russell Terrier mix. None of the puppies are white like her and the runt looks like a tiny dachshund. Genetics are so interesting!

kelslee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kelslee

These things are fun (and I've done this exact test), but please remember that nothing is 100% accurate and don't take the results to heart. It's a fun way to see if your guesses might be right, but there's also a chance that the results can be skewed (or that your dog might look like something but test as something else).

I tested my little brown dog a few months ago and she came back mutt/whippet mixed with GSD/mastiff. But she has the looks, instincts, drive, and personality (and has been registered through United Kennel Club) as a purebred Kelpie. This is the picture I sent in to UKC to get her registered:
[MOD: Changed so we could see pic!]

She's got the ears of the whippet (but also Kelpie ears that just didn't stand up all the way) and the herding instincts of a GSD (though Kelpies are also herding dogs), but other than that I found the test kind of a joke. Mastiff? Really? She weighs 38 pounds and is fairly thin boned and has zero mastiff tendencies. The shelter I rescued her from had her listed as a Rottweiler/GSD mix - and I told everybody that that idea was kind of a joke. I DO have a Rottweiler/GSD mix and she looks nothing like this little brown dog here. Totally different personality, too!

My bosses also tested all four of their dogs with the same test and had some pretty whack results as well. Since all four of their pups are total mutts, it was interesting to see what they came up as, but, again, nobody took the results to heart.

Wisdom Panel includes a little section on each determined breed and tells you to use it as a "training tool" when doing training or activities with your dog - that part is the biggest joke of all and please don't think that just because your dog has part GSD you have to train it like one - each dog, especially mixed breeds, are totally individuals and learn in their own way. Find a reputable trainer that you enjoy working with and they will likely help you work with your dog on an individual basis.

But if you've got a Heinz 57 and just looking to do something kind of fun for your pet (it really is kind of exciting waiting for the results and reading them when they first get published), buy one. I don't regret doing it, and maybe I'll do a re-test in the future to see if I get the same results.

MsWriter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MsWriter

I got one of these kits a year ago, when I adopted a rescue -- obviously part, but not all, poodle. Turns out she's a Choodle -- purebred miniature poodle for three generations on one side, and purebred chihuahua back three generations on the other. Worth every penny to satisfy the question "what kind of dog is that?"

kelslee

pjfavia wrote:This is awesome! We know our dog is part Corgi, but not sure what the other half is. Very odd for a Home offering, but it's not a home without a dog, right?

http://i.imgur.com/xsfPgaH.jpg

Hard to tell exact size from a picture, but your pup has the body shape/structure (and those ears!) of a cattle dog or a Kelpie. Kelpies come in black and tan and the cattle dogs are mottled like the speckles she has on her muzzle and legs. I don't see anything outright just on her physical appearance from that picture that screams Corgi to me, but sometimes they don't always look like what they are.

Would be interesting to see your results if you do get the test!

gothicchic21

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gothicchic21

We did it through the vet, and here is our mostly lhasa apso, according to the results

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape

I did this test early last year on my dog who I thought was 100% American Staffordshire Terrier. She was big for a staffie though, and little kids always thought she was an American Bulldog. I never saw bulldog in her until her face got swollen from a bee sting.

13 days later, I got her results back: 50% American Staffordshire Terrier and 50% American Bulldog! It explained why was so big for a staffie; she was actually small for a bulldog.

We have another dog now, and despite everyone thinking he was a mini Border Collie or Australian Shepherd, he came back as 25% Miniature Pinscher, 25% Chihuahua (long-hair I assume), and the rest is a mixed bag. I'm sure it's not 100% accurate, but it is fun nonetheless. You can't really tell in the picture, but he definitely has facial features and a tail like a long-haired chihuahua, but he also has tall skinny legs and the weird, hackney gait that minpins have.

Here's a pie chart I had made using Jake's results:

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape

Might as well share Penny's results too:

malnpudl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malnpudl

I wouldn't get too excited about this. Three years ago I had this test run on a dog known to be half German shepherd and at least one-fourth (and possibly half) great Dane; the results came back as basset hound and Alaskan Malamute. I suspect they need another decade or so to build their breed DNA database and nail down the breed-specific markers.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
gothicchic21 wrote:We did it through the vet, and here is our mostly lhasa apso, according to the results

Surprised you needed a test to verify the obvious.

AUBrian1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AUBrian1

We tried one of these on our little grey poodle mix, and the results came back as half poodle, 1/4 german shorthair pointer, and a variety of other things including chow. I'm more inclined to go with half poodle, half schnauzer myself....fun to try, but the results were somewhat less than believeable.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 98 Private Messages radi0j0hn

So this doggy DNA test will forever negate the old claim, "I never touched the b*tch!"

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

jarrodrandel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jarrodrandel
gothicchic21 wrote:We did it through the vet, and here is our mostly lhasa apso, according to the results

lol

Jdclayton7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jdclayton7

I bought this for my girlfriend for Christmas to get our mutt tested. Now she's running aroun telling everyone our dog is a Pomeranian because the test said she was half. The dog shares zero qualities of a Pomeranian (she's a black terrier mix). Kind of fun, and the other half o the test seemed pretty close. I would not buy again though...

suedelp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suedelp
Cultjam wrote:I used the first version on the runt from a litter of puppies I fostered. The mother was a short, stocky staffie mix and I had found her running stray. The litter is tall except for the runt who looks like a stocky boxer/pit mix. Their coloring was all generic pit/staffie.

