WootBot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you tip at restaurants if you get your food to-go?
  • 0% - Yep 0
  • 0% - Nope 0
0 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Calgaltoal

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Calgaltoal

Yes and the amount may increase as their courtesies increase. I tip at Subway.

terrendon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages terrendon

After having worked for 16 years in the business, I know how it is and I always tip. Eat in or take out, I give a tip. Unless it's a Tom Douglas place. He pays a better than fare wage.

Bonkars

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bonkars

I tip for take-out depending on where I'm taking out from. No tipping fast food joints.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 63 Private Messages PocketBrain

Tipping is of the Devil. Restaurants should pay a living wage in the first place. Studies show that even if a server gives really outstanding service, they only get about 10% more tip on average than totally blah service.

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 97 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Fast food- If they show great service, a small tip.

Restaurant food to go- Yes, especially if it's a place I frequent.

Some places are now including tips on the bill, that's something I don't like. I've had outstandingly horrible service a few times & would prefer they not get their 20+%...

baildawg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baildawg

I ask the person who gives me the food to have the tip money go to the kitchen staff

azcanadienne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azcanadienne

Not McDonalds, BK, Taco Bell, etc - but every other kind of place...yep

Vcluke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vcluke

I think it was a great question. How I was raised you can put at least $1 in the tip jar or cup out of courtesy (for getting good service as you're checking out. A dollar isn't going to make you or break you.

Vcluke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vcluke
azcanadienne wrote:Not McDonalds, BK, Taco Bell, etc - but every other kind of place...yep

I agree with this.

Marcusx70

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Marcusx70

If they have a place to tip, I do. Even if I am just picking it up. I know how much they get and tips are part of that.

snarkyman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages snarkyman

I tip at small businesses like the local pizza or Thai place, even if the owner is taking my money at the counter. I also try to pay cash so they don't get nailed with the credit card fees. If I have to use a card, I tip about 3% more to cover the fees.

Dollie2011

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dollie2011

I was at a take-out section of a restaurant. Mainly phone in orders. It was separate from main restaurant. One staff member was commenting how lousy tippers were that day. So I never left a tip and never will again. Just a tip for taking my money. Staff were not pleasant.

Discord

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Discord

If the take out pickup is at the bar then yes. The bartender is taking their attention from their customers to help me.

keebz4life

quality posts: 1 Private Messages keebz4life

almost always at least enough to round the dollar up at sit-down restaurants when I just get their takeout, but almost never at fast food joints.

ardubu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ardubu

If I like the food and the service - yes.
I don't eat at fast food places.
I'm older, and I like to sit in a comfortable place if I eat out.
I tip myself - I normally cook at home.

Ah, the hell with it.

whowootwho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whowootwho

That is exactly how I feel. Pay a living wage and do not expect the customer to supplement wages. Once the gratuity became taxable it became a wage and is the employers place not mine.

whowootwho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whowootwho

That is exactly how I feel. Pay a living wage and do not expect the customer to supplement wages. Once the gratuity became taxable it became a wage and is the employers place not mine.

nicktherobot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicktherobot

I tip at every eating establishment whether it's outback steak house or taco bell y'all gotta remember they are the ones making our food don't piss them off lol

bruinim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bruinim

TIPS and Gratuity are not the same. TIPS=To Insure Proper Service is to be provided before the service is rendered. An example would be when you want a good table at the club. Gratuity is provided after the service to demonstrate appreciation.

roarkesq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roarkesq

Why should I tip someone whose only service to me is to take my money for the food?

intrepid01

quality posts: 4 Private Messages intrepid01

Tips are generally pooled. They get paid little compared to most of you who don't feel like tipping.

All of you who feel the owner should pay a living wage, here's news: your sentiments are unknown to them and it isn't going to happen. But it is felt by the staff.

Consider if you could pay for health insurance on their wages or feed a child. So yes, I try to tip 5-8% for take out unless the service is exceptionally poor.

At ethnic and small eateries 18-22% for sit down because wait staff are only required to be paid $2.13 (no typo) per hour as a cash wage under Federal law.

searchneverend

quality posts: 5 Private Messages searchneverend

i dont get it. You guys tip for take out but the same doesn't apply to fast food and yet demand better service when it comes to fast food. I dont understand why is it so different. Yes, i used to work at fast food, and more than once i had to put up with someone drunk, dbag, a$$-hooole with atitude who expect fast, fresh, burgers like in the picture. if anything we had to make it and serve it. and if you think its just flipping a burger and putting in the bun, better get a job and work for a week. oh before you say better get a different job, to those of you, well these days you have to call a month in advance to see if I have anytime to see you in the next month or so.... Yes i'm darn proud of myself!!!

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd?

SamToo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SamToo

I normally tip 20% at a restaurant. As for carryout, I normally tip in the 10-15% range (depending on amount of bill). I do not tip at fast food or drive through.

gabeshuman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gabeshuman

Yup. The minimum wage for servers is abysmal. It's also a job I was lucky enough to never have had. Other parts of the world consider waiting tables a noble profession. It's just we snobby Americans who do not. Even if I'm taking my food away, someone, or several someones, have worked to get it for me. And I usually tip at least 25%.