WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Which of these jobs is the coolest? Explain your choice in the comments.
  • 46.8% - Train Conductor 216
  • 40.3% - Tugboat Captain 186
  • 2.4% - Chimney Sweep 11
  • 10.6% - Candlestick Maker 49
462 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

photobobk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages photobobk

Back when I was a little guy (and keep in mind this was the 50's), Mom would take me downtown to buy clothes or whatever in the big department stores (no malls or wally worlds back then), I thought the coolest job in the world would be an elevator operator.

Damn, I'm old...

SDL69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SDL69

Why does the majority think being a conductor is the coolest and not one explanation?

All they do, for the most part, is sit on their butts all day, take notes and watch the engineer run the train.

Having been both a conductor and engineer, I'd say the engineer's job is way cooler.

Calgaltoal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Calgaltoal
photobobk wrote:Back when I was a little guy (and keep in mind this was the 50's),

Damn, I'm old...

Damn, I am right there with you! We are not old, age is a state of mind, my mind says I'm thirty. My body tells a different story.

cm20158

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cm20158

I have always loved music and conducting on a train would be awesome.

davoh

quality posts: 8 Private Messages davoh

Oh to be a candlestick maker. I imagine I'd live in some serene little village, where tourists stop from time to time to take in the local charm. I'd have a little shop out of which I'd gouge tourists with huge markups on my products. My house would be out back so I could just stroll to work in my Birkenstock sandals and denim overalls.

Discord

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Discord

I don't have to explain myself.

glynis37

quality posts: 13 Private Messages glynis37

Train Conductor - the tracks control where you go.

Train Conductor - the other boats and barges control where you go.

Train Conductor - the chimney controls where you go.

Candlestick Maker - make as many as you want of whatever size color and scent. You go!

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-ee!
A sweep is as lucky
As lucky can be

moles1138

quality posts: 46 Private Messages moles1138

Train conductor because Trains

baildawg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baildawg

tug boat captain because you get to drive this crazy strong boat and can help when a huge ship is in trouble.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 86 Private Messages daveinwarshington

AudioFreq

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AudioFreq

Works for me...

"Tugboat captains earn attractive salaries. According to a 2013 story in the "Hampton Roads Daily Press," tugboat captains earn between $400 and $800 per day. Captains whose licenses allow them to tug large vessels tend to earn the most. Tugboat captains usually work about 180 days per year."

AudioFreq

keitht56

quality posts: 1 Private Messages keitht56

What about lighthouse keeper? I wanna marry a lighthouse keeper and live by the side of the sea.

xtopgun32x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xtopgun32x

I asked my buddy at work the other what his dream job would be. He said tugboat captain. Figures it would show up on a Woot survey. So we looked up what it would take to become said tugboat captain. Years. Many, many years haha. And hours...lots and lots of hours. My dream job would be a driver in F1, P1, or something along those lines. Zoom zoom.

ajkworld

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajkworld
cm20158 wrote:I have always loved music and conducting on a train would be awesome.

Nice!

isrousro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages isrousro

What type of tugboat?
ITB, Harbor, Ocean, Inland Waterway or etc. ?

Calgaltoal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Calgaltoal

My brother was a tugboat pilot, the youngest at that time to ever get his licence, before he was old enough to be one, 21. He had to study every inlet and tributaries on all the rivers. He made great money. He would be on the boat 20 or 30 days at a time, with 10 to 20 days off. He pushed barges down every major river from Kentucky, Mobile to New Orleans. He loved it because he loved being outside and on the water.

ardubu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ardubu

Train Conductor -Don't like trains.
Tugboat Captain -Don't like the water.
Chimney Sweep -Don't like getting dirty.

Candlestick Maker - Yes.
1. Light up peoples life.
2. Get to burn candles at both ends.
3. I can 'wax' about the life I've lived.
4. I can mind my beeswax.
5. Meet John Wick?
6. Meet Jack, the nimble one.
7. Don't worry about hazardous materials.
8. Need fire insurance.
9. Contract out for Romantic and Horror Films.
10. Live near a Beekeeper, get some honey too!

Ah, the hell with it.

Blueswordangel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blueswordangel

Candlestick maker. Two words:
Creative Control

bklynba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bklynba

I >>was<< a train conductor, years and years ago. I wasn't in an office, got to wear a semi-cool uniform, stuck my head out the window as the train started up, and obliterated my fear of public speaking.

snipesg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snipesg

Train Conductor. 'Cuz I like to sleep on the job.