I tested the runt and have to say I think the results nailed it. It found Boxer/Rottweiller in a grandparent. The three bigger dogs got the Rottie body and legs.

They've added many more breeds since I used the test. I may have to buy another because my latest foster litter is another mystery. Momma is a Jack Russell Terrier mix. None of the puppies are white like her and the runt looks like a tiny dachshund. Genetics are so interesting!

Oh! Mr. Goodbar!...they are the cutest things I have ever seen!!! Great pic!!!

snaysneed

tjdercks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tjdercks
conanthelibrarian wrote:Let's watch the test in action

Funny video!

She said she'd post a results video, but I can not find it? Wonder if the results were so bizarre, that she decided not to do one?

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000

Hmm. Last month at a annual checkup for our 10 year old rescue mutt, I was offered a blood version of the DNA match. It was $150 and I thought it would be fun to finally find out about our Sweet Pea. So, they took the sample. Of course 5 minutes later they found a $1000 tumor that had to be removed...but I digress. Based on the results of the blood test, we think we have a great idea of her background. I am very curious if a $50 swab sample will give us the same results or another mutant breed...

dabdo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dabdo

I'm really interested. Does anyone know if one package can be used on more than one dog? I have two dogs...so do I need to buy two separate tests?

AUBrian1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AUBrian1
dabdo wrote:I'm really interested. Does anyone know if one package can be used on more than one dog? I have two dogs...so do I need to buy two separate tests?

2 dogs would require 2 tests.

dabdo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dabdo
AUBrian1 wrote:2 dogs would require 2 tests.

Thanks for the help!

jds4life

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jds4life
dabdo wrote:I'm really interested. Does anyone know if one package can be used on more than one dog? I have two dogs...so do I need to buy two separate tests?

Two dogs, you need two tests.

pjfavia

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pjfavia
kelslee wrote:Hard to tell exact size from a picture, but your pup has the body shape/structure (and those ears!) of a cattle dog or a Kelpie. Kelpies come in black and tan and the cattle dogs are mottled like the speckles she has on her muzzle and legs. I don't see anything outright just on her physical appearance from that picture that screams Corgi to me, but sometimes they don't always look like what they are.

Would be interesting to see your results if you do get the test!

Yeah, she didn't get the stubby legs of a Corgi, but you can see it in her face when you push her neck scruff forward. We were told she was a Corgi mix when we rescued her, and other people have seen it in her. The vet also thinks she is part cattle dog, but it will be fun to use the test to find out for sure.

lmiyoshi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lmiyoshi

I foster for a rescue organization and use these tests all the time. (I scour for good deals online) Potential adopters always want to know "What is she?"

Occasionally the results are quite surprising (borderline unbelievable), but most of the time they seem on the money.

steveferdelman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steveferdelman
tjdercks wrote:Funny video!

She said she'd post a results video, but I can not find it? Wonder if the results were so bizarre, that she decided not to do one?

Here it is....

[MOD: Embedded video. Also, I think that's v1 of the kit.]

maliaog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maliaog

Thanks for this review. I've got a nice poi dog/mutt/Heinz 57 on my hands and people are always dying to know "what he is" (besides "a dog"). I was concerned that these type of tests would come back telling me he is part Husky and part German Shepherd (he weighs in at around 20 pounds). I realize this could still happen, but it's not as likely as I was imagining... and yes, ADORABLE puppies.

Cultjam wrote:I used the first version on the runt from a litter of puppies I fostered. The mother was a short, stocky staffie mix and I had found her running stray. The litter is tall except for the runt who looks like a stocky boxer/pit mix. Their coloring was all generic pit/staffie.

kpatterson67

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kpatterson67

I've been meaning to order one of these for my mutt. When he was a baby, they thought he was a Jack Russell Terrier mix, but then he kept getting bigger. Now he's about the size of my basset hounds (but taller). I think he's 1/4 corgi, 1/4 beagle, 1/4 basset, and the rest a mix.

catfoody

quality posts: 0 Private Messages catfoody

Bunk at any price. There is no legal defensibility for this test, no publication of the methodology, and no independent verification. YouTube is full of videos debunking the results, to comical effect.

The underlying data was essentially repurposed from genetic health screens without the direct knowledge or permission of those using the screening tools.

Oh, and this is brought to you by Mars Company... ethics have no meaning to this company.

kelslee

jmbunkin wrote:Surprised you needed a test to verify the obvious.

Sometimes that's the fun of these tests - to see how accurate they really are.

moondrake

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moondrake

What a great photo, Cultjam! It's tempting to try it on a purebred just to see what it said. Too expensive for pure curiosity for me.

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz

And if you want to check your own DNA go to Geno 2.0 - Genographic Project . You may even find you are part Neanderthal or Denisovan.

smtmf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smtmf

Question for the wiser wooters here:
Does it say anywhere how many breeds they have in their database? I had seen some other tests that had less than 100 breeds. I would think that the more breeds covered, the more accurate the testing can be. Thanks in advance.

SAS68

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SAS68

If this was for humans, I would buy a few for my brother. His "girlfriend" likes to get pregnant, even when they are not together, but he is convinced he is the father.